Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 101 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomi
    agree tyre regulations should not effect private entrys.
    I always thought this as well. Let one tyre manufacturer supply the title contenders, to put them on a level playing field, but all privateers to run whatever they want. It would be a great way to encourage more sponsorship money into the sport.

At Rally NZ '08, all the leading contenders for the NZRC (which Rally NZ was a round of), had to forfeit their sponsored (and probably free) tyres, namely Michelin, Dunlop, Yokohama, Hankook & MRF, for the Pirelli control. This just doesn't make sense to me.
    Where's the advantage for anyone in that?

Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maui J.
    I always thought this as well. Let one tyre manufacturer supply the title contenders, to put them on a level playing field, but all privateers to run whatever they want. It would be a great way to encourage more sponsorship money into the sport.

At Rally NZ '08, all the leading contenders for the NZRC (which Rally NZ was a round of), had to forfeit their sponsored (and probably free) tyres, namely Michelin, Dunlop, Yokohama, Hankook & MRF, for the Pirelli control. This just doesn't make sense to me.
    Where's the advantage for anyone in that?
    100% agree with this in principle. Only problem would be how do you define a privateer. Because certain drivers with preferable tyres/compounds could do some damage on the leaderboard.

But it is something that should be looked at.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi
    100% agree with this in principle. Only problem would be how do you define a privateer. Because certain drivers with preferable tyres/compounds could do some damage on the leaderboard.

But it is something that should be looked at.
    Privateer is all teams that is not a factory team.
    So for 2010 that means 4 drivers that has to use the control tyres, the rest are free to choose.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland
    So for 2010 that means 4 drivers that has to use the control tyres, the rest are free to choose.
    I think that is a good idea. Junior teams will never get the same machinary or same testing but if they are free to choose their tyre, they may get advantage over the full works team.
    Waiting for Subaru to come back to be :champion:

Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland
    So for example if Marcus enters a few rounds next year then the tyres could easily be the deciding factor to give him the wins. Especially with the works teams being made to run on less than ideal compounds. It is almost like penalising teams for signing up to the WRC and a bit of a mockery - which is not what the FIA is trying to do. There would have to be certain restrictions for privateers too.

I'd be in favour of just opening up the tyre situation for everyone. Maybe create a necessary type of compound for WRC or for certain events. So basically Bf or Hankook would need to make a similar tyre to what Pirelli has been using.

Or ideally I'd prefer it to go back to the old rules but to just limit the sheer amount of tyre options and development costs. Allow cutting and let teams/drivers make their own tyre deals. That allows sponsorship revenue and also the art of tyre choice returns to spice things up. That's two more variables to improve the spectacle.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 1,779 Times in 421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi
    So for example if Marcus enters a few rounds next year then the tyres could easily be the deciding factor to give him the wins. Especially with the works teams being made to run on less than ideal compounds. It is almost like penalising teams for signing up to the WRC and a bit of a mockery - which is not what the FIA is trying to do. There would have to be certain restrictions for privateers too.

I'd be in favour of just opening up the tyre situation for everyone. Maybe create a necessary type of compound for WRC or for certain events. So basically Bf or Hankook would need to make a similar tyre to what Pirelli has been using.

Or ideally I'd prefer it to go back to the old rules but to just limit the sheer amount of tyre options and development costs. Allow cutting and let teams/drivers make their own tyre deals. That allows sponsorship revenue and also the art of tyre choice returns to spice things up. That's two more variables to improve the spectacle.
    The problem was and is the costs of tyre testing. The cost and time they used for tyre testing was significant. If you want to add different tyre companies then it is very hard to control the amount of testing they are doing to develop their tyres. That is one hell of expensive action that is almost impossible to control.
    So, I am in favor to current system in WRC. However they should delete that rule for GrN and JWRC, because those cars just cannot stand those impacts created by such a stony tyres and that might additionally decrease the level between WRC cars and cheaper cars. That allows more younger and less experienced drivers to drive with less sophisticated and cheaper cars and allows tyre companies to support them until factory teams notice them and hire them.
    However, at the same time it is problem for the tyre partner because their proffit will be smaller and makes it difficult to run such series like Pirelli Star Driver program.
    And lower grip with the tyres is good and most important thing for spectators. You can watch F1 if you want to see cars passing by or the trains in trainstation. So, better and developed tyres significantly decrease the show and is not good thing.
    So, it is definitely rope with two ends.
    Colins Crest = Möldri Mätas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluuford
    So, I am in favor to current system in WRC. However they should delete that rule for GrN and JWRC, because those cars just cannot stand those impacts created by such a stony tyres and that might additionally decrease the level between WRC cars and cheaper cars.
    This is all true, but also the WRC cars did have serious problems with the control tyres, atleast at the beginning instead of tyres they broke huge amount of rimms.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    As Michelin group, also Pirelli is complaining the no-development in motorsports of new technologies (new compounds, materials, particular rubbers, etc), so I'm thinking that Hankook will have the best chance to be the 2011-2013 WRC supplier. They needs an important championship to show the brand to the world.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    I know the FIA want to cut costs, but the Premier category shouldn't have a control tyre. Control tyres are for the junior formulae, not the Premier. Why no have a spec series car. Having different tyres brings unpredictability on different surfaces, etc
    IRC, ALMS/LMS don't have spec tyres, and are better for it.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    I know the FIA want to cut costs, but the Premier category shouldn't have a control tyre. Control tyres are for the junior formulae, not the Premier. Why no have a spec series car. Having different tyres brings unpredictability on different surfaces, etc
    IRC, ALMS/LMS don't have spec tyres, and are better for it.
    At the moment the way I see it is the WRC need to break off from the FIA like F1 threatened to do. The FIA seem to be changing rules and holding the sport back for no reason that I can see. And sure they may want to cut costs but if the teams want to spend huge sums of money, then why not let them? The fia has gotten out of touch with what fans and drivers want from this sport. /rant over
    Colin Steele McRae ...5 August 1968 - 15 September 2007...