Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC vs IRC

Liked 353 Times in 209 Posts

WRC vs IRC

Hi everyone, not sure where but thought to post this question here:

In the year to come; 2011 will see the S2000 era of cars in the WRC.

Citroen and Ford - and read that Abarth, Peugeot, Skoda etc would/could join the championship....

But on another note... the IRC have got S2000 cars competing + Production cars Subaru's and Mitsubishi's... other words similar to PWRC.

So if the WRC in future will be only S2000 cars... and the IRC already is mostly S2000 cars... then will the two championships continue separately or could they merge into one? I know Eurosport is IRC and North One is WRC but they're both FIA as well? (please confirm on this).

I've read that Mikko will be doing Monte in a Fiesta and Loeb won't be as the DS3 isn't ready yet - this gives Mikko an advantage is the Monte will be back in 2011's calendar.

Yes I know i'm going on still - ok so if 2011 will be WRC S2000 only - IRC S2000 only then drivers can mix between the championships no? Earn points in each as well as Manufacturers.... unless it merges... which it might or might not!

Just my two cents but question as well.
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Also a thought and question here - S2000's are in for 20101...

What will the privateers drive? Citroen to give DS3 to P. Solberg? M-Sport to give Fiesta's to Henning and Wilson and Munchi's? Thus this needing more teams, drivers and cars for the future of the WRC?

It still might be a Citroen vs Ford championship...

Liked 212 Times in 133 Posts
    I dont think you are correct, the S2000 will not be in the WRC 2011 championship, the 2011 WRC cars will be 1.6T, and correct me if im wrong, but I think this was already decided by the FIA.

MJW
    I have no proof only what I personally beleive but I think Jean Todt will not allow WRC and IRC to remain in 2011. I anticipate the 2011 WRC calendar will start off with Monte Carlo. I guess Citroen, Ford, Prodrive (Mini or Mazda) will be present, possibly Tommi Makinen Racing with a 1.6T Subaru, and in 2012 VW will join WRC
    IRC will fade away in name, but the spirit of IRC, longer routes more freedom in formats will be taken on by WRC and even Safari will be back.
    I also expect Loeb to move to endurance racing after winning his 7th wrc title.
    2011 will be the Mikko and Ogier era, as a few of the current wrc car driving lot move off to new pastures.

OH CRAP

I thought WRC will have S2000 cars.. and not 1.6T

SORRY.

So is the S2000 era going to DIE? So why the development of S2000 cars with so many manufactures? Peugeot, Abarth, Skoda, Proton, VW?

What is the Fiesta that is competing in the IRC in Monte with Mikko? 1.6T? or S2000? That is why it's confusing. So will the 2011 season have WRCars as 1.6T and S-WRC be S2000 cars? Sandell in S2000 Skoda for 2010/11???

Liked 212 Times in 133 Posts
    I think factories can easily change a S2000 to a 1.6T specification car, in fact the DS3 is running already in a 1.6T, and that's probably why they aren't taking part in any rally this year with it. M-Sport will later make all the necessary changes to the car but they are interested in making money selling the Fiesta in S2000 spec so they can make some money.

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Do you guys think that the current S2000 cars will work as the "sub-class" to the Wrc? I mean like the production championship today? So that we would have a Wrc-championship, a S2000 championship and a S1600 championship in 2011? Will the PWRC be ditched?

Liked 1,779 Times in 421 Posts
    PWRC definitely remains. It will be still much cheaper category. These cars are still much cheaper to buy and maintain and not much slower to compare with the current S2000 cars and new 33m restrictor rules

As far as I understood 1.6T will be based on s2.0 car, only new engine and additional turbo. So, development costs for the current s2000 owners cannot be too big.

No more S2000 cars with 2.0 engine is allowed to homologate from 2011 so there is no place for SWRC and IRC with the current regulations. They can use old cars as long as they are available.

Most probably JWRC remains as well but this class is going to ban S1600 cars as they were too expensive. They will be replaced by much cheaper R2 and R3 cars. Similar to IRC 2WD group. At the same time FWD cars are good place to learn for young drivers.
    Colins Crest = Möldri Mätas

Liked 3,794 Times in 1,687 Posts
    We will see, what will be in the future. But I think next year will stay both - IRC and WRC. And also high people at FIA dont believe thath WRC will be higher (due to television coverage) and they are trying to find a solution how to "save" WRC...