Page 3 of 344 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Something with an iPhone OS is probably not going to be able to run external displays
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was really looking forward to the iPad, but it seems pretty useless.

Don't see the attraction. $500 for 16 GB of hard drive space? No thanks!
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    Firstly Steve it should be called an iPod Touch jumbo because that's what it is
    It would appear that the internet thinks something else:

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225824254393
    TWITTER users have responded snarkily to the name of Apple's latest innovation the iPad, pushing the phrase "iTampon" to a number two trending topic on the microblogging site.

Are users waiting for the iTampon because it would be smaller than an iPad? Does it come with it's own applicator? Maybe Apple should have used an iPhone before releasing this under it's current name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szrsfeyLzyg

Unfortunately named product? There's an app for that!
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've seen jailbroken iphones being able to connect to external displays, so I'd imagine that the iPad can. Gizmodo (whatever that is) says it should be able to as well. Time will tell!

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GridGirl
    This thread has reminded me of my mate who cant wait to read loads of books on his Sony Reader thing when he goes on holiday to the Maldives in a couple of months. He's bought his Sony thing especially. I just think if that's all you plan to do you might as well save some money and use your Sony Reader in Spain, Italy or anywhere else with sun that is both closer and cheaper. I'm neither a gadget or do nothing holiday person. I just don't get it.

Too true! I can kind of see the point in taking a book away with you. For us there is always that downtime between getting back from whatever we've been doing through the day and going out for the evening. But if your sole purpose is to sit on a beach and read a book and not go anywhere, you might as well stay at home!
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Too true! I can kind of see the point in taking a book away with you. For us there is always that downtime between getting back from whatever we've been doing through the day and going out for the evening. But if your sole purpose is to sit on a beach and read a book and not go anywhere, you might as well stay at home!
    ...............well, a couple of sunlamps installed in the lounge would help; and that's a lot cheaper than flying off to Europe and paying rent there.

When I was doing my campervan thing in Europe, we were able to get books from libraries where we camped, and there was an exchange system where you simply left the books you finished reading, and took out theirs. (free).

I would thbik that buying an ipad simply as a means of reading while on holiday sorta defeats the idea of a holiday.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewmcm
    I've seen jailbroken iphones being able to connect to external displays, so I'd imagine that the iPad can. Gizmodo (whatever that is) says it should be able to as well. Time will tell!
    OK I take that back. But of course it's not out of the box support.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    So what do we know this morning?

The screen will suck battery life, making it a poor competitor for the Kindle et al e-readers, and knowing Apple the battery won't be user-replacable so bang goes carrying a spare.

Sparse storage for its price and no obvious way of connecting a hard drive, USB key or even an SD card.

Wireless keyboard which presumably means an Apple branded one only, no chance of using your favourite ergonomic keyboard.

No external display so there goes any chance of using it as a media player at home or in the office.

No camera - still or video - limiting its use still further.

No multitasking, even my Nokia can handle that and blummin' useful it is too.

Still no support for Flash, which even though it can be evil sometimes is still among the most widespread code on the t'internet - that'll really please advertisers.

Early versions won't have 3G capability, so as usual with Apple the early adopters are shafted when the upgraded version comes out.

I honestly don't get who this is aimed at. If you want an e-reader there are better and cheaper; if you want a proper laptop then this doesn't come close; and if you want a netbook then again there are far better and cheaper out there. I really think they've messed up with this one.

Oh wait! Of course, it's shiny and has an Apple badge.... silly me - it'll sell in its thousands.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brockman
    Oh wait! Of course, it's shiny and has an Apple badge.... silly me - it'll sell in its thousands.
    Of course it will! Apple have always been very good, firstly at marketing, secondly at user interface design. What they aren't so good on is the hardware and features side of things.

News is that it'll cost $499 in the USA. What's to bet it'll be £499 in the UK.

Although Radio 1 puzzled me this morning, they said "It's bigger than an iPhone and a lot more expensive too". Really? Even if we take a direct translation of $499 to £308, to buy an unlocked iPhone is in the region of £800, well over double the price of the tablet
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I wonder if it's saving grace might come in the form of a network subsidy if you buy the 3G version. But to make that attractive you'd surely have to offer voice calls, presumably via a Bluetooth headset unless you want to look like Dom Jolly. This thing can't even handle SMS out of the box.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u