Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Chris Atkinson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Chris will be interviewed on totalrally.com tonight from 8pm (gmt)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch555
    I like how everyone thinks Chris can just conjure money out of the air and get back into rallying. Although Chris didn't pay for his drives, he probably wasn't paid much either. For him to raise the funds for a tilt at the WRC, PWRC or even ARC would take a really big effort considering motorsport is dominated by the V8 Supercars in Australia. So although you can get stuck into him for not driving, its not like he's a superstar like Petter, or living in a country like Finland where people are able to find people to sponsor rally drivers.

@Stalks. What is the story of John Atkinson. It is impossible to find any info on the net. Only John Atkinson I can find is the man involved in the Gore Atkinson Group (different John Atkinson though)
    tough. he has his chance. there is other talented drivers out there more deserving. he just cant blame the car. part of being a good driver, is being able to lead the team with car development.
    ------------------------------------
    But you can call me Buzz
    email: buzz@pixar.com

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalks
    Well, news flash! He's going to have to now.

Every rally, every year he sits on the sidelines waiting for the golden offer is another rally, another year that someone willing to spend their own money will get a drive ahead of him.
    Honestly, how many properly paid drivers are there in WRC now? 4, 5? The rest are paying themselves, or bring personal sponsors to the team. He has said he won't pay, and which personal sponsors does he have?

For the most part of his APRC Suzuki drive it was in all honesty probably financially propped up by his father, as were his ARC campaigns. Can you recall what signage/sponsors were on his Group N Impreza's?
    Maybe if dad sells one or more of his personal helicopters he could fund it that way.
    Or......in other words with apologies to Micheal Herr:
    Poor widdle Atko internal monologue:
    Oz... sh!t; I'm still only in Oz... Every time I think I'm gonna wake up back in the jungle.
    When I was home after my first tour, it was worse. I'd wake up and there'd be nothing. I hardly said a word to Prodrive, until I said "yes" to a divorce. When I was home after my first tour, it was worse.
    [grabs at flying insect]
    . When I was here, I wanted to be there; when I was there,
    all I could think of was getting back into the jungle.

I'm here a week now... waiting for a mission... getting softer. Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger. Each time I looked around the walls moved in a little tighter. "

ony question is if Atko there in the piccie is sinking to never rise again.
    Poor widdle thing.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 353 Times in 209 Posts

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by alleskids
    http://www.rallyreportnews.com.ar/
    Proton will do IRC with Alister McRae and Chris Atkinson, with Tom Cave in a (private) third Proton. Later this year there will possible be oppertunities for Francois Duval, Anton Alen, Matti Rantanen and Heikki Kovalainen.

The English structure that manages the fates of Proton in the International Rally, the MEM World Rally Team, who commands Chris Mellors, plus the backing of David Felton, are in the final negotiations for establishing the campus of Proton drivers from Sardinia on IRC this season, and after performing various tests at its headquarters in Britain, is a fact that the main driver will be the Scotsman Alister McRae, who also take part in the APRC with another unit of Satria Neo S2000.
    While the second seat in the square with the economic sporte from Malaysia was destined for the Australian Chris Atkinson, who would return to international action after his steady pace from 2005 to 2008 with Subaru WRT and a sporadic presentation with the Junior Team, using the C4 WRC in Ireland 2009, now it's squire Atkinson Proton on IRC, telling the team also with young British star Tom Cave with a broad agenda of skills in the discipline in the SWRC and the IRC.
    Finally folder are also in the names of Francois Duval, Anton Alen and Matti Rantanen, who, with Heikki Kovalainen could have some way with the Proton Rally sometime in 2010.
    :
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 24 Times in 6 Posts
    better move to s2000 if cant pay,probably will get a cheaper car in SA say a vw polo for start.Conrads gone for a fiesta.
    :smokin: "position no good but very enjoy" japaneese driver at end of safari rally

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    excellent news

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    I wonder, why hasn't Proton hired Atkinson to drive in the IRC season? IMO he would have been the best choice for that.

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    I wonder, why hasn't Proton hired Atkinson to drive in the IRC season? IMO he would have been the best choice for that.
    They could still do so as they have not announced their second IRC driver yet.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Too bad about Atkinson, he was fast but still just to rough around the edges..