Page 53 of 344 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by race aficionado
    OK
    So the new iPad is out.

Any comments?
    mokin:
    Is it possible to do some really productive work on it?
    If not I do not see it's usefulness, especially given it's price.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    Is it possible to do some really productive work on it?
    If not I do not see it's usefulness, especially given it's price.
    I don't know ioan.
    I will eventually buy one (next generation probably) because right now the tax man has taken all of my money.

Let's see who gets a hands-on try at it and give us a report.

mokin:
    Without sharing there can be no justice,
    Without justice there can be no peace,
    Without peace there can be no future.
    please click here once a day: http://www.thehungersite.com

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    we will see if it runs iwork 11
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    I don't know ioan.
    I will eventually buy one (next generation probably) because right now the tax man has taken all of my money.

Let's see who gets a hands-on try at it and give us a report.

mokin:
    Well, I bought one o the android2.2 tablets in HK for US$220. It is light and I have been sending emails and accessing the Ski Japan forum as well as here. But if I were to spend more, I would go for the Acer Ferrari netbook which I can buy for under $700 at Costco. No way would I pay nearly $900 for Apple's Ipad. My Iped has a flash player. With an Ipad you either pay for apps or hijack them.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    OK
    So the new iPad is out.

Any comments?
    mokin:
    Woooooooooooo. nore:

Let's look at The Telegraph's initial review:

[The new iPad] has two cameras built into the rear and front of the device, both of which take photos and shoot video
    Finally. The first version should have had at least a front-facing for conferencing.

The new device comes preloaded with a new app called Photo Booth, which allows people to take distorted photos of themselves and share them with friends
    Oh how I laughed... five years ago when I saw this on a Sony Ericsson.

And users will also be able to use the iPad 2 to video call friends who have either an iPad 2, an iPhone 4 or the latest iPod Touch, using Apple Facetime
    Oh, so forget conferencing then unless your colleagues are on suitable hardware.

The iPad 2 is one third thinner than the first device and is slightly lighter
    Fair enough.

It will also be available in white for the first time, as well as the standard black.
    Big wow :\

Jobs said that Apple has installed a new chip inside the iPad 2 which makes the device run up to two times faster than the original iPad. The new chip also allows graphics to load up to nine times faster than the first device.
    At last, something worth shouting about. But given that the vast majority of users simply surf the web or play simple games, is that really such a big deal?

The technology company has also developed a new “smart” case for the iPad 2 which, as well as protecting the large screen, doubles as a stand so people can watch movies with greater ease. The new case hooks on to the hinges of the iPad 2 and folds up into a stand. Users will have to purchase the case separately.
    That's not a feature, it's an optional kickstand and an admission that tablets are not ideal for watching media for more than a few minutes at a time.

So still no SD card, still no USB, still no HDMI**, still not even widescreen let alone HD, still shackled to iTunes, and still no 7" version.

(**edit: you can buy a $39 adaptor for HDMI output, which is a messy solution)

If you want a full-fat tablet, get a Xoom. If you just want a bit of browsing on the move, do what Valve did and get a Chinese no-name for a third of the price.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Nice summary

I still see it as a very niche product. If you want a multifunction device that's nice and small, get a smart phone. If you want to do more get a laptop.

I can see the point in it in some circumstances if you want a big screen but you don't want the weight of a laptop, but with all Apple devices, the lack of Flash is still a big problem. I know from browsing in 64-bit Linux which flash has a problem with, the sheer number of websites which assume you have flash installed and just won't work without it.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Nice summary

I still see it as a very niche product. If you want a multifunction device that's nice and small, get a smart phone. If you want to do more get a laptop.

I can see the point in it in some circumstances if you want a big screen but you don't want the weight of a laptop, but with all Apple devices, the lack of Flash is still a big problem. I know from browsing in 64-bit Linux which flash has a problem with, the sheer number of websites which assume you have flash installed and just won't work without it.
    So, what's wrong with the Acer Ferrari net book? At US$700 from Costco?

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Nothing? Everything? I have no idea...

Anyway the real achievement here is that again Apple have released a product and it's headline news around the world, even gets a mention on Radio 1 this morning in the news. Yet another manufacturer comes up with the same - or arguably better, product, and they might be lucky to get a passing reference on Click or The Gadget Show at most.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Apple has a superb sales team. Dell is the lousiest I have ever encountered. Dell used to have a small counter at Chadstone Mall. I was considering upgrading at the time, sowalked up to the Dell stall. The guy was fiddling with the PC and ignored me. When I interupted him toask about the PC he looked dismissive. So I wanted a demonstration and asked if he had internet, and he rudely pointed behind and said "internet over there". Apple upstairs was exact opposite, showing me how to open the browser and encouraged me to surf the net. With that friendly attitude,Apple cannot fail. I nearly upgraded to Apple myself, but the price beat me.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    It's in Apple's DNA that technology alone is not enough," [Jobs] told the crowd. "It's technology married with the liberal arts, married with the humanities that yields the results that make our hearts sing.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereport..._of_steve.html

Sheen and Gaddafi have competition for the most ridiculous quote of the year.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u