Page 96 of 129 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast

Thread: GT Class

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    You’re probably missing a crucial aspect: Monte Carlo Rally is still one of the most valuable branded motorsport events in the world. To win in no matter class on MC Rally can become an image boost for any manu, especially when there’s s strong heritage attached. In a bigger scale, the same happens in Le Mans; that’s why a secondary class win is so meaningful to Ford.

Maybe I’m being too optimistic, but I really believe that Alpine in RGT, probably in a venture with Dumas, is only a matter of time.
    Have You tried to ask people around You if they know who won Monte Carlo in GT class? I grant You that far majority would ask anything along "Were there some GT? I though it was WRC!" A quarter of the folks would know that Ogier won with Ford. One of hundred would know that Mikkelsen won WRC2 and maybe if You search really really hard You find someone who knows that Abarth was there.

I don't speak about this forum but about people living around us, for example my colleagues at work - in automotive company where nearly everybody follows some sort of motorsport. Even there I'm pretty sure that I can't find anyone on my floor (roughly sixty people) who would even know results of WRC2.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Mate, you’re seeing the glass half empty…

Do you think Ford is promoting their LMGT win at Le Mans 2016 by saying: we were only 18th overall, but we won the minor LMGTE class! Of course not; they’re advertising a Ford win in Le Mans. Full stop. Win and Le Mans, those are the words they want to spread among consumers in order to boost their brand image.
    https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...s-le-mans.html

The same would happen in a well promoted Alpine RGT MC Rally campaign. Nobody would care if a win would occur in a secondary class, against four or five private crews, because it’d still be a Alpine win at Monte Carlo.

That’s why it’s wrong to see a hypothetical Alpine RGT program as a waste of resources. We should see it as smart and inexpensive way to link a reborn brand to its illustrious past. Plus, a chance to revamp RGT class and bring Renault closer to WRC. As a rally fan I’d love it!
    Rally addict since 1982

Does Škoda advertise their successes? Yes, they do, heavily.
    Do people know that they won Monte Carlo? Most of the people don't. As I said I don't know a single colleague at my work who would know about their victory - despite it was Škoda, i.e. Czech company and despite it was advertised and mentioned by the news.
    Do the same people know that Ford won Monte Carlo with Ogier? Reasonable part of them knows that.
    Fun fact - many of them know that Škoda was close to victory in IRC days but don't have a clue they won in WRC2. Why? Because overall victory counts. Associated cups don't.

Even if Renault advertises R-GT Cup it would be still nowhere near even the WRC2 simply because of completely different level of competition. Even the WRC2 which has very good quality is invisible for most of the people. If You think that R-GT Cup can become something more You are delusional.

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Does Škoda advertise their successes? Yes, they do, heavily.
    Do people know that they won Monte Carlo? Most of the people don't. As I said I don't know a single colleague at my work who would know about their victory - despite it was Škoda, i.e. Czech company and despite it was advertised and mentioned by the news.
    Do the same people know that Ford won Monte Carlo with Ogier? Reasonable part of them knows that.
    Fun fact - many of them know that Škoda was close to victory in IRC days but don't have a clue they won in WRC2. Why? Because overall victory counts. Associated cups don't.
    Even if Renault advertises R-GT Cup it would be still nowhere near even the WRC2 simply because of completely different level of competition. Even the WRC2 which has very good quality is invisible for most of the people. If You think that R-GT Cup can become something more You are delusional.
    You’re obviously forgetting how Skoda success in WRC lower classes during the 80’s and 90’s (from 1300cc class to kit car 2L world cup), hugely helped to boost Skoda’s brand image in Europe and it was decisive to their eventual WRC class manufacturer involvement.

To praise lower classes (including RGT) in WRC is not a delusional attitude; it’s the recognition that this great sport can become even greater, through a higher diversity of cars and brands.
    Rally addict since 1982

It may have helped a brand considered to be an utter crap. Alpine or Abarth obviously aren't in similar situation and I really don't know how being around 20-30th place overall behind loads of cars of cheap brands could help their image.
    Last edited by Mirek; 2nd April 2017 at 23:09.

6. Likes: janvanvurpa (12th April 2017)
    Liked 3,289 Times in 1,731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    the Alpine brand is all about passion!
    Exactly! Just like it is portrayed in this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9F1YDjkJys
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

Test of Delecour for Corsica: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maeUsFJy-cs

There's some oldfashioned feeling in the video. The car suspension looks hard as a brick like the cars used to be two decades a go. Not that bad for spectating when Delecour drives it.

9. Likes: A FONDO (5th April 2017),Sulland (12th April 2017)
    Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts
    Delecour would love driving an Alpine A110 R-GT if a tuing firm or Alpine would make one and have it homologated!

Liked 77 Times in 41 Posts
    WRC highlights video from Dumas and his Porsche at the Tour de Corse:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i7PBXrHw9g

12. Likes: Sulland (13th April 2017)
    Liked 467 Times in 284 Posts
    Which idiot decided to put pointless music over it ?!?!?!??!

14. Likes: Jarek Z (9th May 2017),pantealex (18th April 2017)