Page 50 of 344 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    I think that's very true. I think it's even more true with older people (not OLD, just older! ). One of the primary reasons that I continue to run older versions of some trading and business software is because the newer versions have features that would require me to essentially relearn the programs. Often they're the same features that I have now, but the process of getting from A-Z changes with the newer versions. And the same is true of smartphones. My girl, her sister and brother-in-law all have iPhones (and Macs). So even before I got the iPod Touch, I was somewhat familiar with the user interface... and found it intuitive and intriguing. So now, if I was to get a smartphone, I would likely go for an iPhone. If not an iPhone, I'd probably look at an iPhone-like device (like the HTC Incredible?) running Android. After that, Blackberry and this new Win Phone 7 might be options. But I've never cared for Blackberries and even refused to carry one where I used to work. And so far, I haven't heard of anything that really sets the Win Phone 7 apart from the crowd (in a way that I care about). If I was a gamer, I understand it closely links to the Xbox. But I don't have and don't want an Xbox, or any other game system. So far, I just haven't heard about a game-changing feature that the Win Phone 7 has that would compel me to buy one, in the event that I decide to get a smartphone.

From what I've read on various sites, the Win Phone 7 is getting decent reviews. But the key issue it's going to have here in the States is whether or not Microsoft will be able to convince the carriers to REALLY back it. Verizon/Vodaphone is now set to get the iPhone next year and they're already doing really well with Android phones. AT&T has made a mint with the iPhone and they're also doing well with Android phones. Sprint/Nextel is also on the Android bandwagon. Other than Nextel, where we got our company phones, I don't recall which ones carry the Blackberry, but I assume most of them do. So long story short, the space is beginning to get crowded. And by being (once again) late to the game, it'll be interesting to see what strategy Microsoft chooses, and whether or not they'll be able to put any sort of meaningful dent in the market.

Will MSFT be a (real) player in the smartphone market, or just an also-ran? Time will tell...
    Windows Phone 7 doesn't bring anything OMFGWTFBBQ special to the table, these days there's little that can amaze people. It's simply a very competent phone with a lot of things integrated. To look for a particular feature in WP7 is to miss the point a bit. It integrates a whole lot of stuff very well. Facebook, Windows live, Xbox Live, Skydrive, Office, Sharepoint etc etc all integrate very well and very deeply.

Use one and I'll be very surprised if even the dedicated Mac users don't at least see some merit in it. Well known Apple lover Stephen Fry even likes WP7...... http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...indows-phone-7
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Actually Daniel, I am as much of an Apple "fanboi" as you are. At this stage in my life I am wise enough to make my own mind up about the electronic products that I purchase - it just so happens that I have purchased an iPhone and use a Macbook Pro for work because they suit my needs the best. When it comes to making purchases in the future I will survey the market at the time and choose the configuration that is right for me, be it Samsung, Nokia, Apple, Microsoft or whatever.

And in keeping with this objectivity, you should try an iOS/Symbian/Android Phone. You know, just for comparison's sake. I'm sure you'd dislike being called a fanboi as much as I would.

Stephen Fry is an open-minded kind of guy. Using Apple products does not automatically make one anti-everything-else-made-by-anyone-else.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...review-htc-hd7 - so Daniel, how do your experiences compare with those of the author of this article?

Liked 311 Times in 207 Posts

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel

Seriously, stop being a biased little Apple fanboi and try one out and appreciate the intelligent/forward thinking design of the UI
    Daniel, let's discuss this nicely thanks !
    When you're tired of rallying...you're tired of life

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewmcm
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...review-htc-hd7 - so Daniel, how do your experiences compare with those of the author of this article?
    The article is OK. But there are a lot of omissions, mistakes and personal preference in there. A little like Richard Hammon marking a car down for being too spacious inside for him. How many times in an article does he say "OMFG said feature doesn't work!!!!!" only to then say Update: I'm a bit of a tool and I've not actually don't my reading which shows that it's done in a particular way or that Microsoft is going to provide an update for it later.

I certainly don't think it's worth a 5/5 or anything, especially because multitasking doesn't work but there's no way it's a 3/5 as this grauniad monkey says.

I think he's wrong to complain about there not being enough information on the screen too. IMHO WP7 strikes the right balance between having too much info on the screen and not enough. If you want tonnes of detail then use a laptop or a PC. I know that sounds like an excuse or something but it isn't.

Here's a review worth reading IMHO
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/20/w...hone-7-review/

It doesn't gloss over the faults and it provides videos which help show the UI in motion. One thing I will agree with the article you posted is the notification area. I definitely hope that Microsoft release an update to make it stick to the top, this is a phone after all right? Not being able to see battery power and signal strength at all times is a bit of a joke....
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 112 Times in 94 Posts
    I forgot to inform you that my MacBook Pro has been replaced by Sony Vaio :

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    I got a new smartphone for Christmas, its a PAYG Orange San Francisco also known as the ZTE Blade. At £99 RRP I wasn't expecting very much but after unlocking, rooting etc and flashing it with a custom Android Rom to get rid of the slow clunky orange UI and bloatware I've been pleasantly surprised at how good a phone it now is, nice OLED capacitive screen and it now zips along and can play the more demanding games no problem.
    The camera isn't great but other than that I couldn't recomend it highly enough.

If you are looking for a cheap PAYG smartphone.. its a bargain!

Review here.. http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pho...-901915/review
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Sounds good. I think soon even the cheapest phones will effectively be 'smart phones' running the likes of Android, with the competition being based upon the hardware capabilities of the device, rather than so much on the software contained within it.

It was said when the iPhone came out that it would fail because Apple wouldn't allow carriers to put all their bloatware onto the phone, however I think it [i]succeeded[/b] because of that! I mean who ever uses or likes that stuff?
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I forgot to mention that Nokia are rumoured to be releasing a windows phone 7 model this year. Should be good if true

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I have been pondering buying an iPad as a gift for a little while now. Seeing as Apple usually have around a 1 year life cycle before they release a new model I've done a little googling and the rumours are that the iPad 2 is due to be unveiled in the next couple of weeks with a release date in April. This timescale seems to tie in with Apple announcing and launching the iPad last year.

Anyone have any thoughts on the IPad 2?
    My phone has an alarm clock! Ner Ner! :p