Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Casey Mears

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Casey Mears

Would any of you like to see Casey Mears run the 2010 Indianapolis 500? He is set to be a free agent after Bristol in the Sprint Cup series and will be available come May (unless his team is able to scrape together more sponsorship).

He is an American, he has the last name, he has some talent, he has Open Wheel experience, and he knows what Indianapolis means.

Nascar has made him popular, even if he only ran around near the middle of the pack most of his career, Nascar can make their 40th place driver as popular as the Izod Indycar's 6th place driver (atleast in the eyes of average America).

I think Casey Mears would definately bring some more eyes to Indy this year if he were to run. Obviously, it wouldn't make the big impact that Tony Stewart or Kurt or Kyle Bush would make, but it's a start isn't it? Group Robbie Gordon, John Andretti, and Casey Mears into the starting 33 and you appeal to some more Nascab fans as well as some average Americans who know who they are.
    The Other Side - "2011 Silly Season Update" Dec 17/2010
    Bookmark Us!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Casey Mears should have already made 6 or 7 Indy 500 starts in his career, if Indy Car had any clue.

Yes, I would love to see a Mears back in the Indy 500 again. He's somebody someone has actually heard of.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    The more the better... and particularly if they have a "last name".
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chamoo
    I think Casey Mears would definately bring some more eyes to Indy this year if he were to run. Obviously, it wouldn't make the big impact that Tony Stewart or Kurt or Kyle Bush would make, but it's a start isn't it? Group Robbie Gordon, John Andretti, and Casey Mears into the starting 33 and you appeal to some more Nascab fans as well as some average Americans who know who they are.
    I would imagine nearly all of the people who currently follow Casey Mears in NASCAR already watch the Indy 500 too. Mears has made very little impression on NASCAR. Most NASCAR fans don't follow wash-outs when they fall out of the Major Leagues.
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There may be a number of NASCAR drivers with open wheel experience available during the month of May. Per Jayski John Andretti, Patrick Carpentier, Michael McDowell, J.J. Yeley and Robby Gordon don't have full time rides secured this year, and A.J. Allmendinger is running a partial schedule at the moment, but I'm pretty sure that would include the Coke 600. While none of them would be an quick fix, they're all qualified American (except Carp) drivers with a plethora of oval experience and I'd like to see them added to the field of any ICS race. Sadly none of them would bring any significant money to the table, and that's what it takes to get rides these days.

The only one I've heard looking at making an Indy 500 appearance this year has been Robby Gordon, but then again Robby Gordon is always looking at making an Indy 500 start.

Also, this is nothing but a guess on my part, but if his cup program fails, or is bought out, he might take what sponsorship he has; Monster, Polaris, and Menards and maybe go to an ICS team, or start one next year. He's talked about wanting to work with his brother-in-law a couple of times.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty G.
    Casey Mears should have already made 6 or 7 Indy 500 starts in his career, if Indy Car had any clue.

Yes, I would love to see a Mears back in the Indy 500 again. He's somebody someone has actually heard of.
    If they had a clue? Anyone here know if Casey made the decision to go to NASCAR on his own willingly? You assume always it is the conspiracy against American drivers by American owners purely to annoy you. He is not a great driver in NASCAR, and he wasn't any leading light in open wheel.

If he comes back, the needle barely moves really.....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would love to see Mears in the month of May. I've always thought it was a shame he wasnt in Indycar. I guess we will see what happens....keep your fingers crossed...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    If they had a clue? Anyone here know if Casey made the decision to go to NASCAR on his own willingly? You assume always it is the conspiracy against American drivers by American owners purely to annoy you. He is not a great driver in NASCAR, and he wasn't any leading light in open wheel.

If he comes back, the needle barely moves really.....

Yes, they haven't had a clue. Proof is in the pudding.

Casey left for NASCAR for the same reasons most Americans go to NASCAR. Opportunity and because you don't get hired in Indy Cars anymore, unless you write a check. He spent a nice period of time in NASCAR, being PAID to race and never having to spend a dime to buy his ride. He lost his seat, for the reason you SHOULD lose a seat in racing....lack of results.

Mears is someone, whose skills were/are better suited for Indy Car Racing. Just like Hornish (who also won't be around much longer in Cup either).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty G.
    Yes, they haven't had a clue. Proof is in the pudding.

Casey left for NASCAR for the same reasons most Americans go to NASCAR. Opportunity and because you don't get hired in Indy Cars anymore, unless you write a check. He spent a nice period of time in NASCAR, being PAID to race and never having to spend a dime to buy his ride. He lost his seat, for the reason you SHOULD lose a seat in racing....lack of results.

Mears is someone, whose skills were/are better suited for Indy Car Racing. Just like Hornish (who also won't be around much longer in Cup either).
    Well, if I'm not mistaken, Casey Mears lost his ride because of sponsorship issues. RCR only has 3 cars this season due to the sponsorship issues. Sound familiar?
    The Other Side - "2011 Silly Season Update" Dec 17/2010
    Bookmark Us!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chamoo
    Well, if I'm not mistaken, Casey Mears lost his ride because of sponsorship issues. RCR only has 3 cars this season due to the sponsorship issues. Sound familiar?
    Most times, sponsorship issues are caused by performance issues.

How long did Casey drive for Hendrick, the team that finished 1, 2, 3 in the championship this year?
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.