Page 12 of 344 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'd rather spend my money on this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+...&skuId=9721671

$500 well spent!
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    WTF do you want a keyboard for? Oh wait, you want something you can type on with both hands at 40 wpm don't you?
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes, Gateway has also been throwing in the new i5 processor for the same price. Problem is that I didn't manage to buy one in time and they ALL sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    WTF do you want a keyboard for? Oh wait, you want something you can type on with both hands at 40 wpm don't you?
    Duh! Also, I don't want some ancient processor. That's why I don't own an Apple. Their technology is outdated and makes me quite baffled to see people throw away their money for such a lack of kit.

I do like Apple's OS, but decided that Ubuntu does the job.
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 65 Times in 28 Posts

300.000 iPads sold on the first day...

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    AAPL... now stands at $194.
    AAPL vs MSFT - 5 year chart
    AAPL is now trading around $237.80. Up 22.58% since Feb. 1. New price targets average $300/share by the end of the year.

MSFT is around $29.19 right now. It closed at $28.41 on the day I made the above post (Feb. 1). Up 2.75%.

The S&P500 closed at 1089.19 on Feb 1. It stands around 1185.74 right now. Up 8.86%.

So MSFT didn't even produce the returns that a "dummy money" S&P500 index mutual fund would have.

I don't need an iPad - just like I don't feel like I need a smart phone (of ANY sort). Right now, I can't say that I even want one (I want an iPod Touch with a camera - hopefully out by late summer/early fall). But apparently there are enough people that feel like they want an iPad (and I've read that many small business owners are looking very hard at it) that 300K units moved in one day. If they even sell as few as 4 million units in the first year, this will likely be a game changer in this segment. But all that really matters to me is... hit that $300/share price target, Stevie Boy!!! You da man!
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    AAPL is now trading around $237.80. Up 22.58% since Feb. 1. New price targets average $300/share by the end of the year.

MSFT is around $29.19 right now. It closed at $28.41 on the day I made the above post (Feb. 1). Up 2.75%.

The S&P500 closed at 1089.19 on Feb 1. It stands around 1185.74 right now. Up 8.86%.

So MSFT didn't even produce the returns that a "dummy money" S&P500 index mutual fund would have.

I don't need an iPad - just like I don't feel like I need a smart phone (of ANY sort). Right now, I can't say that I even want one (I want an iPod Touch with a camera - hopefully out by late summer/early fall). But apparently there are enough people that feel like they want an iPad (and I've read that many small business owners are looking very hard at it) that 300K units moved in one day. If they even sell as few as 4 million units in the first year, this will likely be a game changer in this segment. But all that really matters to me is... hit that $300/share price target, Stevie Boy!!! You da man!
    I'll put my hand up and say that I just don't get it, I just don't understand how Apple can sell so much of something that's either not that great or that doesn't actually do anything more than its competitors do.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    I'll put my hand up and say that I just don't get it, I just don't understand how Apple can sell so much of something that's either not that great or that doesn't actually do anything more than its competitors do.
    I didn't really get the concept of the Kindle Reader. To me, the experience of holding a well bound book adds to the reading experience. And even with a newspaper, I've always enjoyed holding it in my hand. But, for those who devour information from a variety of sources, or to whom books are just what the words are printed on, I guess the Kindle made/makes sense. And the iPad does what the Kindle does and that much more... screen type aside. There will be SO many more apps for the iPad... which means so much more potential for future development and possibilities for uses.

As one critic put it, Apple gets people in the market with a combination of hype and a solid reputation for making things that just work. I believe Apple is rated as the #1 rated brand among consumers (ahead of Ferrari, Mercedes, IBM, etc.). Some people are buying these things because of the news hype. To them, it's like a fashion statement and maybe a fad. But to others, they're most likely going to find legitimate uses that many of us have not yet considered. When the first PC's came out, how many people really made use of them? What was the practical use? I bought a Mac+ back in the day because I owned a business. Otherwise, what would I have needed it for... really? But now look at the market.

So I don't always try to decipher why people do what they do. As long as it involves a tangible product, I'm willing to go with the trend and let it ride. And so far, with AAPL, it's been a pretty sweet ride.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Because the media love them. Nokia, RIM or Google can release hardware or an OS and barely get a mention; Apple come along and immediately get front page coverage for similar items. The Guardian published a clip of Stephen Fry unwrapping - unwrapping, not even using! - his iPad and fawning all over it like a long-lost relative, which in news terms was the non-event of the year.

Apple are, in many way, genius. They've taken quite ordinary products with relatively low specifications, improved the UI and marketed the crap out of it. You may not be able to polish a turd, but if you roll it in glitter and stick an Apple logo on it the public lap it up.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brockman
    You may not be able to polish a turd, but if you roll it in glitter and stick an Apple logo on it the public lap it up.
    Hilarious quote, very well done.
    "signature room for rent"

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    So has anyone on this forum with the exception of Steven Fry actually bought one?
    My phone has an alarm clock! Ner Ner! :p