Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    For me only the world champions are eligible. So I base it on wins and how well the title is won making the best of what is at your disposal and the environment of the day.

1. Schumacher
    2. Alonso
    3. Button - because he won the title by a higher or equal percentage of wins and maintaining his point difference at a significant level and won it simply better than the next two.
    4. Hamilton
    5. Raikonnen
    Jense - Mclaren MP4-25 :D
    MonzaOne :D

Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    For me the 2007 and 2008 seasons were the most exciting of the last decade. Hamilton fought with drivers like Massa and Raikkonen who had comparable machinery and skill for an entire season and was not lucky enough to have half a season with a vastly superior car. Jenson was a deserving champion, and he hung in there for the ultimate result. Hung in there quite literally as he produced several dissappointing drives, before stepping up to the critics and getting the job done in Brazil.

MS has to be the driver of the decade for obvious reasons, but the season for me was 2008. It had scandal, inexperienced stewards making decisions and a last lap decider, and thats what made F1 special for me in the last ten years.
    Then you measure things on an emotive level and we will only coincidentally agree.

You have to take each season on its own and Button's second half of the season in 2009 will only be understood by those with interest in the technical side of what has progressively over the past few years become a very technical sport for fans as opposed to what it has been for many decades past.

Suzuka springs to mind. For that race, only Jenson's car was fitted with the latest car nose update - that did not work well - he used it in qualifying and the race because refitting the older one that was on Barrichello's car was not feasible.

And as we now know, Brawn WAS struggling financially and had to husband resources.

Barrichello outqualified Jenson as a result but Jense finished 8th and Ruben's 7th - but the Brit had to drive his heart out at a track that he does not find difficult and suits his style and where he qualifies well.

So criticize him as you do but at least try and grab for some honesty by investigating what was a very difficult second half od the season yet where Jenson drove exceptionally and won the championship.

The late James Hunt used to say that anyone can win when things are going well, but it is only the champions that will succeed when things are not going well. Jenson is a prime example of that.

You think Schumi's greatest years were in the 2noughties? No. His greatest championship triumph was when he drove the 199o's Benetton and won or the 1996 year when he performed at a level that nobody else would have achieved in that car.

But as Ihave said - you and I look at things totally opposite to each other.

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
    My driver of the decade would be Massa'as for wanting to return to F1 after a horrific accident that almost made him a cyclops.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by race_director
    neither do i care or bother about the driver of the decade. but i deserve the FAN OF THE DECADE TITLE, for watching every f1 race, inspite of all the stupid rule changes bernie has imposed to make the sport a joke.

Hope things are different next year
    I agree with you In my case, the rule changes were too much, and I couldn't take it
    You can't make a person love another person. You can only pray for it.

Stupid rules => stupid consequences :s

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinho
    right, think i've answered my own question,

Jack Brabham won races spanning 3 decades, 1st win 1959, last in 1970, no others have managed that feat.

no drivers have ever won titles spanning 3 decades - that might be a bet worth putting on.
    if you were to count major races, regardless of series, then andretti would be at over 4 decades of winning.
    He did take pole position in 1968 in f1 and then at then the end of 1982, many years after every driver in the field of 1968 had retired or died/killed, some14 yeears later, he took pole again at Monza

And he is the only driver to have successfully and competitively driven and won with the non-winged cars at indy, the mini winged f1 cars, and the later ground effect cars........

but as to the years 2000 to the end of 2009, MS is beyond compare, and that he is, love him or hate him, or give all the credit to the car.....no one has that record. And he would be the driver of the 1990's as well......................
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer:

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 52Paddy
    I'd go with Hamilton on this one. Driver of the decade for me
    Thanks for digging this up. Drunken comment above
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    So do you think Schumi is driver of the decade or what?
    I presented my list in my post.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tinchote
    I agree with you In my case, the rule changes were too much, and I couldn't take it
    Luckily for us MS' return brought you back.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro