Page 157 of 344 FirstFirst ... 57107147155156157158159167207257 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,570 of 3435
    Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRaiden
    What if I'm outdoors and I wanna transfer documents to my iPad through a USB memory stick?
    Then you're a bit of a silly billy then aren't you Given the availability of wifi and cloud storage USB is a rather clunky means of moving documents around now. It's one of the reasons why tablets are being used more, and the reason why an iPad has no need for a USB port.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    Then you're a bit of a silly billy then aren't you Given the availability of wifi and cloud storage USB is a rather clunky means of moving documents around now. It's one of the reasons why tablets are being used more, and the reason why an iPad has no need for a USB port.
    Okay, let's say I'm in a far away village, in the middle of a jungle, on top of a mountain or in the middle of the Sahara desert, pretty much guaranteed no wifi or cloud storage, and I REALLY wanna transfer a file from someone else's USB memory stick to my iPad.

Let's say I'm out of wifi and 3G zone, and I wanna download a 4 GB file off of cloud storage. How many days would I have to wait?

A pretty useless $600 toy, isn't it?

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRaiden
    A pretty useless $600 toy, isn't it?
    No. Works well for me for the 20, and more, reasons I listed earlier.

As you appear to work in remote villages, jungles and deserts I can see why a USB port may be essential for your needs.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    that would be my main moan if I were ever to succumb to the temptation of getting an iPad (or getting my wife an iPad... I'm married you know ) for surfing or media watching just because it IS cool and I can.
    On the other hand, I thought you could get some sort of USB adapter?
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    No. Works well for me for the 20, and more, reasons I listed earlier.

As you appear to work in remote villages, jungles and deserts I can see why a USB port may be essential for your needs.
    Yeah, not that it's been an industry standard on every computer, and anything related to computers, for the last 15 years, it's too much usability for the iPad.

God forbid I'm flying on a long-haul flight and my friend has a movie on his ancient doggone USB stick that I would want to watch. Hmm, fire up the laptop, copy the movie there first, then attach the iPad with the fancy white connector cable, phew, finally!

Apple probably would add $200 more for a USB port in next year's iPad.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    From the article:

Don’t you worry about the iPad lacking an SD card slot and USB port. Apple has you covered with adapters! How nice of Lord Jobs. Instead of building in two industry standards, users are forced to buy extra items with their new iPad. It’s not like the these standards are large and would take away from the oh-so-important design.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    My proof to you would be to read industry magazines and take an interest in graphics full stop. Its one of those situations where you have to be it to know and I work in this field. I can't provide proof to you here anymore than you can provide proof you think most graphics designers use PC's. The truth is I have alot of contact with graphics people and I can only tell you what they all say. Our IT supplier(s) push Mac's for graphics and have done for a long time. In my field its all PC based but then again someone could turn around on a forum and tell me all Product designers use Mac's. I know they don't but how could I prove that opinion wrong other than through experience? Heres a couple of links but they are not regarded as firm proof and I'm not pretending they are.

Why Are Macs Better for Graphic Design? | eHow.com

Mac Vs. PC in Graphic Design | eHow.com

I've had enough of this for now, the GP programme has started on the BBC.. Lets hope for a McLaren win
    LOL, two "articles" written by Apple fanboys are your solid facts?

Industry magazines again have the same thing, opinions. Where are the cold hard facts with market data research showing a pie chart that yes, in fact Macs are used more by graphic designers? And no, I'm not talking about pseudo-artsy hipsters saying with a dopey face "Dude, I'm creative, I use a Mac."

Did you read my post a couple of posts ago as a reply to airshifter? I've been working as a web/graphic designer and video editor for the past 8+ years, and in this tenure have worked for print and media publishing companies in India, USA, UK and France. While some did have Mac as options mainly for video editing on Final Cut Pro, the majority had PCs for pretty much everything else.

Reason? A good quality Mac costs a fortune, easily $2000 +. For that money, you can build a MUCH powerful PC. And what do design software suites like Adobe CS need? Not a better looking computer, not a slicker OS, but better hardware to take care of rendering needs. In India it is easier and cheaper to hire system and network maintenance guys, who know what they're doing, and so PCs hardly ever have any problems. That's also why a lot of online-offshore graphic design companies are able to keep their rates low and see a huge number of clients from all over the world.

Anyway, not that this going around in circles isn't fun, like you said, the GP pre-show has started. Lewis and McLaren for the win!

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    You should be more organised or pay for a decent airline that includes movies in flight lol.
    long haul flights (always at least business class so with plenty of in flight movies I'm not interested in lol) and sitting around in airports would be my main use for an iPad and don't worry, I would make sure to get my collection transferred beforehand.
    Still doesn't make the lack of a bog standard USB port any more defensible lol.
    From the article:
    So it seems that the iPad is designed to milk every last penny out of buyers. You see, having a flush-mounted SD card slot would allow consumers to get away with buying the 16GB model and increasing the storage themselves. That’s clearly not in Apple’s financial favor, but it’s not like anyone expected Apple to look out for the buyer anyway. This is a dealbreaker for me.
    United in diversity !!!

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Can I just mention that Siri is a useless pile of complete crap?
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums