Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Nascar to bring back spoiler?

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar...ory?id=4806058

"We are currently meeting with drivers and owners to discuss a number of options," Poston said. "Going back to the spoiler is one of them under serious consideration. We'll make an announcement in the coming weeks."
    Before the governing body makes a final decision, the spoiler and how it reacts with the new heavier car will be tested in the wind tunnel and on the track. If there are signs the spoiler will improve competition then the switch is likely to occur.
    I'm glad they are looking at it, but I am not sure it solves the driver's complaints with the car. The wing/spoiler is just one part of the total package.
    ¿Quién es el que anda aquí?

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    It will make someone happy, but I am not sure if there is a point to it or not beyond making it easier for the guy in behind to see the hand signals they use at Daytona or Talladega. The car will still want to lift if they get spinning backwards at 190mph...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    who me? :
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Spoilers make more dirty air than wings. What they need is a smaller wing.

Of course that's the last thing NASCAR wants to do because as the sole wing owner, the cost falls entirely on them.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Didn't the large end plates on the wing also help prevent cars from turning around? And please, before the flames, note the words "help prevent".

Several commentators and former drivers said cars going into a slide were stopped from turning completely around because of it. Has to be a good thing, and will be a dangerous loss if the wing is scrapped. Perhaps?

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colinspooky
    Didn't the large end plates on the wing also help prevent cars from turning around? And please, before the flames, note the words "help prevent".

Several commentators and former drivers said cars going into a slide were stopped from turning completely around because of it. Has to be a good thing, and will be a dangerous loss if the wing is scrapped. Perhaps?
    The wind tunnel knows, DW and others are speculating. The broad flat sides of the cars now have is probably as much if not more a factor than small end plates.

Turning around is going to happen in any event, what they want to stop is the taking off like a Frisbee in a windstorm. The roofflaps worked on the old car...not well enough on this car.....

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    The roofflaps worked on the old car...not well enough on this car.....
    I have suspected for some time that the roof flaps are actually a contributing factor to getting the car to lift when going backwards at high speed, they act in a similar way to flaps on a wing, creating localised areas of high pressure beneath the flap and low pressure above the flap, thus lifting the car.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philipbain
    I have suspected for some time that the roof flaps are actually a contributing factor to getting the car to lift when going backwards at high speed, they act in a similar way to flaps on a wing, creating localised areas of high pressure beneath the flap and low pressure above the flap, thus lifting the car.
    The windtunnel says otherwise Phillip. They pop up from the low pressure, they don't have any mechanical device making them come up. When the low pressure above the car is created by the car not going through the air with the right attitude, it pulls the flaps up which create the turbulence that destroys that lift.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the roof flaps will not always work rather there is a spoiler or a wing anyway, although the wing can create lift lift where as a spoiler doesn't, however on non-restrictor plate races the wing seems to prevent crashes by straighting the cars out when they get lose,

over all though, i the going back to the spoiler a good move, just becouse thats how stock cars have always looked
    2009 Truck Pick'em Champion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade91
    the roof flaps will not always work rather there is a spoiler or a wing anyway, although the wing can create lift lift where as a spoiler doesn't, however on non-restrictor plate races the wing seems to prevent crashes by straighting the cars out when they get lose,

over all though, i the going back to the spoiler a good move, just becouse thats how stock cars have always looked
    Where's the spoiler?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...CARracecar.jpg

Where's the spoiler?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Roadrunner.jpg

I'd use img codes, but those pictures are huge.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd