Page 13 of 344 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Why would anybody in their right mind buy the first generation of any Apple product, knowing full well that if you wait a couple of months the next version will be released addressing some but not all of the shortcomings of the original?

It's cynical marketing at its worst, and unbelievably it works a treat.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Yeah, I can absolutely see the point of the iPhone, a powerful mobile computer you keep in your pocket. But you can't keep the iPad in your pocket, you'll have to put it in a bag. If you are going to do that, might as well get a laptop.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brockman
    Why would anybody in their right mind buy the first generation of any Apple product, knowing full well that if you wait a couple of months the next version will be released addressing some but not all of the shortcomings of the original?

It's cynical marketing at its worst, and unbelievably it works a treat.
    Liked your picture message on facebook. With the iPad costing at minimum £328 (in the USA) why would you get one which effectively has stranged functionality compared with a less money for a fully functional laptop.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Tee hee, I thought you'd like it.

I took this in Tesco earlier today. For the expected UK price of an iPad you could have two netbooks, which kick the Apple's backside in almost every respect. Ok they're not as sexy, and won't get Stephen Fry erect, but they completely trump the Fisher-Price offering from Jobs Inc.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
    Hp Slate. Looks nice, and uses Windows 7 as it's OS. Hmmmm...

http://h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/Voodoo-...B7E88FD9DD347E
    Defend mediocrity... because excelence is just too hard to achieve. :p

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by veeten
    Hp Slate. Looks nice, and uses Windows 7 as it's OS. Hmmmm...
    That's the type of thing you need. A scaled down PC, not a scaled up phone. Why use an operating system which is locked down and you can't do much with?

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Yeah, I can absolutely see the point of the iPhone, a powerful mobile computer you keep in your pocket. But you can't keep the iPad in your pocket, you'll have to put it in a bag. If you are going to do that, might as well get a laptop.
    I think they have a enclosure that hangs around your neck. As soon as you can effectively run skype on the ipad it will revolutionize the industry again.
    the ideal setup will be:
    1. 32 in flatscreen
    2. newest Macbook pro 17
    3. ipad for travel

then if you are on extended leave you would take your macbook pro. ipad will be capable of running Apple's business app and those of you who have never used them they kick butt on microsoft junk. also there is a company Stone Design. I think they will port most of there apps over as well and the have some real good one. such as create. I am just waiting for the skype deal and then the iphone will go!!
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

Admin
    Why wait for Apple to agree things? When you can have a general purpose machine that runs everything.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    That's the type of thing you need. A scaled down PC, not a scaled up phone. Why use an operating system which is locked down and you can't do much with?
    Wouldn't the same be said of Windows? It's not open source either.

The market and consumer demand will determine which apps are popular and which are not. As well, the market will determine if this device will be successful longer term... once the hype wears off. People can think of 1001 reasons why it shouldn't be successful, but all it takes is one reason (taken up by million sof people) for it to be successful.

To someone like myself, Twitter (and most of these social networking sites) is just the dumbest, silliest thing on earth. I truly don't get it. But the market has spoken and what I think doesn't matter.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    Wouldn't the same be said of Windows? It's not open source either.

The market and consumer demand will determine which apps are popular and which are not. As well, the market will determine if this device will be successful longer term... once the hype wears off. People can think of 1001 reasons why it shouldn't be successful, but all it takes is one reason (taken up by million sof people) for it to be successful.

To someone like myself, Twitter (and most of these social networking sites) is just the dumbest, silliest thing on earth. I truly don't get it. But the market has spoken and what I think doesn't matter.
    I don't think you understand what Mark means.

With Windows Mobile you or I can write a program and run it on a phone

With an iPhone it needs to be approved by Apple to run on it and this invariably means that you end up paying for stuff that you can get for free elsewhere.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.