Page 97 of 109 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast
    Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardMK
    My guess - John Watson to Eddie Cheever at 1982 Belian Grand Prix, as Cheever started fair way down grid, and his first podium
    No, as I recall Wattie was always calm and restrained in his dealings with other drivers. Even if he had ever had that sort of reaction I'm sure it would have been muted at Zolder given the tragic loss of Gilles V in practice. The bit that you have got right is that both parties were anglophones
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Hunt to Watson, 1976 French GP?

Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Hunt to Watson, 1976 French GP?
    I like your thinking BD but Watson isn't the sort of guy who says much about the inside track of his career (beach fishing being his obsession I understand). So someone as 'direct' as Hunt as the quotee but the recipient is someone who has a million stories like this one!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Okay, another try - Jackie Stewart to Mario Andretti at 1970 Spanish GP?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardMK
    Okay, another try - Jackie Stewart to Mario Andretti at 1970 Spanish GP?
    One quarter right! Once again though, wee Jackie was never one to let his PR image slip (except his biography excerpt which profusely praises Fred Goodwin!!!)

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Other way perhaps
    Graham Hill to Jackie Stewart at Monaco 1965
    But I am wondering if they did have a 'Lap of honour' on a trailer at Monaco or did they go directly to presentation of trophies by the Prince and Princess?
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Type
    Other way perhaps
    Graham Hill to Jackie Stewart at Monaco 1965
    But I am wondering if they did have a 'Lap of honour' on a trailer at Monaco or did they go directly to presentation of trophies by the Prince and Princess?
    Another 25% correct!
    No they didn't do a lap of honour on a trailer- it was the back of an open top limmo before meeting Their Serene Highnesses.
    So I did some research and it wasn't a trailer anyway for the incident in my question. The 3 podium drivers were crammed in the back of a small engined sportscar, sitting on the boot with their feet on the back seat.
    The 'clean' version of the story is: ' There I was waving at the crowd when suddenly X turned round, looked at me in astonishment and said "Don't tell me you finished 3rd".'
    I prefer the 'after dinner' version

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Believe now have it, thanks to the 25% clues
    Hill to Brian Redman, 1968 Spanish GP

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintexmemory
    Another 25% correct!
    No they didn't do a lap of honour on a trailer- it was the back of an open top limmo before meeting Their Serene Highnesses.
    I watched a TV newsreel of the Monaco race, including the ceremonies. Hill goes directly to the royal box to receive his trophies, no sign of Bandini and Stewart. Then he gets back in the BRM with a laurel round his neck and starts to drive off, Back to the paddock?
    Ranier and Grace get in a Cadillac and drive away. I did not see any parade lap for the three drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by D28
    I watched a TV newsreel of the Monaco race, including the ceremonies. Hill goes directly to the royal box to receive his trophies, no sign of Bandini and Stewart. Then he gets back in the BRM with a laurel round his neck and starts to drive off, Back to the paddock?
    Ranier and Grace get in a Cadillac and drive away. I did not see any parade lap for the three drivers.
    I have seen a photo in the past of the 68 win with a limmo (or maybe dementia is setting in and I imagined it) I shall try to relocate it from somewhere.
    However,Richard MK has it - Hill to Redman 68 Spanish GP. In a race of only 5 classified finishers it is amazing the 3rd and 4th were Cooper-BRMs. Brian tells the story in a number of different ways, but having been in the paddock at Brands when, a less than happy, G Hill was explaining a problem to a mechanic I can vouch for the fact that colourful anglo-saxon invective was never far from his lips. If you ever get a chance to listen to Brian R in racconteur mode seize it. Some of my best Festival of Speed moments have been at the Dunlop stage listening to BR