Page 9 of 344 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    "Fastest growing" is something which is often said but means nothing. Trying to make something new look like it's a challenge to the established products.

2008: 10 million people buy an Xbox
    2009: 11 million people buy an Xbox

2008: 10 people buy an iPhone
    2009: 20 people buy an iPhone.

Then iPhone sales are growing 10 times faster than those of the XBox.
    That's very true. But in this case, according to Bloomberg, Wii sales were down by 50% in Q2 of 2009 (year over year), from over 5 million units down to around 2.2 million. In Q4 of 2009, Wii sales were down 35% and Xbox sales were down 2%. The only one of the major console makers to show a gain was Playstation (up 90% vs the previous year). In the last quarter of 2009, iPhone sale were up by 100% over the previous year, to 8.7 million units.

Like I said, I'm not into gaming at all. But from what I've read, the new focus seems to be on software for mobile devices in general, and not so much on the hardware.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    That's very true. But in this case, acccroding to Bloomberg, Wii sales were down by 50% in Q2 of 2009 (year over year), from over 5 million units down to around 2.2 million. In Q4 of 2009, Wii sales were down 35% and Xbox sales were down 2%. The only one of the major console makers to show a gain was Playstation (up 90% vs the previous year). In the last quarter of 2009, iPhone sale were up by 100% over the previous year, to 8.7 million units.
    Journalism sure isn't what it used to be.

~100% of people use the Wii to play games, how many people used their iPhone to play games?

The person who came up with the conclusion that the iPhone is the fastest growing console in terms of sales is a tool.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    Journalism sure isn't what it used to be.

~100% of people use the Wii to play games, how many people used their iPhone to play games?

The person who came up with the conclusion that the iPhone is the fastest growing console in terms of sales is a tool.
    I have no idea. It may be the case that since the device is "gaming capable" and there are loads of apps and games available, that is how it is being classified. Or there may have been additional talk of how many iPhone games and apps had been sold relative to console games. I didn't copy & paste the entire article, and the rest was on Bloomberg TV. So what I provided is just a summary. So, perhaps I am the tool.

But perhaps you have data which disputes the claim?
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    I have no idea. It may be the case that since the device is "gaming capable" and there are loads of apps and games available, that is how it is being classified. Or there may have been additional talk of how many iPhone games and apps had been sold relative to console games. I didn't copy & paste the entire article, and the rest was on Bloomberg TV. So what I provided is just a summary. So, perhaps I am the tool.
    Nah, you couldn't misrepresent something like that. Unless of course you're a journalist
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

So... if the iPhone is not the fastest growing gaming device, then which one is? Is the iPhone even a gaming device?

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
    How can the iPhone be classed as a gaming device?
    It's a phone after all.

Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Langdale Forest
    How can the iPhone be classed as a gaming device?
    It's a phone after all.
    I'm not an expert in english, but:
    .Gaming device -> device that let's you play games
    .iPhone let's you play games -> gaming device

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Colin Steele McRae ...5 August 1968 - 15 September 2007...

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well people can pontificate about it all they like - I'm just looking forward to going into an Apple Store, having a play with one, and then deciding what I think of it.