Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts

WRC goes S1600T, what now for IRC?

From 2011 onwards, manufacturers will not be able to homologate "traditional" S2000 cars but only "S1600Ts".

So which route will IRC go? Stick with the old formula, move to the new one or change to a different one altogether (R3T?)

Liked 304 Times in 214 Posts
    Interesting question and thread...

Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts
    I suppose this is the crossroads now. In that car manufacturers can decide which route the want to take for relatively similar budgets and pick between the WRC or IRC. You would figure the WRC holds the most commercial value. I'm sure through logistics and development it will be more expensive. But it is much more of a coherent championship than the IRC with all rounds counting towards points etc.

But if the IRC wants these new cars (Citroen/Prodrive project) they will need to open up their regs. It might be a case of evolve or die...
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

MJW
    Rather simplistically and naiievely I would say that no manufacturer actually has a 1.6T - Citroen (and I guess Prodrive Mini) will have one, but as it stands IF IRC stick their ground to S2000 it could leave WRC with only Citroen DS3 1.6T. Therefor if no other manufacturer other Citroen produces a 1.6T the WRC dies........

Liked 103 Times in 39 Posts
    Can someone clarify for me as I don't understand...at all.

S2000 is dying for 2011, meaning ALL cars will be 1600T, correct? As an amateur like myself, surely S2000 is better than 1600T as it is a higher number? Or does the Turbo make that big a diference? What will the order be of cars in 2011? 1600T then S2000 then WRC then GpN is it?

Also, the new S2000 Cup in 2010 will involve what? And how does the S-WRC fit into all this as well as the Super 2000 Cup for Teams?

I'm so darn confused. It's been a long week...

Liked 103 Times in 39 Posts
    Sorry, I get the S-WRC is for drivers, while the other one is for teams. Bit slow on my front!

Liked 106 Times in 60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MJW
    Rather simplistically and naiievely I would say that no manufacturer actually has a 1.6T - Citroen (and I guess Prodrive Mini) will have one, but as it stands IF IRC stick their ground to S2000 it could leave WRC with only Citroen DS3 1.6T. Therefor if no other manufacturer other Citroen produces a 1.6T the WRC dies........
    Loads of manufactuers are creating small, turbo powered engines for their cars, its the future. They have reduced emisions and better MPG while keeping the same amount of power.

VW have already got a very good 1.6 GT engine while ford are very advanced with the development of their own

MJW
    Quote Originally Posted by Allyc85
    Loads of manufactuers are creating small, turbo powered engines for their cars, its the future. They have reduced emisions and better MPG while keeping the same amount of power.

VW have already got a very good 1.6 GT engine while ford are very advanced with the development of their own
    I meant rally engine - sure small capacity petrol (turbo) engines are defiantely the way forward. The 2 litre engine is for the history books. My concern was / is which manufacturers WILL join WRC? It should be OK if VW drop the 1.6T engine in a Skoda, or any VW brand, Mini, Citroen, and even Ford too.

Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts
    And I suppose even if the manu's did opt against the 1.6T the FIA just remove the homologation ruling. In which case the whole thing could have been implemented with ease 3 years earlier!

But I hope the teams will embrace 1.6T and all move in a collective single direction. In the short-term the FIA did the best thing by not penalising the existing manufacturers. Get them all competing in the WRC and then start fiddling about to improve the regs.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    VAG don't have a 1.6T, but they have 1.4T they could bore out or 1.8T they could sleeve down.

The issue here is that from 2011 manufacturers cannot homologate new 2 litre S2000s so IRC will have to change formula or use only old cars.