Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper
    Well hasn´t he tried some PWRC events with no sucess. I guess he´s better on jumpin than driving on tricky special stages... :
    yes but its great publicity....isn;t this what it matters nowadays ?? our sport is dead so the only solution is more clowns to join it like Block Kimi pastrana to save it....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Josti
    It's best to just not take these things serious anymore.

Doug, I couldn't care less if a WRC make or driver does such a thing. It would rather get on my nerves.

I agree with Simmi, it benefits the sponsor (and Mr. Pastrana) more than it does the sport, which is weird actually, because this stunt has no relation to rallying other than the car.
    Too bad that you only get to see a two minute clip of the jump on the internet.

The show was 80 minutes long and had features on how the jump was constructed, the details of the rally car, background stories on Travis, rallying, etc. The words "rally" and "rallying" were being mentioned continuously.

This show was big time exposure for our sport, for Subaru, for Travis and, of course, for Red Bull. Now, I really don't care if it was not "real" rallying. It helps keep some important people, manufacturers and sponsors in the sport in the USA and it also helps others trying to find manufacturer and sponsor support.

Not sure how much Red Bull spent on organizing this event (the pre-event preparations and logistics are actually quite mind-boggling). Many, many millions. Perhaps close to what they spend to sponsor Citroen for a season.
    Doug Woods

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Did the jump hurt the sport of Rally in any way?
    Did the jump increase or decrease the public interest in Rally?

The answers are No and increased.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper
    Well hasn´t he tried some PWRC events with no sucess. I guess he´s better on jumpin than driving on tricky special stages... :
    Actually he did fairly well with a non-competitive team on roads he had never seen before.
    There were plans to bring him to the WRC with Subaru but they left the series Pastrana is still signed with Subaru North America so that precludes him from driving in another make.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Why the hell are some people taking this so dead seriously? No harm is done to anyone I guess. I was a great jump for sure, but no match to Markko Märtin in Neste Rally few years ago. (I'm sure someone will find a link to it)

As Doug said here, most of the people like myself have seen only 2 mins out of 80 mins. If the remaining 78 mins are used to even get some publicity to the sport, I think it's splended.
    Blessed are the woodheads since when the flood will arise they won't drown.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Okay, now try to do an 82meter jump on a Finland stage at 180kph+, then I'll be impressed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Woods
    Too bad that you only get to see a two minute clip of the jump on the internet.

The show was 80 minutes long and had features on how the jump was constructed, the details of the rally car, background stories on Travis, rallying, etc. The words "rally" and "rallying" were being mentioned continuously.

This show was big time exposure for our sport, for Subaru, for Travis and, of course, for Red Bull. Now, I really don't care if it was not "real" rallying. It helps keep some important people, manufacturers and sponsors in the sport in the USA and it also helps others trying to find manufacturer and sponsor support.

Not sure how much Red Bull spent on organizing this event (the pre-event preparations and logistics are actually quite mind-boggling). Many, many millions. Perhaps close to what they spend to sponsor Citroen for a season.
    Too bad indeed. But this is the only image I get here in Europe, so how much of a surprise is it really to get these kind of reactions on a rally forum?

I actually do care that it's not real rallying, at least, if that's what their trying to represent with this show. Seriously, how much does - a car jumping over a specially constructed ramp under big show lights to get some kind of record - holds any relation to the sport we know as rallying?

If Pastrana wants to trie to put rallying on the map in the USA, why doesn't he take his Red Bull millions to contest in the WRC?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If Pastrana wants to trie to put rallying on the map in the USA, why doesn't he take his Red Bull millions to contest in the WRC?
    Because the BIG crowd over there have no idea what WRC is, maybe? It's all about the show in US, they have no history in WRC whatsoever, and maybe with tricks like these they will have something in the future? I don't know, but if Pastrana gives it a try, why not?

Or then it might be that he is just having fun.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodeye
    Because the BIG crowd over there have no idea what WRC is, maybe? It's all about the show in US, they have no history in WRC whatsoever, and maybe with tricks like these they will have something in the future? I don't know, but if Pastrana gives it a try, why not?

Or then it might be that he is just having fun.
    Well, they do have some history, albeit of course little with drivers success (John Buffum did quite well with private cars now and then), and of course the US did hold a WRC event once.

But as far as rallying goes, shouldn't the WRC be the pinnacle? Why not focus to promote that?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well, they do have some history, albeit of course little with drivers success (John Buffum did quite well with private cars now and then), and of course the US did hold a WRC event once.

But as far as rallying goes, shouldn't the WRC be the pinnacle? Why not focus to promote that?
    Again, if you go and ask the BIG crowd who is John Buffum, I guess you would get a lot of guesses pointing to NBA and NFL maybe.

I agree that the WRC should be the pinnacle. And maybe the best thing to do to promote something that doesn't exist in US is to have an embassador like Mr. Pastrana to bring it to spotlight first, then get a WRC event with same Mr participating (and with vide coverage) and voilá, you've brought WRC again to US.

I'm available for marketing consulting if anyone in US is interested.