Liked 212 Times in 133 Posts

How to be a rally driver????

I will say that I am still quite young. I can't even have a driving license yet because Im not old enough, but ever since I was a little boy I dreamed about being a rally driver.
    Im not asking here for the "how to be a rally driver" magic trick, since if there was one most of us wouldn't be here and probably would be driving whatever car at Rally Of Monte Carlo. I know a rally driver has to be an experienced guy but mostly talented, and im not saying in both of those but i wouldn't like to die without knowing If I could be a good one.
    Sop what Im asking here is if anyone, driver or not, has some info on how actual rally drivers started and in what conditions.

I feel this could be the purpose of my life but let's not get Filosophycal!!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Related to this question, I am applying for a navigators license. I have the form and everything and all the gear I just don't have a clue what license to apply for. Does anyone know? I've never applied before
    Colin Steele McRae ...5 August 1968 - 15 September 2007...

Liked 314 Times in 170 Posts
    Francis44:
    The more that you can learn & experience before you start driving the better. I assume you are in Portugal as that is the flag you have showing. If this is correct it may be useful to contact FPAK here: http://www.fpak.pt/ as they may be able to give you details of a local motor club that you can join. By joining a club you will be able to learn from the other members. You can go marshalling & learn how a rally is run, go timekeepking & learn how the timing works & maybe get to co-drive/navigate on a rally before you are old enough to drive yourself. Some countries have small events on private land for young drivers in low powered cars to learn rallying before they can drive on the roads so you might be able to start sooner than you think.

Macd:
    Assuming you are a Scot (again based on the flag) you have three choices for a licence depending on what you want to do. You can buy a Rally National - Non Driver licence (£47) which will let you navigate on any rally up to National A status (virtually everything in the UK except for BRC events) but won't cover you to drive on any event. If you fancy occasionally driving on Autotests, Autocross, Road Rallies, Sprints, Trials &c as well as navigating on National B rallies (but not National A or higher events) then you can buy a Non Race National B licence (£37). If you want to drive as well as navigate on Stage Rallies then you will need to buy a "Go Rallying Pack" and complete an approved rally driving course before qualifying to buy a Rally Stage National B licence which will let you drive or navigate on National B rallies (but not National A or higher events).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Boyd
    -snip-
    Thanks a lot mate. I'm only 16 so cant drive on the events anyway.I'll go for that national A.
    Colin Steele McRae ...5 August 1968 - 15 September 2007...

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts

Junior Rallying

The rules differ from country to country, so its a bit hard to give an answer that apply to more a few:

UK: Has formula 1000 that runs rally for juniors: http://www.formula1000.co.uk/

In Portugal i found this. But my portugese is not very good, so not sure what it is: http://www.fpak.pt/REG-2010/RALIS/Re...lis%202010.pdf

Otherwise the same tip always apply: Karting is the best way to get driver training, and that also helps for future rallying !

Liked 212 Times in 133 Posts
    To Steve Boyd and Sulland, I want to thank. Both are already providing me with good information which I will definitely use.

And I have done some karting too, not competively but I like to get the grips with driving on Karts and here in Portugal we have some good tracks.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Francis44: I totally agree with what both Sulland & Steve Boyd said but add to that find yourself an experienced co-driver & work with someone who has been competing for a few years. It's something that I didn't do (being 21 & have done 2 seasons of local rallying) but I now work with a guy a year older than me but we learn off each other all of the time, it's really great as a team of 2 cars as you can sometimes get stuff cheaper too.