Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Prodrive

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland
    Read that they were in talks to get Mazda back into rally in 2011.
    I heard that Mazda project ended before it even started properly. Now it's BMW, probably their Mini brand. For BMW it would be quite reasonable to enter WRC since new rules are very similar to WTCC where they've been in already for several years. I heard that the project is quite far but no program is approved by BMW leadership.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've heard only a couple of engineers are working on the project after closed doors. They can't even say a word about it to their colleagues that aren't involved.
    Actually it's very quiet at Prodrive.
    K-NUTS.com: Your online pitstop for metric k nuts and UNF k nuts

Liked 340 Times in 171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Mirek Fric [Cze
    ]I heard that Mazda project ended before it even started properly. Now it's BMW, probably their Mini brand. For BMW it would be quite reasonable to enter WRC since new rules are very similar to WTCC where they've been in already for several years. I heard that the project is quite far but no program is approved by BMW leadership.

I agree with you and also, Mazda belongs to Ford group. Mazda 2 wrc and Ford Fiesta wrc copeting in the same class and championship, doesn't make sense from the beginning

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi
    Motorsport news said this week that it seems like the money is coming from Mini UK and not from parent company BMW. Hence the hope for a British driver.

All signs point to Mini from reports this week from the noises Prodrive are making.
    I find that quite interesting - almost as if BMW don't really want to be connected to the project.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 276 Times in 183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    I find that quite interesting - almost as if BMW don't really want to be connected to the project.
    How well was the BMW M3 E30 supported by BMW in the past, also ran by ProDrive?
    Post your own splits on the net: find RallyStopwatch on the Google Play Store.
    Follow posted splits on twitter with #RallySplits hashtag.

Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    They probably just dont want to foot the bill if at all possible. BMW seem to have a lot of projects they give their blessing to but don't give their full support to as a factory (Dakar, ALMS etc).

One benefit of this would be it gives Mini/Prodrive more freedom to go and get a UK driver for example and not having to refer every decision to Germany before they can get the green light. The question really is how good is the funding of this project? Are they looking to be world beaters or just hoping to get a car out there to sell to privateers and try to do some good business. I'd hope the answer is both.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 304 Times in 214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi
    Motorsport news said this week that it seems like the money is coming from Mini UK and not from parent company BMW. Hence the hope for a British driver.

OK...we risk to have another Opel situation then(Corsa S2000 being developped by privateer not factory, with the problems we know)

Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom206wrc
    OK...we risk to have another Opel situation then(Corsa S2000 being developped by privateer not factory, with the problems we know)
    With the greatest respect to the development team behind the Corsa. I don't think MSD are in the same league as Prodrive. Prodrive may as well be a factory effort in terms of their knowledge and experience. It is simply a question of budget IMO to determine how competitive they will be.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    As I understand it, Prodrive are looking at a commercial deal with Mazda UK to build and sell the next generation WRCs. The funding for any race programme will come from the sale of customer cars, and as David Richards says, they will have to sell in excess of 40 cars to make this viable.

This is by no means a done deal. Prodrive and Mazda UK require Mazda in Japan to approve the programme and this means Mazda in Japan having to give away certain commercial rights to Prodrive and Mazda UK.

Liked 67 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom206wrc
    You can look at X-Raid on Dakar and imagine the diferences between X-Raid / BMW and MSD / Opel.

These are diferent things, and a eventually Prodrive / Mini is closer to X-raid / BMW than a MSD / Opel.
    Three gears are enough!