Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickFalzone
    I saw some pics of the proposed layout. Looks like it could be a very fast circuit with 2 or 3 good corners for passing. Not sure about the roads though, from some of the pics it looks like it could be pretty bumpy. I kind of wonder how teams prep for a course that they've never been on before.

Four 90 degree corners and one 180?

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I am not impressed. Sorry guys, another street circuit in a country loaded with road courses with only 4 months prep time ? Didn't we lambaste CCWS for this sort of stuff? The course is dull. Where is a challenging section? This reminds me of that very simple course in San Jose complete with street car tracks. Interlagos may not have been available for political reasons, but there are other facilities. Roger Penske isn't all wrong but I can at least say Brazil is worth it. Just not this course, or on this short notice.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If that course happens, there will be fast lap times and lots of passing. It looks just like San Jose which was a terribly simple track yet had passing almost every lap.
    The Other Side - "2011 Silly Season Update" Dec 17/2010
    Bookmark Us!

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chamoo
    If that course happens, there will be fast lap times and lots of passing. It looks just like San Jose which was a terribly simple track yet had passing almost every lap.
    It had lots of passing after the Push to pass buttons AND the anti-blocking rules for sure. That said, I like watching guys negotiate a course that makes them work. This one is what street tracks shouldn't be.....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    This one is what street tracks shouldn't be.....
    Completely agreed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Is that really a mile long straight? If so ... well you guys are worried about insurance from going 240 at Indy? You ain't seen nutin' yet.
    The overall technical objective in racing is the achievement of a vehicle configuration, acceptable within the practical interpretation of the rules, which can traverse a given course in a minimum time. -Milliken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck34
    Is that really a mile long straight? If so ... well you guys are worried about insurance from going 240 at Indy? You ain't seen nutin' yet.
    I'm not too worried. The cars would be trimmed out in road course downforce and usually top out around 237-239 MPH on the back stretch at Indy (I believe) once they hit the rev limiter so I doubt they will do anything close to that in Brazil. Also, I'm not sure how you judged that to be a 1 mile straight. The whole track is only 2.36 miles long.
    Bookmark Us!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chamoo
    I'm not too worried. The cars would be trimmed out in road course downforce and usually top out around 237-239 MPH on the back stretch at Indy (I believe) once they hit the rev limiter so I doubt they will do anything close to that in Brazil. Also, I'm not sure how you judged that to be a 1 mile straight. The whole track is only 2.36 miles long.
    speeddurango said it was 1 mile. I didn't do too much looking at it other than to notice that it'll probably be another boring street race. The rev limiter is not a speed limiter, they could just change out the gears. If it were a one mile straight, and with the turns all being 90 or 180 degrees, I would say that the cars will be trimmed out as much as possible as there won't be too much compromise for those turns because they will just be pretty much low speed stuff.

But if it's that short then it won't really matter.
    The overall technical objective in racing is the achievement of a vehicle configuration, acceptable within the practical interpretation of the rules, which can traverse a given course in a minimum time. -Milliken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just a couple of points.

I understand the start/finish straight will be inside the Sambodrome, between those grandstands. It means that there will be 35,000 seats without having to erect any temporary grandstands, plus VIP lounges and a media centre, as Tony Cotman indicates in the article.

There would also be a great overtaking opportunity in the last corner - the hairpin at the end of the riverside drive which would lead onto the start/finish straight between the grandstands (bottom right corner on the photo).

The course designers also have some degree of freedom designing the first and the second corners. As you can see on the photo, there is a big open parking lot there so they are able to design fast Esses as well as slower 90 degree corners.
    “It used to be about trying to do something. Now it’s about trying to be someone.”

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck34
    speeddurango said it was 1 mile. I didn't do too much looking at it other than to notice that it'll probably be another boring street race. The rev limiter is not a speed limiter, they could just change out the gears. If it were a one mile straight, and with the turns all being 90 or 180 degrees, I would say that the cars will be trimmed out as much as possible as there won't be too much compromise for those turns because they will just be pretty much low speed stuff.

But if it's that short then it won't really matter.
    Your right about the gears, forgot to think about that, but I would still think they would not run as fast as at IMS.
    Bookmark Us!