Page 93 of 109 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast
    Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D28
    The 1963 BRP designed by Tony Robinson fits some of the clues.
    Except it's not named after the supposed designer.
    Apologies, I've reviewed the facts and I've made 2 crucial error - only approx 65% of this car actually scored 1 WC point.
    The qualification I referred to wasn't because the other entered cars failed in practice, they didn't turn up at the GP to practice despite being entered.
    Think this will now fit all the facts that I'm sure someone has discounted because of my fault!
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    AGS?
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Not AGS.
    Full recap of facts.
    Dog of a car having a designer's name but should have been named after the chief mechanic (responsible for 95% of the design)
    65% (approx value) of the car had scored 1 championship point, but in its final form failed to score a point (mistaken info previously on the points record)
    It only qualified on 1 occasion because 2 superior cars failed to make it to practice despite being entered (i.e. it was the last car in a 24 car grid)
    It had to be a monocoque construction (key design criterion)
    New facts
    It was DFV powered and only actually raced twice in Championship GPs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Complete guess, but vaguely remember Swiss driver Moser abandoning Brabham, and becoming involved with an ill-fated Swiss project around the 1969-70 period, with the car usually failing to qualify, unfortunately can`t recall it`s name,

Might have been something like a Dessardi or Dellardi-Ford, Are we close?.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Jagboy
    Complete guess, but vaguely remember Swiss driver Moser abandoning Brabham, and becoming involved with an ill-fated Swiss project around the 1969-70 period, with the car usually failing to qualify, unfortunately can`t recall it`s name,

Might have been something like a Dessardi or Dellardi-Ford, Are we close?.
    Searingly
    Silvio Moser was the very first F1 driver whose autograph I obtained - Race of Champions 1968. He had a Brabham BT20 Repco and along with Jo Bonnier in the Mclaren M5 BRM was propping up the grid.
    Wiki-able now I fancy

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    I am unclear, the answer is Bellasi?
    That marque slipped by, as I was looking for a point scoring car. It is one make that I never heard of.

I am curious as to the details of the evolution from a Brabham to a Bellasi.

Silvio Moser, who had been racing a Brabham BT24 with a DFV in place of the Repco V8 and had met Bellasi during their F3 days, commissioned his fellow Ticino, Switzerland, resident to produce a F1 car for 1970. The reason for this apparently strange move was that Moser needed a monocoque replacement for the Brabham (a tubular spaceframe) he had been racing because of regulations calling for bag fuel tanks. He had scored a point with the Brabham at the 69 US GP. The two started working on the idea in the winter of 1969-'70, with the original idea being to build a new frame based on Moser's BT24-3. The frame was to be financed by Bellasi while the Moser Racing Team SA brought in the engine (the old DFV 802), gearbox, wheels and other parts (including suspension components - hence the 65% of a point clue) from the old Brabham. In February 1970, having started out with the BT24-3, Beat Schenker, Moser's faithful mechanic, found out that Bellasi was full of ideas but short of a clear project. So Schenker took over the command to design and build the remaining 90 to 95 per cent of the car. Hence, the car should rightly have been called a Schenker but presumably Bellasi had stumped up some cash and had a contract!
    It only qualified for the 1970 Austrian GP because Hill and Peterson were DNAs, retiring after 13 laps
    It managed to qualify the following year, at its only attempt, for the Italian GP, again retiring.
    Silvio died in 1974 from injuries sustained in a crash at the Monza 1000kms.
    Beat Schenker maintains a website dedicated to Moser's career and is attempting to restore the Bellasi
    Sources:
    car racing with silvio moser
    8W - What? - Bellasi

So as Bellasi is the answer over to D28

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Thanks, very interesting. Since I only found the answer by typing in Moser the real credit belongs to Ex-Jagboy.
    I looked at a lot of F1 rejects but never would have came up with the Bellasi, indeed I had never noticed the name.

Over to you Ex-Jagboy for a question, since you came up with Silvio Moser.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by D28
    Thanks, very interesting. Since I only found the answer by typing in Moser the real credit belongs to Ex-Jagboy.
    I looked at a lot of F1 rejects but never would have came up with the Bellasi, indeed I had never noticed the name.

Over to you Ex-Jagboy for a question, since you came up with Silvio Moser.
    Thanks D28, It really was a shot in the dark, but I saw Silvio Moser in the Oulton Park Gold Cup in 1969 where he performed quite creditably, qualifying quite well in practice, and during the race runnng around 5th or 6th from memory until he hit mechanical problems, It was after the Oulton meeting that he disappeared from the UK scene, and a article appeared in one of the motoring mags linking him with with this Swiss based monocoque project which we now know to be the Bellasi,

I briefly saw Silvio in the paddock at Oulton, but sadly never thought to obtain his autograph, but according to those who did he seemed like a thoroughly decent bloke.

Anyway question for you.

Which playboy F1 racer of the 1950s attracted not only media attention for his exploits on the track, but also for his involvement with the Italian ballerina Delia Scala.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    I had no idea, so I googled this and found the answer quite quickly.

Now I have all sorts of questions
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!