Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Needed: Tips and tricks to fly in spectating Portugal

Since we 'mericans now have something to cheer for on the stages, I figure I owe it to them and should make the effort to come out and see them rally.

Ive been to 10 or so WRC events in different countries (Germany, Finland, Sweden), so I know how the events work, but I need your tips on planning a trip!

I'm thinking of spending 10 days, bookending the rally with days on the beach at a resort, Likely fly in to Lisbon. Which town is best to stay in for rally access? Lagos? Faro? Something else? Special favorite place to stay? Certain stage groupings to see?

Pick up hired car in Lisbon, or Faro? Take the train from Lisbon to Faro?

Rally fans, your input is appreciated!
    Ken & Alex in WRC? Awesome!http://www.monsterworldrallyteam.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXedUSA
    Since we 'mericans now have something to cheer for on the stages, I figure I owe it to them and should make the effort to come out and see them rally.

Ive been to 10 or so WRC events in different countries (Germany, Finland, Sweden), so I know how the events work, but I need your tips on planning a trip!

I'm thinking of spending 10 days, bookending the rally with days on the beach at a resort, Likely fly in to Lisbon. Which town is best to stay in for rally access? Lagos? Faro? Something else? Special favorite place to stay? Certain stage groupings to see?

Its not too difficult to plan, especially when you have a lot of time, check out where the stages are, choose a Hotel that is near, and because you have plenty of time it would be clever to drive truh the stages a few days earlier, to find good spots to spectate, and go early enough to the stages, and dont make too tight program for you self.
    And use map instead of navigator, check also the map carefully to find possible shortcuts to the next stages.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Liked 581 Times in 213 Posts
    I am looking at going as well to this one though I cannot get any extra time off work so would be leaving Edinburgh after 6pm on the Friday! Have tried to hunt for reasonably priced flights but there doesn't seem to be anything suitable
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J4MIE
    I am looking at going as well to this one though I cannot get any extra time off work so would be leaving Edinburgh after 6pm on the Friday! Have tried to hunt for reasonably priced flights but there doesn't seem to be anything suitable
    Portugal is on my whistle stop tour of the WRC this year Jamie if you fancy tagging along? (and can stomach my driving again? )

Liked 340 Times in 171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J4MIE
    Flights from London to Oporto or Lisbon, are not expensive. Search on low cost companys.

Liked 340 Times in 171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXedUSA

The trip by car with GPS from Lisbon to Algarve, it takes between 2 to 2:30. Faro is nothing special, look for information about Vilamoura to stay there. The stages are not far from there.

Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
    Book hotel in Vilamoura "Pe do lago" - Hotel...really cheap
    Andrés H.-Cachalvite "katxal" -- Spanish Photographer. www.andrescachalvite.es

Liked 581 Times in 213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RICARDO75
    Flights from London to Oporto or Lisbon, are not expensive. Search on low cost companys.
    Yes but the connection times for me from here are no good... Depending on what Geoff's plans are I may well get there Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by katxal
    Book hotel in Vilamoura "Pe do lago" - Hotel...really cheap
    Thanks katxal & Ricardo.

I'll look into that place, and Portimao-Lagos.

The estimation of driving time helps, because a flight from the US to Seville or Lisbon->Faro makes things quite expensive, while car rental is dirt cheap!
    Ken & Alex in WRC? Awesome!http://www.monsterworldrallyteam.com

Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    Hi WRXedUSA in case you haven't realised the stage maps for all the event are up on www.rallydeportugal.pt that should help with your planning.
    The Super special is pay to enter otherwise service and all the stages are freeview. Vilamoura tends to be full of Brit golfers so be prepared! If you can recce then pick an early schedule stage with different view points that you could walk between in the break between 1st and 2nd running. Trying to drive between stages can be done but you will be parking a long way from the stage if you turn up after 11 am. If you watch the first stage on any day you can get away in time to make it to service when the field arrives and drivers are talking to the mechs
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!