Page 272 of 344 FirstFirst ... 172222262270271272273274282322 ... LastLast
Results 2,711 to 2,720 of 3435
    Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave B
    I'm not so sure. It should be so easy to standardise that before long I think we'll see wireless charging pads in cars and on public transport. And don't forget that docking stations are starting to appear that play music via NFC while simultaneously charging the handset. I can see a time where we laugh at the olden days when we still plugged things in.
    It is already standardised. It just won't catch on until you slab an i in the front of the device name.

Qi (inductive power standard) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janneppi
    It is already standardised. It just won't catch on until you slab an i in the front of the device name.

Qi (inductive power standard) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Power sockets and chargers are in theory standardised, in the EU at least, but there's still one company which refuses to play ball. But yes, iCharge will probably be a game-changer and the beginning of another round of lawsuits.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    If Apple wanted to make money from this situation they could sell the rights to their lightning connector design for standard use. We know they wouldn't do that but it's by far the best connector in use in terms of design and application IMO. They obviously want to set themselves apart and it works in certain areas. If you have one or the other I can't see why it would be an issue though? Nowadays you either have micro USB connectors or Apples version. It wasn't so long ago every phone manufacturer on the market had its own type of connector and we didn't seem to mind that too much.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    If Apple wanted to make money from this situation they could sell the rights to their lightning connector design for standard use. We know they wouldn't do that but it's by far the best connector in use in terms of design and application IMO. They obviously want to set themselves apart and it works in certain areas. If you have one or the other I can't see why it would be an issue though? Nowadays you either have micro USB connectors or Apples version. It wasn't so long ago every phone manufacturer on the market had its own type of connector and we didn't seem to mind that too much.
    Yes, but Apple don't do that. They feel they've got the best OS, do they go and charge a licence fee for it? Nope.......
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I understand the point about wireless charging on the move but right now I'd rather have a thin cable than a charging mat to pack in my case.
    But why would you pack a charging mat? Imagine they're standardised and so commonplace that all your mates have one, there's one on your desk, one on your train table, in your hotel room... See the possibilities? And it needn't be restricted to mere charging. Chuck your phone into your car and it'll not only charge but seamlessly play music through your ICE. None of this is fantasy talk, it's all currently possible and just waiting for mass-market adoption.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

If it comes I will use it like any other feature. I'm not against it but at the moment I don't have an issue with the current method, just saying that's all. I'm not against innovation. It sounds like it would make things easier if standardised so let's wait and see how quickly it's adopted by all.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    If it comes I will use it like any other feature. I'm not against it but at the moment I don't have an issue with the current method, just saying that's all. I'm not against innovation. It sounds like it would make things easier if standardised so let's wait and see how quickly it's adopted by all.
    Thing is, it's one of those things you're not forced to use, it's an additional feature which a lot will find useful. The fact that Apple haven't adopted NFC is just silly. When they eventually bring out itouch or whatever and make it incompatible with other phones, then people are going to wonder why everyone else can tap to share and they can't
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

I'm sure Apple will bring in NFC in the future but it made little sense to invest when it's in it's infancy IMO. Is my phone worse off for not having it? Not as far as I can tell.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    The missus and I just renewed our family plan contract with our local mobile carrier, with shiney new iPhones on order .

In other news, I was just told that I'm being issued a new Nokia Windows phone as a company device
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave B
    But why would you pack a charging mat? Imagine they're standardised and so commonplace that all your mates have one, there's one on your desk, one on your train table, in your hotel room... See the possibilities? And it needn't be restricted to mere charging. Chuck your phone into your car and it'll not only charge but seamlessly play music through your ICE. None of this is fantasy talk, it's all currently possible and just waiting for mass-market adoption.
    We can't even get agreement on wired charging anyway! Or rather we can but then Apple agrees then goes off and does it's own thing anyway.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums