Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts

Iconic rally backdrops

There's not a great deal going on on the forum so I thought I would try come up with something to talk about over the off season.

I came up with the iconic backdrops of rallying. Each rally has a corner or a jump that is unique to that rally. A spot you see and you know instantly what rally you are on. Probably the most obvious example being the Col du Turini on the Monte. Finland has the huge jump on Ouninpohja, and also for me the sequence of jumps in Ruuhimaki also make me instantly think of Finland.

There's the big spectator hairpin in El Priorat in Catalunya. Colin's Crest in Sweden. The crazy Monte Lerno jump in Sardinia. Then you have modern ones which aren't so great like the Walters Arena on Wales GB. These are the places the photographers/tv crews flock to - for better or worse.

I was just wondering what people's favourites were?
    Have you ever spectated at these 'iconic' spots?

There are loads when you think about it. And with the WRC coming under a lot of criticism for dumping traditional events or moving - there are a lot of great spots that have been lost. The Fafe jumps spring to mind in Portugal. There are plenty to remember fondly. For me Chatsworth watersplash is a reminder of the goodtimes from the RAC.

There are also plenty of places I know and dont know the name of. When were they last used etc. One that springs to mind is in Portugal - a tarmac run up to a hairpin right onto gravel which always had thousands of spectators on the hillside.

Just thought it might be something to talk about...
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    this has got me thinking simmi, well i spectated at the Chatsworth watersplash in 95, for me i guess Germany,s Panzerplatte in 1983 and 2006 to see the quattro,s thrash around it was awesome, then all those years later the WRC boys fantastic.

also Calgary Bay on the Tour of Mull this year was breathtaking and Kielder on the Pirelli is up there too

far to many

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swjSfdKx6wY

Just a little something to tie in with the anniversary. Four years today we lost Burnsy. Can't remember what stage the hairpin is at 0.18. Plenty of iconic back drops in there - Bunnings etc. And some great driving. RIP Richard.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i,d have loved to see bunnings, 4 years i cant believe its been that long, indeed

R.I.P Burnsie

Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
    Not sure what part, but I think this stage really "is" Rally Norway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOd4OGQaMFQ

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Well, many places in Ouninpohja. When I went to watch Mikko's tests in the summer, I stopped to admire few legendary places. "The jump of the yellow house" is an iconic place. Bit before it, there's a fifth/sixth gear right hander that comes over a small stream and there are guardrails there. Just about three hundred meters after that place there's a long, bit slower right hander where Lindholm and Pons have crashed. I always remember those places, don't know why though. Plus many more.

On a legendary stage called Juupajoki there are few places too. "Kosti's corner", a tight left over a crest where Kosti Katajamäki had a huge roll in a national rally. In WRC, Stohl rolled his Xsara there. Juupajoki also has this very slow corner where there is a barn's roof (yes, a roof, it's difficult to explain) very close to the road. I guess I could continue the list on and on for other stages too. Ruuhimäki's jumps, Myhinpää's triple jump, Leustu's "the jump of Novikov" aka Visala jump, Harju's legendary city stage, Urria jump/drop and the subsequent flat right over a jump (Mikko's absolute favourite), just to name few.

In Germany there's that big jump on Panzerplatte. Australia has (had) Bunnings jumps. The surprise jump on Punta Pianedda in Sardinia that caught many drivers back in 2008. For some reason I always regonize a place on Aghii Theodori, a very bad bump on an otherwise fast section. Oh, and the Mountain stage of Rally Norway as pointed out above.
    Satakymppi, oikee yks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    that mountain stage is like a giant crest run, awesome ))

Quote Originally Posted by Juha_Koo
    Well, many places in Ouninpohja. When I went to watch Mikko's tests in the summer, I stopped to admire few legendary places. "The jump of the yellow house" is an iconic place. Bit before it, there's a fifth/sixth gear right hander that comes over a small stream and there are guardrails there. Just about three hundred meters after that place there's a long, bit slower right hander where Lindholm and Pons have crashed. I always remember those places, don't know why though. Plus many more.

On a legendary stage called Juupajoki there are few places too. "Kosti's corner", a tight left over a crest where Kosti Katajamäki had a huge roll in a national rally. In WRC, Stohl rolled his Xsara there. Juupajoki also has this very slow corner where there is a barn's roof (yes, a roof, it's difficult to explain) very close to the road. I guess I could continue the list on and on for other stages too. Ruuhimäki's jumps, Myhinpää's triple jump, Leustu's "the jump of Novikov" aka Visala jump, Harju's legendary city stage, Urria jump/drop and the subsequent flat right over a jump (Mikko's absolute favourite), just to name few.

In Germany there's that big jump on Panzerplatte. Australia has (had) Bunnings jumps. The surprise jump on Punta Pianedda in Sardinia that caught many drivers back in 2008. For some reason I always regonize a place on Aghii Theodori, a very bad bump on an otherwise fast section. Oh, and the Mountain stage of Rally Norway as pointed out above.
    Someone should write a book about the Finnish stages and all the places people have been off over the years. I would truely love to have such an amazing home rally. When the WRC regains a bit of its strength (and I have money) I definately plan to go again. I loved every minute in 2005.

Also as jumps go - honourable mention:
    http://www.tac.bz/fotonot/Colin-FocusWRC-jump.JPG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Juha_Koo
    hander that comes over a small stream and there are guardrails there. Just about three hundred meters after that place there's a long, bit slower right hander where Lindholm and Pons have crashed.
    I was there when basti vent off, very easy place to drive, maybe his toughts was at the yellow house already.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi
    I was there when basti vent off, very easy place to drive, maybe his toughts was at the yellow house already.
    Was that the year when he was in the third 307?