Page 244 of 344 FirstFirst ... 144194234242243244245246254294 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,440 of 3435
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Because it's a Christmas present.
    Aaaaaaah.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    The iPad mini should of course be viewed in such that its a racing certainty that it will have a 326ppi 'retina' display before the end of 2013.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Of course, as Apple would firstly address the biggest talking point of their current iPad mini with their next release.

Admin
    Some speed test results are interesting:

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    I do think they missed a trick by not including a retina display though. Its already selling well in time for Xmas and my brother has already had the request from my niece.
    I think the depressing thing is that we all know there'll be a retina version out within the next few months and a price reduction on the current mini - surely people know by now never to buy the first iteration of any Apple product.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    That's true to an extent. My wife bought an iPad 3 and we knew full well an iPad 4 would be out within a year and was likely to contain better features. I suppose it depends on the desire you have at the time. Mark's got the mini for Xmas and even when the retina version comes out, his original device will still be a very nice tablet and very capable. I think whatever brand you buy in today's market comes with the knowledge that it'll be replaced or slightly out of date within a limited time frame.
    Oh I accept that's true of any technology, there's never a right time to buy as there'll always be something better/cheaper within months. Weeks, sometimes.

Admin
    That was true even when I were a lad. My Dad would say "Oh why not just wait as there will be something better out" - Well there will always be something better out soon; that's the nature of technology.

Having a good idea about product cycles does help however; to avoid buying an old product a week before the new one is released; but when making any purchase above a few hundred pounds you need to put in your research anyway, and in these days of that there internet, there's no excuse for not putting in the effort.

Another example - Last Christmas I bought a Blu-Ray player - partly because it had iPlayer, now about 10 months later I can get iPlayer on my Sky box thus rendering the Blu Ray a bit useless; but that's no problem I had 10 months use I wouldn't otherwise have done.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Here's a nifty little use for Android: a full HD media player with wi-fi and USB and SD slots, all built into a device the size of a memory stick, for £40.

UG802 Dual Core RK3066 Android 4.0 Mini PC Google TV Box Internet Wifi Player | eBay

My main telly is connected to a PC running XBMC, but for this price it's worth a punt for the kitchen TV.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    That was true even when I were a lad. My Dad would say "Oh why not just wait as there will be something better out" - Well there will always be something better out soon; that's the nature of technology.

Having a good idea about product cycles does help however; to avoid buying an old product a week before the new one is released; but when making any purchase above a few hundred pounds you need to put in your research anyway, and in these days of that there internet, there's no excuse for not putting in the effort.

Another example - Last Christmas I bought a Blu-Ray player - partly because it had iPlayer, now about 10 months later I can get iPlayer on my Sky box thus rendering the Blu Ray a bit useless; but that's no problem I had 10 months use I wouldn't otherwise have done.
    The issue people have with Apple is planned obsolescence. It's not like there aren't screens in the size of the Apple Mini with the same DPI as a retina screen, it's just that Apple have made a conscious decision to launch the Mini with a screen which has a lower DPI than the normal iPad so that in the future they can launch practically the same thing with a better screen and call it the iPad Mini 2. The iPad Mini 2, now more magical than the crappy one Mark has Or at least will have at Christmas
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    That said there is something to be said for buying things more or less as soon as they come out. Your product will current for longer.

I built my PC from bits which had only been out for about a week or so. If I'd waited months I could have gotten said bits cheaper, but then you just end up having to use your old "slow" computer for longer and you own the product for a shorter time before it's superceded.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.