Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodeye
    Again, if you go and ask the BIG crowd who is John Buffum, I guess you would get a lot of guesses pointing to NBA and NFL maybe.
    Obviously, but I also said the US had it's own WRC event once, that's quite something.

I agree that the WRC should be the pinnacle. And maybe the best thing to do to promote something that doesn't exist in US is to have an embassador like Mr. Pastrana to bring it to spotlight first, then get a WRC event with same Mr participating (and with vide coverage) and voilá, you've brought WRC again to US.
    But that takes us back to the original problem (at least in my eyes), that is the way they are trying to promote it.

Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Josti
    Well, they do have some history, albeit of course little with drivers success (John Buffum did quite well with private cars now and then), and of course the US did hold a WRC event once.

But as far as rallying goes, shouldn't the WRC be the pinnacle? Why not focus to promote that?
    I think the WRC holds nothing really for an American sponsor. Doesn't seem to have much of a presence on television and also hasn't held a round there in 20 years or so. There are more profitable and attention grabbing means of promotion than the WRC.

I think this jump will probably be of a benefit to rallying in the States. It might make Red Bull or Subaru USA extend their contracts or something. It might mean they provide money for bigger ramps at the X-Games. As can be seen by the reaction on here it does literally nothing for the sport in Europe or the rest of the world. It helps make the US rallying bubble that bit bigger. Which is fine until someone tries to jump something so crazy that someone gets injured. A moving train perhaps? Or Ken Block tries to powerdrift underneath a jumbo jet as it takes off. I'm sure that would probably grab mainstream worldwide attention. Then it would be "rallying". But I'm exaggerating.

I think the problem people have is that this could feasibly bring in heaps of exposure and sponsors on the pretence that rallying is something that it is not. And these these stunts will only serve to mean that we will see more of this stuff. I personally think that is where the money will go. Not on rallying but on jumping over, into and on to of stuff. But when the energy drinks move onto their next extreme fad then you aren't left with much.

I have no problem with Travis Pastrana, the jump or anyone trying to push the boundaries. I just think it is naive to say it benefits the sport.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm available for marketing consulting if anyone in US is interested.
    sure, if you can stand on your head and whistle, the driving skill is not so important.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi
    I have no problem with Travis Pastrana, the jump or anyone trying to push the boundaries. I just think it is naive to say it benefits the sport.
    I think it's just as naive to say that this might harm the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi
    sure, if you can stand on your head and whistle, the driving skill is not so important.
    Unfortunately I can only whistle.
    Blessed are the woodheads since when the flood will arise they won't drown.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Again, if you go and ask the BIG crowd who is John Buffum, I guess you would get a lot of guesses pointing to NBA and NFL maybe.
    Maybe so, but he was a reasonable driver, best way to promote is to get a guy like Buffum was, calculated stunts takes you nowhere, i dont belive pastrana or bloke has what it takes, better to find a young guy with sponsors who throws all in the game.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    I think it's just as naive to say that this might harm the sport.
    I can't seem to find anything in my post about me saying it harms the sport.

I said it doesn't do anything for the sport outside of America. It does nothing as in it makes no impact what so ever. So not harming and not improving.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 353 Times in 209 Posts
    Wonder what the late Colin McRae would have done with Rallying in the USA.

Would have been good with Pastroni and Block.
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Wow, I'm a huge rally fan, but watching that video quite literaly took my breath away! Who cares that it's not proper rallying, it's one of the most dramatic and exciting things I've ever seen anyone do in a car.

Those of you who knock Travis need a bit if a wake up call. Thus guy is pure gold, and he's as rally mad as anyone. What he does now, a whole generation of kids around the world grow up wanting to do. The guy is a genuine superstar. At a time where we have probably the greatest driver who ever lived able to walk down most high streets of the world unrecognised, we need all the stars we can get.

I say embrace Travus and Ken, marvel at what they do and be thankful for all the publicity our sport receives because of them.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally_Rocks
    Wow, I'm a huge rally fan, but watching that video quite literaly took my breath away! Who cares that it's not proper rallying, it's one of the most dramatic and exciting things I've ever seen anyone do in a car.

Those of you who knock Travis need a bit if a wake up call. Thus guy is pure gold, and he's as rally mad as anyone. What he does now, a whole generation of kids around the world grow up wanting to do. The guy is a genuine superstar. At a time where we have probably the greatest driver who ever lived able to walk down most high streets of the world unrecognised, we need all the stars we can get.

I say embrace Travus and Ken, marvel at what they do and be thankful for all the publicity our sport receives because of them.
    No hard feelings, but i think you slightly exaggerate pastranas meaning what comes to rally, also maybe your world is a bit too small.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    in ref to Colin Mcrae, well he did take part in X games in 2006 wasnt it? .