Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Winter tyres? Pah, bit of a boot, touch of oversteer and I'm smiling........until I hit something
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    I certainly agree with you that better driver training is needed BUT better driver training can't fight the laws of physics. It's proven that winter tyres give better grip below 7 degrees c regardless of whether there's snow around and if it's wet the difference is even greater. If your tyres haven't got any grip it doesn't matter how much skill you've got, you aint going nowhere. I certainly don't want it to sound like winter tyres will keep everyone 100% safe and as always it goes hand in hand with sensible and skillful driving but the benefits are proven.
    Indeed. As with everything though its a balance. It too many instances drivers mistakenly believe that driver aids (be that ABS, TC, or super stick tires) are driver replacements. As you say you can't change the laws of physics but too many think ABS or whatever will save them.
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic
    Indeed. As with everything though its a balance. It too many instances drivers mistakenly believe that driver aids (be that ABS, TC, or super stick tires) are driver replacements. As you say you can't change the laws of physics but too many think ABS or whatever will save them.
    Couldn't agree more. It's always been my opinion that things like having a 5 star NCAP rating, ABS, EBD, ASR/TC and ESP make people a bit lazy about driving. I suspect there were some people this morning who felt that traction control, ASR/TC and if they had it 4wd would keep them on the road.

What do you think of some suggestions that people should have to be tested on their driving regularly rather than just once as it is now?
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I´m for the winter tyres.

Agreed that the driver is/should be in control of the vehicle and better driving skills help, but that´s taken in the context that everyone is driving around like a loon. http://www.motorsportforums.com/foru.../roll_eyes.gif

If you live in an area that has a few hills or even a sloped driveway you will find that winter tyres make a huge difference if there is snow lying.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I guess they don't sell an All season tire in the UK? They are a tire that isn't a great summer performer, but ok, and in winter they can be ok, not great in snow. I live in a winter climate, but find with traffic being what it is when it snows, I don't get up to any high rate of speed anyhow, and have gotten by with All Seasons. I SHOULD have Winter tires if I did any commuting, but most of my work week the car isn't going anywhere, it is sitting. Also, in Southern Ontario where I am, the snow removal and salt trucks have the roads to bare pavement in about 12 hours after a snow on all major routes.

IN the UK, I would think you would wear out winter tires on the pavement for the amount of snow you get, but since I am not there, I cannot comment. I just know in Quebec, it is law to have Winter tires...and I suspect it will be law here too. Because god knows some people cannot drive on dry pavement, but somehow passing laws that fit everyone will allow the pol's to think they have done all they can. I have been driving 25 years, and I have never left the road in the winter. Got stuck a few times yes...but that was in drives or parking lots. So take it from someone who LIVES in a winter clime, winter tires are a great asset, but for one or two snows a year; I would get by with an all season tire if it was available.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Considering the number of morons who claim to be snowed in by two inches of weather - yes!

I've got good tyres on my Range Rover. It simply doesn't slide an inch, even when I tried this morning on an empty car park. Yet somehow half of the street I live on is claiming they dare not drive at all
    Pathetic.
    "The Jaguar's going cheap"
    "Shouldn't it be purring?" :confused:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    I guess they don't sell an All season tire in the UK? They are a tire that isn't a great summer performer, but ok, and in winter they can be ok, not great in snow. I live in a winter climate, but find with traffic being what it is when it snows, I don't get up to any high rate of speed anyhow, and have gotten by with All Seasons. I SHOULD have Winter tires if I did any commuting, but most of my work week the car isn't going anywhere, it is sitting. Also, in Southern Ontario where I am, the snow removal and salt trucks have the roads to bare pavement in about 12 hours after a snow on all major routes.

IN the UK, I would think you would wear out winter tires on the pavement for the amount of snow you get, but since I am not there, I cannot comment. I just know in Quebec, it is law to have Winter tires...and I suspect it will be law here too. Because god knows some people cannot drive on dry pavement, but somehow passing laws that fit everyone will allow the pol's to think they have done all they can. I have been driving 25 years, and I have never left the road in the winter. Got stuck a few times yes...but that was in drives or parking lots. So take it from someone who LIVES in a winter clime, winter tires are a great asset, but for one or two snows a year; I would get by with an all season tire if it was available.
    When i passed my driving test over here that was one thing i failed on during multiple choice.. pavement in UK means "Sidewalk"

The question i had was something like "what do you do if you have 2 wheels on the pavement"? Get them off there and back on the road! Epic fail LOL

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Couldn't agree more. It's always been my opinion that things like having a 5 star NCAP rating, ABS, EBD, ASR/TC and ESP make people a bit lazy about driving. I suspect there were some people this morning who felt that traction control, ASR/TC and if they had it 4wd would keep them on the road.

What do you think of some suggestions that people should have to be tested on their driving regularly rather than just once as it is now?
    Hmmm. The question of re-testing/assessment is tricky. There would of course be benefits but the logistics would be very difficult to manage. As it is there is between a 6 and 10 week wait for a driving test as it is, add in 1 million re-tests a year and the system is jammed.
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa

They do sell All Season tyres here in the UK but the vast majority of tyres sold are summer tyres. If people were buying All Season tyres I could certainly understand not buying winter tyres but like I said most people have summer tyres and when it gets snowy they're as near as useless.

I suspect Hazell has probably got All Seasons on her Range Rover hence her smugness

Tbh if I was there I wouldn't bother taking my 500 on the road because the tyres it's got on it are very much geared towards summer driving which was why I bought some steelies to put some winter tyres on when I can afford it!
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I suspect Hazell has probably got All Seasons on her Range Rover hence her smugness
    No just All Seasons, but All Terrain.
    £250.00 the lot, plus VAT.

It's who you know
    "The Jaguar's going cheap"
    "Shouldn't it be purring?" :confused: