Page 338 of 344 FirstFirst ... 238288328336337338339340 ... LastLast
Results 3,371 to 3,380 of 3435
    Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/21/7...nd-replacement

Looks like this is the end of the line for Nokia phones . Since Microsoft took over they are now going to drop the Nokia name and the phones will be Microsoft Lumia instead. Of course Microsoft didn't buy the entire company, just the part that makes phones it's quite possible that this was always the plan, that they would only be allowed to use the Nokia name for a short while.

Nokia is still a big company and does mapping and network infrastructure, but the demise of the Nokia brand can show how the mighty call fall so quickly, the likes of Apple and Google should take note!
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Admin
    Was just thinking back to how many Nokia's I've owned over the years, and it's quite a few as Nokia was synonymous with mobile phones for well over a decade, so here's my list

Was actually my Dad's phone and for many was their first foray into owning a mobile. Was very basic and weighed a tonne but did the job. Have memories of going to some of the first forum meetups at touring car races carrying one of these in my pocket.

6310i
    Until I got my iPhone 4S this was the phone I used for the longest time, about 3 years I think. Did everything you needed at the time and had a battery life of about a week! Only really got rid of it when the screen smashed - just like my 4S!

Got this as my first foray into the new big thing of colour screens! It may have been cheaply made and underpowered, but it was a very innovative phone for it's time, running Symbian it was one of the first you could get where you could load software onto it (the term 'apps' hadn't really been coined yet), I remember running TomTom satnav on it, even though it required a seperate GPS reciever!

N73
    Kind of building on the 3230 I actually really liked this phone, never gave me any trouble and running the same symbian you could load the likes of TomTom, digital bedside clocks etc, and it's the phone where I first downloaded the viewranger UK maps, which I still use on my iPhone today. I actually had two of them as after one broke after a year I got another one! Main drawback as with my Nokia things as it had a lot of features but they never really worked properly, I was never able to get emails working for example, neither on this phone or the N96/N97 whereas on my first iPhone 'it just worked'.

N96
    Bigger screen and a slider phone, better than the N73 as it had wifi and GPS onboard, but it did suffer from being cheaply made with cheap plastic, while I didn't dislike it it's the only phone I've had for less than a year - 8 months I think it was.

N97
    This was the big Nokia flagship phone that promised so much and yet delivered so little. Touch screen with flip out keyboard it was meant to take on both the iPhone and the Blackberry at the same time, and spectacularly failed on both fronts. OS which was not designed for touch screen was hacked to make it work and was chock full of bugs, and lots of stuff - such as the GPS which just didn't work at all. Not to mention it being so slow due to vastly under specced hardware. It was this phone above all else that made myself and I know many others, finally give up their loyalty to Nokia for the majority of the year or so I had the phone I was waiting for the iPhone 4 to be released, which I got on the day of release and never looked back.

Since the Nokias I've had iPhone 4, iPhone 4S and iPhone 6.

It's a shame, but as ever it's a story of missed opportunity as Nokia had one of the first smartphone platforms, yet loading apps required you connecting a cable and downloading install files from random websites, who had to have their own payments system as there was no central app store. When Nokia finally did set one up Apple's app store was already dominant.

It was obvious that they would face challenges, but nobody could have possibly predicted that in the middle of the last decade that in the middle of the next, Nokia mobile phones would cease to exist. RIP Nokia.
    Last edited by Mark; 22nd October 2014 at 15:01.

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
    I'm not all sorry the current phone business is over for Nokia, they grew too large and became too corporate.

I do think they aren't done with phone business on consumer products, just that there is no point in hopping on current technology. Smartphones haven't really had anything new for few years now, just bigger and faster models, kind of like in the late 90's and early 2000's
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Admin
    Another article here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29724072

It seems MS had an agreement to use the Nokia name for 10 years, but is phasing it out after less than one. Does make you wonder why, I'm guessing they figured it wasn't really adding anything to their proposition?

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
    I guess having another company's name in your products isn't something the bosses ant MS want to see.
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Admin
    It does seem that as a company Nokia is doing very nicely thankyouverymuch without the mobile business http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10...one_albatross/

Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Was just thinking back to how many Nokia's I've owned over the years, and it's quite a few as Nokia w......... RIP Nokia.
    same here, my first ever phone back in 2000 was the brick, Nokia 5150
    Also had the 3310 after Mumbai monsoons killed the brick - this worked for a long time, only moved to Sony Ericsson later on (T200 and my last phone which I lost K something or the other).

I am back on Nokia now though, for the last year have had a Lumia. Good phone for the price, although my next one will not be a Microsoft/Nokia child..Although when that will happen I don't know since I rarely change phones for the sake of it. (I dislike Apple and more so it's fanboys who line up overnight for something as mundane as a phone, but I have a morbid fascination about their stuff...I have silently decided that I want to own a Macbook someday...iPhone, hmmmm you never know)
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Admin
    Actually these days people with Apple stuff just get on with it and it's those who want to bash Apple products who are the most vocal about it.

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Actually these days people with Apple stuff just get on with it and it's those who want to bash Apple products who are the most vocal about it.
    But then again, that is how this thread started.

There are fanatics on both sides of the camp IMO, and I'd never wait in line for a phone or other such thing. And now having both Apple and Android I use on a regular basis, I can see the up and down sides to both.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    27th January 2010, 16:40

Personally I see this as the first flop for Apple after a long string of successes.

What does the iPad do that people want it to do?
    Yes, this is how it started. But Daniel has a Subaru (or did), so he's still a good guy in my eyes. I wouldn't take tech or investing advice from him. But he's a good egg at heart.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith