Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

The Rise of Felipe Massa

In a quiet moment the other day I got to thinking about the sudden turn around in young Massa's career. He's gone from that Brazillian guy who wrecks Saubers to Ferrari's potential next world champion in the space of 12 months.

Just about everybody, both on this forum and in the press, is including Massa in the fight with Alonso and Raikkonen for the WDC. Now I know Massa won his first races last year and had some very good drives where he beat Schumi but so did Barrichello and nobody ever talked about Barrichello as a contender for the WDC.

I mean, 12 months ago everybody, and that includes myself, were questioning Ferrari's decision to give the guy a drive and were saying things like 'he's only a one year stop-gap' etc. The consensus was basically that Jean Todt was insane and was only giving Massa the drive because he wanted to do his son a favour.

At the end of last season there was talk of Massa having the edge over Raikkonen in the early stages of the season but the Finn would destroy the Brazilian once he got to grips with the team and car. Now, Kimi's going to have to beat Alonso and Massa to win the title.

I don't get it. Massa had a good season in a car that was as fast, if not faster, than any on the grid. He won his maiden race but he also made plenty of mistakes. Remember Bahrain and Monaco?

So tell me. What makes people think that Massa has what it takes to beat a defending double world champion and arguably the fastest guy on the grid?
    Forza Ferrari!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Felipe Massa really matured and became a much better and reliable driver in the 2nd half of last season. I don't think h'll become world champion next season as I think he still has a lot to learn, but in 2008 if he's still with Ferrari then I think he will become WDC no problem.

The thing that is nagging me is that how often has a driver gone from being a crash-aholic to a potential world champion in a single season? Some drivers enter F1 and are marked from day one as champion material. Schumacher, Alonso, Raikkonen, Senna and even Jean Alesi. Some get there, some don't. Massa has never really shown anything that makes you think of him in those terms.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see him win it as I don't care which Ferrari driver wins the title as long as one of them does. I think you might be right about 2008 but I just can't see it for this year. It's too soon and we have no idea how he will handle the pressure of a title fight as he's never been there. Alonso and Raikkonen have. Advantage them.
    Forza Ferrari!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    In a quiet moment the other day I got to thinking about the sudden turn around in young Massa's career. He's gone from that Brazillian guy who wrecks Saubers to Ferrari's potential next world champion in the space of 12 months.
    Hmmmm, And during my quiet moments, I ussually try not to think about Massa. :

Just about everybody, both on this forum and in the press, is including Massa in the fight with Alonso and Raikkonen for the WDC. Now I know Massa won his first races last year and had some very good drives where he beat Schumi but so did Barrichello and nobody ever talked about Barrichello as a contender for the WDC.
    Barrichello was never considered a WDC contender because when he was in a fast car, He had Schumcher as a team mate.

I mean, 12 months ago everybody, and that includes myself, were questioning Ferrari's decision to give the guy a drive and were saying things like 'he's only a one year stop-gap' etc. The consensus was basically that Jean Todt was insane and was only giving Massa the drive because he wanted to do his son a favour.
    Everybody? Massa has pretty much always had a Ferrari behind him, being choosen to replace Rubens was no suprise to me.

At the end of last season there was talk of Massa having the edge over Raikkonen in the early stages of the season but the Finn would destroy the Brazilian once he got to grips with the team and car. Now, Kimi's going to have to beat Alonso and Massa to win the title.
    More and more people are suggesting that Kimi's reliability issues at McLeran where of his own making. You also have people like JV questioning his work ethics, So as long as Ferrari can develop a title contender that Massa wouldn't be fighting for the championship. Even more likely if he can get the upper hand on Kimi early in the season.

I don't get it. Massa had a good season in a car that was as fast, if not faster, than any on the grid. He won his maiden race but he also made plenty of mistakes. Remember Bahrain and Monaco?
    Schumacher proved last year that even a 7 time champion is capable of making mistakes in a race.

So tell me. What makes people think that Massa has what it takes to beat a defending double world champion and arguably the fastest guy on the grid?
    Simply put, this is F1 and if Massa wins the championship over Alonso, it will probably be because A) Ferrari had a supirior car over McLeran, and Kimi didn't perform up to expectations. and B) Even with Alonso the McLeran cars are to unreliable to challenge for championships.

But I would also like to add, You could have thrown almost anyone into that second Ferrari, and they would likely be considered a potential champion for 07 for the basic that they will not by racing against MIchael.
    The Preceding post may have contained nudity, sexuality, violence, coarse language and Jacques
    Villeneuve and is intended for a mature audience, parental guidance is advised.
    So you wanna know what the PS Stands for.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the problem now is that drivers are brought in too quick thats why now they need to really have a team behind them to allow them to make many mistakes while they learn.

ferrari invested in massa 2002 2003 2004 and 2005 until he came good in 2006.
    see what happens when schumacher doesnt get number 1 status and a lapdog as a teammate?

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    how old is massa
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i would LOVE (LLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEE) to see Massa outshine Kimi "Stripper Jerk" Raikonnen
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    i told my friend, Massa has better gesture than Michael on an advertisement of Bridgestone and i like it

Quote Originally Posted by fousto
    how old is massa
    He was born on 25/04/1981 so he is almost 26. He's actually 18 months younger than Raikkonen who was born in October 1979.
    Forza Ferrari!!

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    Thats what I thought - He is just coming into prime time so we will see how he does.. There is a lot more to winning a championship than just raw speed.
    Alonso was a exception to the rule I think.
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"