Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Casey Mears

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbum
    So... based on that analysis, Michael Waltrip racing hired Steve Hallam, so they must be looking at F1? Got it.
    So when I said it probably means nothing you just read over that part?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDS
    So when I said it probably means nothing you just read over that part?
    IMHO, the implication was that the addition of Iain Watts might indicate Robbie's interest in moving to series with cars more in line with Watts experience. As you say it might mean nothing. If it means nothing, why suggest the implication?

Again, IHMO this may imply that NASCAR is moving to a technical level where engineers with experience in other "high tech" racing bring additional value to the teams.
    I read it on the internet, so it must be true

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Watts has been in NASCAR for at least two years now. The only reason I think their might be something more to it is that Robby has no money. He's looking at making the first eight or so races before having to shut his team down for lack of funds. I get the job market in NASCAR isn't what it was two years ago, but it looks a bit odd for an engineer of Watt's caliber to go to a team that might not make it to Charlotte.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Watts has been in NASCAR for at least two years now. The only reason I think their might be something more to it is that Robby has no money. He's looking at making the first eight or so races before having to shut his team down for lack of funds. I get the job market in NASCAR isn't what it was two years ago, but it looks a bit odd for an engineer of Watt's caliber to go to a team that might not make it to Charlotte.
    Watt's may not have had any other offers. As good as he may or may not be, there is a lot of smart guys out there. He may also already be in Charlotte and not wanting to move up to Indy.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So to sum up my position: Robby hired an engineer with a lot of open wheel experience. Probably means nothing, small chance it could signify something else. Just total speculation on my part. No idea what's really going on.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    That's what the silly season is for.
    I find Silly season often better entertainment than some races..and that goes for other forms of racing besides NASCAR as well. Silly season and gossip is more.....up in the air, and opinions can fly every which way.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    And as it turns out Robby is in fact pursuing a ride in 500.

He was a guest on some NASCAR program, and when asked about making an attempt at Indy this year he replied, "We giving it serious consideration right now... I would like to go to the Indy 500."

Guess my "Crystal Ball" was fairly accurate. It looks like he is going to do a partial schedule, he's lost Jim Beam as a sponsor, but Monster looks to be upping their involvement with him. He also has a very good relationship with John Menard.

http://www.planetrobby.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    And as it turns out Robby is in fact pursuing a ride in 500.

He was a guest on some NASCAR program, and when asked about making an attempt at Indy this year he replied, "We giving it serious consideration right now... I would like to go to the Indy 500."

Guess my "Crystal Ball" was fairly accurate. It looks like he is going to do a partial schedule, he's lost Jim Beam as a sponsor, but Monster looks to be upping their involvement with him. He also has a very good relationship with John Menard.

http://www.planetrobby.com
    Well KVRT might pick him up for the 500 if he has Monster backing (PT connection).
    The Other Side - "2011 Silly Season Update" Dec 17/2010
    Bookmark Us!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chamoo
    Well KVRT might pick him up for the 500 if he has Monster backing (PT connection).
    If he has money I think he'll have his pick of teams, he could also use his own team with rented equipment, as he's done in the past.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mears was unable to make the field for the Daytona 500. I'm thinking that can only help the chances of us seeing him at Indy this May.