Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

(Vale) Greg Pretty

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...006301,00.html

I heard of this terrible accident on the day it occured - popular riders road in the Adelaide hills - and I was saddened by the deaths of two fellow riders.

Only today I discovered it was Greg Pretty.

I didn't know Greg though I had met him, and was well aware of his skills as a world class rider, and as a former Australian Superbike Champion. I have a vivid memory only a few years ago at a ride day at Phillip Island. I had (I thought..) got a good exit from turn 12 and was tucking in to give it the berries, when this orange bike (a Kawasaki ZX10R I think) went past me in much the same way as Gardner went past Doohan in '90 (broken fairing), the wind blast knocking me and bike across the track. Like I was going backwards.

That was Greg Pretty, and when I asked him for some advice later (he was tutoring at this particular track day) I mentioned my earlier experience, to which he laughed and said something about the ZX10R being a bit of a jet, and that he thought I might get a bit of a "blast" from the experience. He later advised me how to knock off a few seconds from my P.I. personal best (yep, I am not the fastest :rolleyes . A nice approachable guy and obviously loved riding bikes and helping others get the most from their experience, too.

My thoughts go to the Pretty family and friends, and to the family of the other rider who died, needlessly, last saturday 16th of January, 2010.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Very sad indeed. I too met Greg at a PI ride day, he was very laid back and unassuming in the pit but on the track he'd suck your fairings off.

A huge shame. Terrible for the other riders family too. I hope some riders go away from this with a better understanding of their responsibilities on the road.
    Phantom... Bike Who Parks

"It's a tour, not a race... but don't get in my way while I'm touring!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Really terrible news. Just like Norrick Abe, it just shows that regardless of your own skill, it only takes someone else to make a mistake on the road to have tragic consequences. My thoughts are with his friends and family.
    Get off my lawn