Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    but don't you see, i'm not saying that more more engines and openness would not be better. I'm point out that the way people advocate to get that result is totally wrong, backwards, and debilitating to the sport.

having a SPEC rules with fixed suppliers is a CLOSER step to the ideal of fixed rules in which anybody can bring anything that meets them. The totally bogus concept that we will engage in politics and backroom financial deals in order to bring in a bunch of various competing manufacturers into the fold is a bogus road that is never going to lead to the idea of setting rules ahead of time with integrity for anyone to build to.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CCWS77
    I just think fans and even IRL leadership falsely equate having a manufacturer involved as somehow equaling or leading to these exciting idea of bring whatever you come with that meets these fixed rules.

1(GOOD)fixed rules ahead of time, build and bring whatever you can to meet that
    2(OK) SPEC rules with fixed suppliers
    3(AWFUL) manufacturer negotiated and subsidized bendable rules

everyone bitches about 2, but that is not the real problem, 3 is. That is what the IRL has been doing all along and continues to fail at. People just get confused by the fact that only 1 company wanted to play.
    If I had my chance to run the rule book, this is what I would say. (left intentionally vague because I'm not an expert.)

Car specs to keep it to look like a traditional Indycar/formula car. What I fear about this "delta" car is that people look at it and do not recognize it as a indycar. It should have wings, sidepods, central carbon fiber tub, etc.

The rear wing would measure XX sq. inches, the maximum width being no wider than the distance between the rear tires , so you could run thinner tires and a wider but narrower wing.

Chassis would not be limited by manufactures, so any car built to spec could be allowed to enter. Max. price rules would still be enforced, with a min. product that must be met if demanded that would be determined by the league (so Lola would have to be able to produce more cars than if Dan Drinan tried) Cars would be on a 3 year cycle, new cars would only be allowed at the start each 3 year period. All undertrays would have to be submitted to the league for approval before they could be run. The undertrays could be changed & updated year to year, buy the one submitted at the start of the season is the only one that will be legal on that car for the year.

Engines would be a mixed variants as big as 4.0L NA (V12 to V8) or 2.0L turbocharged (V-6 to I-4) or. Boost levels, rev limiters and air restrictors would be used to equal the power. Power outputs would be targeted at 900 hp for the RC and Indianapolis and 700 for all other ovals. Engine formula could be adjusted at anytime for competition purposes to maintain level playing field (So if they went back to Denver, turbo cars would get less boost than Long Beach or St. Pete at sea level) Adjustments could also be made using min. weight or fuel cell size.

It is a blend or CART, IRL, Grand Am & ACO/FIA sports car rules. Is it perfect, no.
    Most posters on this forum can't think past their own screen names...