Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi
    Such a great video. This rally is just as classic and iconic as they come. I would feel instantly better about the WRC if they can get this event reinstated. It's been 7 long years without it. It needs to be included when the championship regains strength. I think if it was on next years calendar they would be lucky to get 30 entries.

For me the Castrol Celica's ploughing through the deep brown water is really something I will always remember. On a side note what an advertisement for a car that is. To have it really tested in the toughest conditions in the world. That is what rallying used to be.
    Good thing that we all have different opinions.. I feel that a wrc car should go on fast surfaces, maybe with a few rocks and watersplashes, and leave the climbing over huge rocks, diving into a "lake", and climbing up steep tracks to the cars that are ment to do it..(dakar, offroad, +++)
    Never give up...

Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JFL
    Good thing that we all have different opinions.. I feel that a wrc car should go on fast surfaces, maybe with a few rocks and watersplashes, and leave the climbing over huge rocks, diving into a "lake", and climbing up steep tracks to the cars that are ment to do it..(dakar, offroad, +++)
    I know what you mean and yes, differing opinions are what makes us human.

But I would argue that the Safari was a once a year treat. A real test that offered something different for drivers and teams.

The really bad water such as in 1993 was a product of the rainy season coming early. In years since routes have been diverted due to huge amounts of water such as that. There are rough roads but it is a test of a driver that can pace himself and look after the car. It is a sign to me of a well rounded driver. And Safari's always throw up intrigue and random results which you cant say about most generic rallies these days. I think a modern Safari would be a more tame affair - but crucially still a test.

And as for your point about speed - I might be wrong but a lot of Safari rallies have had such long stretches and fast roads that the speeds there were higher than on any other round in the championship.

The only things against it IMO (apart from travel) is the broken parts and the one-off modifications to the cars. But like I said in my previous post if the WRC was in a better place hopefully in the future this would not be an issue.

I know Simon Long/ISC have the ambition to bring back the Safari sometime in the next decade. I hope they manage it.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi
    I know what you mean and yes, differing opinions are what makes us human.

But I would argue that the Safari was a once a year treat. A real test that offered something different for drivers and teams.

The really bad water such as in 1993 was a product of the rainy season coming early. In years since routes have been diverted due to huge amounts of water such as that. There are rough roads but it is a test of a driver that can pace himself and look after the car. It is a sign to me of a well rounded driver. And Safari's always throw up intrigue and random results which you cant say about most generic rallies these days. I think a modern Safari would be a more tame affair - but crucially still a test.

And as for your point about speed - I might be wrong but a lot of Safari rallies have had such long stretches and fast roads that the speeds there were higher than on any other round in the championship.

The only things against it IMO (apart from travel) is the broken parts and the one-off modifications to the cars. But like I said in my previous post if the WRC was in a better place hopefully in the future this would not be an issue.

I know Simon Long/ISC have the ambition to bring back the Safari sometime in the next decade. I hope they manage it.
    I agree. The Safari was part of the WRC just like other events like Finland were.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
    Les Clues d'Aiglun in Monte-Carlo (that narrow road in a mountain wall). The stage has had different names like Col de Bleine, etc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    thank you Priorat, yes thats it amazing road, am i right do they use it on the Antibes as well? i found this pic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    [quote="anstis"]the safari rally (and 2 very dedicated fans):

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1352/...9b5029cd_o.jpg

I read somewhere that this particular pic was (forgive the pun) staged by Toyota as a publicity shot during testing that year. Nevertheless, it certainly is an iconic image of rallying.
    Yeah, americans love rallying too.

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
    The Safari would be my iconic rally backdrop.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Josti
    Certaintly Simmi!

I'm curious about this well known corner/hairpin at the old Sanremo Rally. Had to do with some screenshots btw, but it pretty much covers every angle.

1985:

Where is this corner? what town? and is there any photo material of this corner nowadays?
    This corner is in the town of Chiusdino, Tuscany!

Liked 29 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grugsticles
    McRae in 1997? over the Bunnings jumps.
    Thats what WRC is about!
    Absolutely, will always remember Colins face when he finished the stage. The interviewer asked him had he done enough to beat Tommi and Colin's only reply was 'if he beats that he deserves it, thats all i can say', for me that has to be one of the highlights of the 1997 championship. Colin at a disadvantage sweeping the road ahead of Tommi on the final morning and under serious pressure as he had to win to keep his championship alive to bring a showdown on the next and final round, the RAC. Got a poster in 1998 of Colin going over the bunnings jumps out of the old motoring news (motorsport news) and have it up on the wall. It is still up there to-day and is a brilliant reminder of when our sport used to be great.

Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Norway does look amazing.. Alittle different to the Australian rally, just paddocks lol