Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prodrive

Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts

Prodrive

Do we know more on what partner Prodrive will choose for their WRC campaign?

MJW
    Nothing confirmed but jigsaw pieces are coming together to suggest Mini based on the following :-a) road car version of the rally car is a "new" car with the launch due at Geneva show. Mini Countryman an SUV variant is due for launch then. b) Prodrive sources suggest it will be driven by a British driver to keep the theme. Its quite well known that DR likes all things British, Range Rovers, Astons, and English countrylife, so having a Mini WRC car would give an ideal marketing perspective, reliving the Mini works days, especially when you consider Banbury is near Abingdon, and the whole Mini car set up is in the Oxford area of England. IF I was a betting man I would put a lot of money on it being a Mini.

Liked 341 Times in 189 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MJW
    Nothing confirmed but jigsaw pieces are coming together to suggest Mini based on the following :-a) road car version of the rally car is a "new" car with the launch due at Geneva show. Mini Countryman an SUV variant is due for launch then. b) Prodrive sources suggest it will be driven by a British driver to keep the theme. Its quite well known that DR likes all things British, Range Rovers, Astons, and English countrylife, so having a Mini WRC car would give an ideal marketing perspective, reliving the Mini works days, especially when you consider Banbury is near Abingdon, and the whole Mini car set up is in the Oxford area of England. IF I was a betting man I would put a lot of money on it being a Mini.
    A British driver? Who? There are only 2 capable at present and nobody else on the immediate horizon.
    Mini or a Japanese brand?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Latest I heard was that the deal is not done at all, and that it's all smoke and mirrors.

Prodrive are actively out shoppping themselves to other manufacturers for an S2000 / new WRC car programme.

MJW
    [quote="milly"]Latest I heard was that the deal is not done at all, and that it's all smoke and mirrors.
    QUOTE]

According to British motorsport press MN and Autosport this week, Prodrive say theyt will announce the name of the manufacturer in the of the next few weeks. With the prototype shells due to be delivered to Banbury soon and testing of the built car to commence in summer 2010. That suggests to me that things have moved on and we are just awaiting an announcement.

Liked 22 Times in 8 Posts
    From what I've heard, Prodrive have built all parts for the car, and are now just waiting for a bodyshell to install them into.
    Rally driver in the Norwegian Rally Championship.

Liked 1,368 Times in 711 Posts

Mazda

Read that they were in talks to get Mazda back into rally in 2011.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MJW
    Quote Originally Posted by milly
    Latest I heard was that the deal is not done at all, and that it's all smoke and mirrors.
    QUOTE]

According to British motorsport press MN and Autosport this week, Prodrive say theyt will announce the name of the manufacturer in the of the next few weeks. With the prototype shells due to be delivered to Banbury soon and testing of the built car to commence in summer 2010. That suggests to me that things have moved on and we are just awaiting an announcement.
    Maybe I should correct myself - they have a shell and development project, but it isn't a confirmed competition program. They've taken a punt on doing the development to try and get Mini to bite....

Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    Motorsport news said this week that it seems like the money is coming from Mini UK and not from parent company BMW. Hence the hope for a British driver.

All signs point to Mini from reports this week from the noises Prodrive are making.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 240 Times in 97 Posts
    I think they are building a Mini S2000 car...
    R.I.P Colin Mcrae - The hero for me... Twitter: @MickeLindh