Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 352 Times in 208 Posts

Exclamation Pastrana does it again

If anyone is interested in his insane antics. And sure why not, bring on the arguments here too

http://www.redbullusa.com/cs/Satelli...=1242797773354

(you can move this thread else where if needed)
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I saw this in the local news (a feat in itself) and why I applaud his success in getting the record, I must voice my distaste for his stupidity.
    I mean, all well and good to go for a jump... in a rally car... over a river... BUT, to have such little run off that he is then forced to crash the car sideways in order to stop - not great publicity.
    Now you will have all the young wanna-be Ken Blocks not only tearing up unused carparks/vacant lots/airfields but also thinking they can perform huge jumps with little stopping area and expect to survive.

Just my opinion.

Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    I think the problem with the landing was that the run-off surface just wasn't suitable. Cool jump though great spectacle etc.

I don't think this really does anything for rallying - good or bad. I think the whole thing is about a car doing the jump and a rally car is just the best tool for the job. The exposure doesn't affect the sport IMO.

I don't have a problem with it but if I see works teams or drivers start getting involved then I will start to worry.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grugsticles
    I saw this in the local news (a feat in itself) and why I applaud his success in getting the record, I must voice my distaste for his stupidity.
    I mean, all well and good to go for a jump... in a rally car... over a river... BUT, to have such little run off that he is then forced to crash the car sideways in order to stop - not great publicity.
    Now you will have all the young wanna-be Ken Blocks not only tearing up unused carparks/vacant lots/airfields but also thinking they can perform huge jumps with little stopping area and expect to survive.

Just my opinion.
    Yea, Young people never do stupid things.

Of course it is good publicity. If it brings even one more fan then it is good publicity.
    It is Good publicity for: Red Bull. Travis Pastrana, Subaru, Rally America and rally in general.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So, for all of you who have made negative posts on the jump (and for those of you who will), consider this.

Say, early in 2009, Red Bull has approached Citroen with this silly idea. On New Year's Eve, at the stroke of midnight, they want to have Seb Loeb jump his Citroen rally car across the Seine in the middle of Paris. It will be broadcast live on French national television for 1 hour and 20 minutes and they hope to pack downtown Paris with spectators. And, since they are doing it, why not try for a world record rally car jump?

What do you think Citroen and Loeb would have done?

How would all of you have reacted (while you were watching on TV) when they pulled it off like clockwork.

I think I know the answer.

Funny how it is bad for rallying when it is Pastrana and Subaru who have the guts to step up and do something like this.
    Doug Woods

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    great publicity....bring him to wrc now...

Liked 2,834 Times in 1,608 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T
    great publicity....bring him to wrc now...
    Well hasn´t he tried some PWRC events with no sucess. I guess he´s better on jumpin than driving on tricky special stages... :
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Woods
    So, for all of you who have made negative posts on the jump (and for those of you who will), consider this.

Say, early in 2009, Red Bull has approached Citroen with this silly idea. On New Year's Eve, at the stroke of midnight, they want to have Seb Loeb jump his Citroen rally car across the Seine in the middle of Paris. It will be broadcast live on French national television for 1 hour and 20 minutes and they hope to pack downtown Paris with spectators. And, since they are doing it, why not try for a world record rally car jump?

What do you think Citroen and Loeb would have done?

How would all of you have reacted (while you were watching on TV) when they pulled it off like clockwork.

I think I know the answer.

Funny how it is bad for rallying when it is Pastrana and Subaru who have the guts to step up and do something like this.
    Well when the six-time world champ is being asked to risk life and limb for a sponsor opportunity then that is something else. I imagine Citroen wouldn't go for it. I imagine Loeb would treat the idea with complete distain. I try to keep an open mind about this stuff but I still always seem to end up sounding negative. That's purely because I feel this stuff tends to benefit the sponsor more than the sport. The only thing the casual fan sees is Red Bull.

If you want to do something commercial to benefit the sport then ISC could organise a demonstration in a busy city centre and show the cars off in a way that the public can get close to. Formula 1 teams do this. The DTM and BTCC series also arrange similar things. It gives people who wouldn't normally get an opportunity the chance to see the speed and sound of the cars.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's best to just not take these things serious anymore.

Doug, I couldn't care less if a WRC make or driver does such a thing. It would rather get on my nerves.

I agree with Simmi, it benefits the sponsor (and Mr. Pastrana) more than it does the sport, which is weird actually, because this stunt has no relation to rallying other than the car.