Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    Yes but we don't have der tube here
    Or any people with iPods
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Or any people with iPods
    No, we have iPods here. just no mass transit system for them to sit on like iZombies
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brockman
    So what do we know this morning?

The screen will suck battery life, making it a poor competitor for the Kindle et al e-readers, and knowing Apple the battery won't be user-replacable so bang goes carrying a spare.

Sparse storage for its price and no obvious way of connecting a hard drive, USB key or even an SD card.

Wireless keyboard which presumably means an Apple branded one only, no chance of using your favourite ergonomic keyboard.

No external display so there goes any chance of using it as a media player at home or in the office.

No camera - still or video - limiting its use still further.

No multitasking, even my Nokia can handle that and blummin' useful it is too.

Still no support for Flash, which even though it can be evil sometimes is still among the most widespread code on the t'internet - that'll really please advertisers.

Early versions won't have 3G capability, so as usual with Apple the early adopters are shafted when the upgraded version comes out.

I honestly don't get who this is aimed at. If you want an e-reader there are better and cheaper; if you want a proper laptop then this doesn't come close; and if you want a netbook then again there are far better and cheaper out there. I really think they've messed up with this one.

Oh wait! Of course, it's shiny and has an Apple badge.... silly me - it'll sell in its thousands.
    Quite the list. Except it does have external connection capabilities. Where does it say that early versions won't have 3G?

I seem to recall that the original iPhone had similar criticisms, and its eventual successor has (apparently) revolutionised how we use phones. None of us here have used an iPad, and I'm not going to pass judgement on it until I have. I can see it has drawbacks, but I can also see where it will be useful.

Perhaps it's more a case of what this iPad has the potential to do, rather than what it looks like it can do on specs alone. I'm sure some clever soul will come up with applications for it that will make it a very handy piece of kit.

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewmcm
    Quite the list. Except it does have external connection capabilities. Where does it say that early versions won't have 3G?
    They won't. But the 3G version will be released a few months later apparently.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I seem to recall that the original iPhone had similar criticisms, and its eventual successor has (apparently) revolutionised how we use phones. None of us here have used an iPad, and I'm not going to pass judgement on it until I have. I can see it has drawbacks, but I can also see where it will be useful.

Perhaps it's more a case of what this iPad has the potential to do, rather than what it looks like it can do on specs alone. I'm sure some clever soul will come up with applications for it that will make it a very handy piece of kit.
    Tablet PC's have been around for ages and very few people have use for them.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    The people who generally buy Apple stuff are usually not the most educated of people and seem to think that Apple invented a lot of technology when all they did was repackage it.
    A rather patronising comment don't you think? I think you'll find that on average Apple sells to a higher income bracket than PC products, so for being uneducated those customers have done quite well in life haven't they?

I don't believe this iPad is going to be a core product for Apple in the same way as the iPod or iPhone but is likely to be a slow-burner that will keep revenue flowing in for some time. With good publisher support it will act as a strong competitor for the Kindle and the Sony equivalent (given how strong sales were just before Xmas for those two products Apple is entering into that market at just the right time too). Given that Apple and most PC makers currently have NO ebook equivalent entering the market is quite a step, and like iTunes Apple will profit from selling you the iPad and the books you read on it.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan H
    A rather patronising comment don't you think? I think you'll find that on average Apple sells to a higher income bracket than PC products, so for being uneducated those customers have done quite well in life haven't they?

I don't believe this iPad is going to be a core product for Apple in the same way as the iPod or iPhone but is likely to be a slow-burner that will keep revenue flowing in for some time. With good publisher support it will act as a strong competitor for the Kindle and the Sony equivalent (given how strong sales were just before Xmas for those two products Apple is entering into that market at just the right time too). Given that Apple and most PC makers currently have NO ebook equivalent entering the market is quite a step, and like iTunes Apple will profit from selling you the iPad and the books you read on it.
    Having lots of money doesn't mean that you're intelligent now does it?

Apple products are a fashion accessory.

You say the iPad is going to be a competitor for the Kindle and Sony reader? how? wtf? lol?

The big thing that readers do is digital ink/electronic paper which gives a similar feel to reading a book. When i first saw one of the Sony readers in a store I couldn't work out whether it was actually on or not at first because the text doesn't have that whole backlit look that the iPad will have being an ips screen. The iPad will feel no different to reading a book on a PC screen and that's tiring to the eye.

Have a read and you'll see while the iPad shouldn't be the choice of the average clot for a reader, not I say should because people will think that because it's an Apple product that it must be the best. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_paper

iPad, jack of all trades, master of none.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Well yes, you can buy an adaptor that will give it the basic USB port that even the cheapest phones and notebooks include as standard, but as with the Air you'll end up with all manner of wires and adaptors spoiling the admittedly lovely form if you want to use it seriously.

Early versions won't have 3G according to Apple's own site. As ever, early adopters are nothing more than paying beta-testers, shafted when the next version comes out. At least they won't be tied into an airtime deal unlike the poor mugs who queued up for the 1st generation iPhones.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Having lots of money doesn't mean that you're intelligent now does it?
    Intelligent or educated? The two are different, so Apple users are what, uneducated? unintelligent? Or just both?

Apple products are a fashion accessory.
    Not really. I use mine as a home office with spreadsheets, statistical analysis software, word processing and radiology DICOM file viewers. I use a Mac because its reliable and because if I bought a PC I would have had to pay thousands of pounds for a DICOM viewer software that I get for free with the Apple. Which of those bits is a fashion accessory? The time I used to spend sorting out my PC which kept crashing is now time I can use working, that in itself is invaluable.

You say the iPad is going to be a competitor for the Kindle and Sony reader? how? wtf? lol?

The big thing that readers do is digital ink/electronic paper which gives a similar feel to reading a book. When i first saw one of the Sony readers in a store I couldn't work out whether it was actually on or not at first because the text doesn't have that whole backlit look that the iPad will have being an ips screen. The iPad will feel no different to reading a book on a PC screen and that's tiring to the eye.
    I don't disagree that the tech specs are not those of an ebook, yet that is where marketing comes in isn't it. Buy an iPad and download books straight from your favourite publisher at the click of a mouse. Many people don't know about the Sony or the Kindle, they will know about the iPad whether through advertising or sheer hype. Whether the iPad is easier to read off (I agree it probably won't be) is a secondary concern when it comes to selling. But then, can you view video on a Kindle? How about music?

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan H
    I don't disagree that the tech specs are not those of an ebook, yet that is where marketing comes in isn't it. Buy an iPad and download books straight from your favourite publisher at the click of a mouse. Many people don't know about the Sony or the Kindle, they will know about the iPad whether through advertising or sheer hype. Whether the iPad is easier to read off (I agree it probably won't be) is a secondary concern when it comes to selling. But then, can you view video on a Kindle? How about music?
    What will likely happen, as with the iPod that Apple will tie up suppliers into contracts so the only decent e-books will require you to get an iPad and the superior Kindle won't have much left to it.

No you can't view video on the Kindle, but it's supposed to emulate a book experience as closely as possible, so why would you?