Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Role of Moderators

Today I have received a threat of expulsion by the moderator known as Starter for the use of profanity on a post. I did not use profane language. It may be implied but not used.

This individual, when asked has not been willing to supply the post with the profanity , but, has had the audaciousness to actually call me a jerk for using the the exact language that he implies I am using. But he has done so by using the word itself.

I have taken it upon myself to rep rt to all of the powers that be that run these forums and ask for either the removal of this "judge , jury and executioner or I will do so myself. By the way, there were other exchanges.

Since this is a racing Forum and an Indy Car focus I feel that there is latitude that should be given by those that post and have been around since Seventh Gear and Paper.

What words do you members who have been around for years believe should be banned and is en*ui a word?
    Derek Daly is da man!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Gluaistean, I don't feel this is where you should be discussing this. Others may disagree, but this is something that should be discussed with the other moderators and Starter himself.

There is a different tone you can use in private messages then in forum posts. That's why they are private.

I understand what your saying, but this is not the place to do so, in my opinion.
    The Other Side - "2011 Silly Season Update" Dec 17/2010
    Bookmark Us!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yeah, I also got some weird penalty awhile back for a curse word that IMO was pretty inoffensive. This isn't Church here. But I agree w Chamoo, u should do this through private message not on the forum.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Replacing one of the characters of a word with a star does not make it okay. Even replacing all of them with stars doesn't either.

Sure threatening a ban for using bad language may be overstating things, but looking at the post it was correct that you were given a warning.

And no, we don't have a policy of giving more slack to people who have been around the longest.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Replacing one of the characters of a word with a star does not make it okay. Even replacing all of them with stars doesn't either.
    But who is to say what the word might be? I only ask because I've just posted such an asterisked word, and feel that censuring someone for doing likewise is way over the top. There are far more offensive things posted on these forums without a swear word in them.

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    A point that perhaps doesn't get made enough is that it does say, on the main page, "keep it clean, this is a family forum".

Incidentally, I reckon the words ****, **** and ****** are OK, but **** and ***** are definitely a load of ****
    https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/stugrovesf1.wordpress.com

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluaistean
    Today I have received a threat of expulsion by the moderator known as Starter for the use of profanity on a post. I did not use profane language. It may be implied but not used.

This individual, when asked has not been willing to supply the post with the profanity , but, has had the audaciousness to actually call me a jerk for using the the exact language that he implies I am using. But he has done so by using the word itself.

I have taken it upon myself to rep rt to all of the powers that be that run these forums and ask for either the removal of this "judge , jury and executioner or I will do so myself. By the way, there were other exchanges.

?
    No surprizes there!!!Just business as usual with him and he will stick around as Mark can not find anyone else to do that particular mod job

http://www.motorsportforums.com/foru...d.php?t=134434
    even funnier was how he would close the thread but then he would post something on that thread.....oh well there is only one reason to stick around here and that reason exists despite this particular mod

one would think when trying to calm things down, one would not be committing the same or usually far worse sins and engaging in name calling...but nooooooooooooo, he is a mod, so that is okay Power corrupts as with the good Henry the 8th...got to get their jollies someway...

Remeber it is "do as I say, not as I do"....got to go, already wasted enough of my life on this particular mod.....(BTW, for what it is worth, I still got no issues with Pino.. .)
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer:

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluaistean
    You should not expect anything else from that particular "moderator"
    "signature room for rent"

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Well speaking as someone who has been on the IRL/CART boards for the worst part of the "war" and has to this day only had one time out from Starter, let me say this: He has a strict sense of what is the proper language on his forum, and he has a strict line in the sand about personal attacks. In all the years I have been on here and the umpteen thousand posts I have made in some really heated arguments, I only ran afoul of him ONCE, and I deserved it. So if you think your language and arguments are being infrigned upon, you are clearly wrong.

I stand behind the job he has done, and while there are people I think who he has warned maybe didn't deserve it, I will agree he likely has to err on the side of caution because anyone who lived through the Tony George Bashfest of the last 4 or 5 years knows how fast things can get out of hand.

Jag is right...the herd would be a lot thinner with some of us non-moddies running the show...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    But who is to say what the word might be? I only ask because I've just posted such an asterisked word, and feel that censuring someone for doing likewise is way over the top. There are far more offensive things posted on these forums without a swear word in them.
    I think a lot of it has to do with the intent if I was to reply to Ben and you and say "You're a ****ing idiot" then that's out of order but if Ben posted a story about something which made my blood boil and I said "That's a ****ing outrage" then I don't see the problem.

Swearing is part of everyday life, it's a great way of showing how annoyed you are with someone, it's a fantastic way of showing dismay etc etc I mean how many of you say "Oh I say, that motorist is a rather inconsiderate chappie" when you get cut up on the road? No! You say "****ing idiot!!!!" or something to that effect.

I agree that there should be swear filters and that people shouldn't bypass them because there are younger people on the forum and their parents should be able to allow their children to come on here and not be seeing swear words but let's not just castrate the English language by removing a group of words which are very useful for someone trying to express themselves.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.