Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chamoo
    I'd disagree with that Anthony. I think the FIA would not be happy. Brazil is it's market internationally, and it probably does feel threatened considering the amount of Brazilian IRL drivers and the TV deal in place for the event and I believe the entire season with one of the top Brazilian stations.

Had the event been done much earlier, I think the FIA would feel even more threatened, but ticket sales won't be that great due to the short notice.

I think the IRL probably doesn't want to run F1 tracks either as they could had run Montreal, they could had run Indy road course, and now they could had tried to run Interlagos, but there was never any mention of it.
    The FIA felt threatened back in the CART glory days 80's thru early 90's when the cars were closing in on F1 performance wise and it was a viable option for the top drivers.

Today ICS is no threat whatsoever for F1.
    The Brazilian race fan is educated in motorsports. Sure the ICS will draw a crowd but nobody is going to give up their F1 tixs in exchange to see the Dallaras.

The FIA didn't have a problem with A1GP scheduling a race in Interlagos and they had no problem with the Superfund League running at Monza so why would they get all nervous about Indy Cars?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    The FIA didn't have a problem with A1GP scheduling a race in Interlagos and they had no problem with the Superfund League running at Monza so why would they get all nervous about Indy Cars?
    I would say that the lower ticket price, higher proportion of Brazilians, and different atmosphere and show ICS puts on is what would scare the FIA. Champ Car had troubles running overseas with the FIA (financially as well), but the FIA really didn't make it easy for them to run.

Bernie is aware that if ICS could in the future offer a threat to F1. He didn't think CART would threaten F1 back in the early nineties, and did nothing to try and stop it until it actually happened. Now he is too smart to realize that the IRL, if not in it's present form, could in the future present a problem for F1, and he will not take chances now.

Superleague is no threat to him, he most likely assumes it will flop, and if not, he will destroy it in a few years anyways. A1GP is killing itself off.

The IRL is sanctioning body he can't control that well since most of the races are in North America. But once those races go elsewhere, anywhere the FIA is the main sanctioning body, he has the ability to influence those races. Any time the IRL steps out of North America, he will make it difficult.
    The Other Side - "2011 Silly Season Update" Dec 17/2010
    Bookmark Us!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The Brazil race is a good think, so I don't want to whinge. But this shows why the Rio "web glitch" was such a big mistake. Judging by the pictures, any location could be a dissapointment compared to Botafogo Beach...
    “It used to be about trying to do something. Now it’s about trying to be someone.”

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    "Roger Penske has told Indycar bosses to focus on making the series successful in North America rather than adding international races to the calendar.

There have been rumours of other countries such as China being pursued but Penske doesn't want the IRL to be looking away from North America for races.

" I think we need to run in this country and build up the sport in the US.People might disagree with,me but if we are going to have a sport that is national in the US and Canada then we have to run in those two countries. I don't think we gain anything other than someone paying our travel when we race outside of North America."
    Sarah Fisher..... Team owner of a future Indy500 winning car!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I would say that the lower ticket price,
    Do we know that. One can assume but we don't know.

higher proportion of Brazilians,
    F1 will have at least 3 Brazilian Drivers in 2010 with a possible 2 more. None of the current Brazilian ICS drivers come close to rivaling Massa or Reubens in popularity.

and different atmosphere
    Ok. I can give you that one.

and show ICS puts on is what would scare the FIA. .
    Show? Really? A spec series with cars that are ponderously slow compared to an F1 car will put on a better show that F1?

Remember, Brazilians are educated race fans. They don't need nor want NASCAR style racing.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Do we know that. One can assume but we don't know.

F1 will have at least 3 Brazilian Drivers in 2010 with a possible 2 more. None of the current Brazilian ICS drivers come close to rivaling Massa or Reubens in popularity.

Ok. I can give you that one.

Show? Really? A spec series with cars that are ponderously slow compared to an F1 car will put on a better show that F1?

Remember, Brazilians are educated race fans. They don't need nor want NASCAR style racing.
    I agree. I just don't buy the notion of a large Brazilian crowd enjoying IndyCar at Interlagos more than F1.

Anyone who saw F1 in Brazil 2008 would know how much they love F1.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I mean't a different show. I understand where you're coming from, but I feel that the ICS puts on a completely different show from the in-field out. I wish they raced at Interlagos as there would be passing galore as opposed to all the dry Brazilian GP's.
    The Other Side - "2011 Silly Season Update" Dec 17/2010
    Bookmark Us!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I saw some pics of the proposed layout. Looks like it could be a very fast circuit with 2 or 3 good corners for passing. Not sure about the roads though, from some of the pics it looks like it could be pretty bumpy. I kind of wonder how teams prep for a course that they've never been on before.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would welcome that layout though, if it is actually 3.8 kms long with no chicanes whatsoever on that 1 mile long straight. I reckon that's going to be a good fun.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    proposed Sao Paulo track

San Jose 2006

eeerie
    Sarah Fisher..... Team owner of a future Indy500 winning car!