Page 11 of 344 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    You know what strikes me as strange with your post? Not once do you say

"OMFG I NEED an iPad" or "I wish I could afford an iPad"

Even some of my Mac zealot friends haven't really found it all that great an idea and that includes the girl I know from school who's a designer, LOVES Mac hardware and is living in San Francisco at the moment.
    Come on Daniel, you can do better than that. All humans need is food, water, shelter, and in these modern times, money to live. Everything else is just padding to make our lives more simple.

I don't need an iPad, I don't even need this laptop that I'm typing on at the moment. I don't need to visit this forum and futilely reply to people with an anti-Apple stance about an item that they'll never use properly yet criticise mercilessly.

Race afficiando is right, if you want it, buy it - if you don't, don't. I'm looking forward to the thread on that Microsoft tablet that you mention where you give it a similar critique.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewmcm
    Come on Daniel, you can do better than that. All humans need is food, water, shelter, and in these modern times, money to live. Everything else is just padding to make our lives more simple.

I don't need an iPad, I don't even need this laptop that I'm typing on at the moment. I don't need to visit this forum and futilely reply to people with an anti-Apple stance about an item that they'll never use properly yet criticise mercilessly.

Race afficiando is right, if you want it, buy it - if you don't, don't. I'm looking forward to the thread on that Microsoft tablet that you mention where you give it a similar critique.
    I can do better than that? Huh? When previous products have launched the Mac fanboys have been salivating at the prospect of getting their hands on one, with this you have to admit that the reaction is lukewarm at best.

What I mean though is that the iPhone is a phone and although it may be thin on specs compared to some other phones it still does the job. My point is that the iPad won't replace any products currently on the market. For all that Steve Jobs says it won't replace a netbook. The notebook form factor is tried, tested and loved and that's the reason why tablets never really took off in the first place despite tablets being a pet project of Bill Gates and Microsoft even making a tablet OS.

The funny thing is that I think the one product that Apple have made over the last few years that is actually useful but hasn't done very well is the Apple TV which is something I think people would benefit from and have an actual use for which is more than can be said for what is of course essentially just a big iPod touch......

There are some basic truths here which can't be denied

The iPad won't be a good reader because it doesn't do e-ink. I suspect it may do well as a magazine reader or a newspaper reader however. But I don't really see the point of the newspaper form factor in a digital world.

The iPad won't replace netbooks because it can't mutlitask and at best you will be typing one handed *snigger* Let's not forget that for a lot of people netbooks replace a laptop and the iPad just doesn't have what it takes to do that.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I don't know about the iPhone being the fastest selling games console during the last year but when you can buy games for as little as £0.59p I can see why some people would think it was. For that price your not so bothered if the game isn't so great. Me and the other half share an iTunes account and whatever game or application we buy then goes on both our iPhones making it more value for money. Personally, the only apple product I will be getting is an iPhone 4g when it finally gets released.
    My phone has an alarm clock! Ner Ner! :p

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    The iPad won't replace netbooks because it can't mutlitask and at best you will be typing one handed *snigger* Let's not forget that for a lot of people netbooks replace a laptop and the iPad just doesn't have what it takes to do that.
    So Daniel, why don't you also critique Dell products as much as you do Apple ones? Not all Dell products are successful and many are downright rubbish. How about Acer? How about anyone else?

Why are you so obsessed with Apple that you post so much about them? Is Steve Jobs slipping you a little cash to keep his company in the public eye?

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan H
    So Daniel, why don't you also critique Dell products as much as you do Apple ones? Not all Dell products are successful and many are downright rubbish. How about Acer? How about anyone else?

Why are you so obsessed with Apple that you post so much about them? Is Steve Jobs slipping you a little cash to keep his company in the public eye?
    To be fair though no one talks about the cult of Acer or Dell now do they?
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    To be fair though no one talks about the cult of Acer or Dell now do they?
    There used to be something of a cult of personality surrounding Dell over here - but when the Dell "I'm gettin' a Dell, dude!" kid got caught up in a drug scandal, it began to die away.

I do know more than a few Microsoft apologists. I don't think they're as rabid as Apple fans though. Probably because Microsoft hasn't been able to walk and chew gum for the past few years, and the company has been letting investors down for the past 6 or 7 years.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    There used to be something of a cult of personality surrounding Dell over here - but when the Dell "I'm gettin' a Dell, dude!" kid got caught up in a drug scandal, it began to die away.

I do know more than a few Microsoft apologists. I don't think they're as rabid as Apple fans though. Probably because Microsoft hasn't been able to walk and chew gum for the past few years, and the company has been letting investors down for the past 6 or 7 years.
    You're right, things are going terrible for Microsoft

http://www.dailytech.com/Windows+7+i...ticle17551.htm
    So bad in fact that Bill Gates is giving 10 BILLION to charity
    http://www.dailytech.com/Bill+and+Me...ticle17558.htm

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    You're right, things are going terrible for Microsoft

http://www.dailytech.com/Windows+7+i...ticle17551.htm
    So bad in fact that Bill Gates is giving 10 BILLION to charity
    http://www.dailytech.com/Bill+and+Me...ticle17558.htm
    The linked article just agrees with what I said: Microsoft hasn't been able to walk and chew gum for the past few years.

A year ago Microsoft was struggling. The world's largest software firm had built up a massive user base, but it was losing their respect.
    The company is (just now) finding success with Windows 7 - and maybe that success will continue. Who knows? But that does not discount the basic fact that MSFT has been dead money since 2003 or so.

And I'm happy that Gates is donating money to good causes. But his fortunes do not match up with those of anyone who invested in MSFT 6 or 7 years ago. I bought MSFT in 2003 and was lucky to bail out without losing money. I bought AAPL for my parents' account in 2004/05 at around $38. Since then, that stock has split and it now stands at $194.
    AAPL vs MSFT - 5 year chart

I'm not a fanboi of various corporations. And neither Steve Jobs nor Bill Gates is going to do shizzle for me. I go with whichever equity makes me the most money. I'll invest in Hitler, Inc. if it seems poised to beat the S&P 500.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    The linked article just agrees with what I said: Microsoft hasn't been able to walk and chew gum for the past few years.

The company is (just now) finding success with Windows 7 - and maybe that success will continue. Who knows? But that does not discount the basic fact that MSFT has been dead money since 2003 or so.

And I'm happy that Gates is donating money to good causes. But his fortunes do not match up with those of anyone who invested in MSFT 6 or 7 years ago. I bought MSFT in 2003 and was lucky to bail out without losing money. I bought AAPL for my parents' account in 2004/05 at around $38. Since then, that stock has split and it now stands at $194.
    AAPL vs MSFT - 5 year chart

I'm not a fanboi of various corporations. And neither Steve Jobs nor Bill Gates is going to do shizzle for me. I go with whichever equity makes me the most money. I'll invest in Hitler, Inc. if it seems poised to beat the S&P 500.
    I agree with you Jag on the merits of either stock. The way you talk of stock's, I swear you are channelling Kevin O'Leary from "Shark tank" or up here on the "Dragon's Den". He always talks about how he wants his money to meet more money and bring it home....and he would invest in the devil if he could get a return...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".