Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 178 Times in 78 Posts

Something confuses me about WRC 2011....

With the new WRC cars based on existing S2000 cars with most likely a 1.6T engine it means we have an all new car. All of which will be 2011 specification cars. Now in the rules does it not state that privateers/M2 teams cannot use the current spec cars? During 2011 both Ford and Citroen's Manufactures cars will be current spec, and there will be no alternative (i.e, now privateers use the previous years cars).

Does this mean only the 4 works cars will be eligible for the 2011 Championship, or willl the FIA allow privateers or M2 teams to use the new cars?

This has probably been covered, but it has really thrown me as regards to the rules.

many thanks

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Good question. It will also make the "old" WRCars completely obsolete, unless they can "equalise" them somehow.

Another thing I want to know is whether a manufacturer be able to homologate an S1600T WRC without having to compete in the WRC?

Liked 1,252 Times in 681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS
    Good question. It will also make the "old" WRCars completely obsolete, unless they can "equalise" them somehow.

Another thing I want to know is whether a manufacturer be able to homologate an S1600T WRC without having to compete in the WRC?
    I seriously doubt that - I can't imagine them homologating a car and not using it in the WRC.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 11,171 Times in 4,437 Posts
    WRC 1.6T should be allowed in any FIA competition, therefore I expect no such regulations banning recent models for M2 teams to exist.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 178 Times in 78 Posts
    great so everyone will be on an equal platform!

the manufacturer teams should be worried about private drivers winning in the same machinery then!?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    I seriously doubt that - I can't imagine them homologating a car and not using it in the WRC.
    A manufacturer can homologate a car and compete in any FIA series - for example, if a new Proton model came along that only sells in Asia, they could homologate with FIA and then run it in Asia Pacific series.

Liked 1,252 Times in 681 Posts
    So they can build a WRCar, but not use it in the WRC? But use it in a regional FiA Championship??

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 11,171 Times in 4,437 Posts
    Recent rules says that WRC cars must not be used in other FIA series except WRC but this rule will not be applied anymore with new cars, therefore I don't see any problem in building new car without works engagement in WRC.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    So they have moved away from that the top line WRCar is only to be used in WRC, and that the spoilers and stuff they were planning to put on them to distinguish them from regional rally cars is now out again, is that what you are saying ? They also talked a while of having stronger engines in the WRCars compared to the ones they sell for regional series - is all of this now left ?

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Mirek Fric [Cze
    ]Recent rules says that WRC cars must not be used in other FIA series except WRC but this rule will not be applied anymore with new cars, therefore I don't see any problem in building new car without works engagement in WRC.
    But regardless of where you could use the cars, was there not actually a rule which prevented teams from homologating a new WRCar without committing to a WRC programme?