Page 90 of 109 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by D28
    The F2 clue points to Ivor Bueb, though I have always seen him referred to Ivor 'The Driver". Is it he?
    Nope, but you were very near, Ivor Bueb was known as `Ivor the Driver` but also managed to pick up another quite amusing title thanks to the organisers of a European event getting his name hopelessly mixed up, and subsequently appearing in the programme as `Igor Bulb`.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    I was thinking Bristow too. Would have been my next guess. That weekend of the 1960 Belgian GP also saw the death of another Londoner, young Alan Stacey. Just for your interest. A black weekend which saw big accidents for Stirling Moss and a career-ending one for another driver whose name escapes me right now.
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 33 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    If I might make a wild stab in the dark, the first "high nose" car was a Tyrrell from 1990 whilst Alesi was still there (hence the reason why this is my guess).
    Tyrrell had Harvey Postlethwaite design their cars, and I think he might have even had a hand in the 1999 Honda project that went nowhere.

I'm saying Dr. Harvey Postlethwaite... could be wrong though.
    Not Postlethwaite. Clue: Reading Steve Matchetts "The Mechanic's Tale" may shed some light on it.
    Form is Temporary, Class is Permanent

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Jagboy
    Nope, but you were very near, Ivor Bueb was known as `Ivor the Driver` but also managed to pick up another quite amusing title thanks to the organisers of a European event getting his name hopelessly mixed up, and subsequently appearing in the programme as `Igor Bulb`.
    I always wondered how to pronounce Bueb, having never heard the name. Could you or someone spell it out phonetically . Thanks a lot.

Boo-ebb

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Phonetics are tricky as we don't all pronounce the basics the same, eg the American "Noo York" and the British "Nyew York"

I allways thought it was "Bew - ebb" with the first syllable rhyming with "few" or "Nyew" rather than the the American "Noo" but sort of rolled into one syllable: "Byewb" rather than "Boob"

But I must admit have never heard his name pronounced by anybody who should know.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I always wondered how to pronounce Bueb, having never heard the name. Could you or someone spell it out phonetically . Thanks a lot.
    I heard his name pronounced on a number of occasions at that time, usually over the race broadcast, and it was always Bue-eb, or Bew-eb,

He was a twice Le Mans winner, and a particularly fine sports car driver, who could never seem to cut it in single seaters, we saw him at Aintree in the very competitive Cooper- Borgward but was way off the pace, and the following weekend he lost his life in a F2 event at Clermont Ferrand becoming yet another sad statistic of that era.

An American/English speaking may pronounce Bew-ebb, yet a European and even Bueb himself would have said Boo-ebb.

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kfzmeister
    Name the designer that created the current quick connect/ disconnect for all F1 cars front noses
    John Barnard

John Barnard
    How did you know. Did you do some research?
    Answer is correct.