Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Motogp back to 1000cc for 2012?

I don't think this seems to have been mentioned on here yet.

It's been widely reported that Dorna and MSMA want to move back to 1000cc for 2012 in a bid to reduce costs. Kawasaki have gone and Suzuki are apparently on the edge of leaving so something needs to be done.

There seem to be 2 rumours - one is a return to 1000cc prototype engines and the other suggests 1000cc production engines in a prototype chassis. I suspect that the WSB promoters would be less than happy about the latter.

Your thoughts?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Thumbs up for the prospect of reverting to the use of 1000cc engines but no way would they approve the use of production engines in Moto 1.

Sad about what it cost the manufacturers to tool up for the 800cc engines in the first place.

Liked 106 Times in 60 Posts
    Great so the teams spend more money after another rule change, great idea....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allyc85
    That's my take on it too - can't see the point! Sure, the motors may be less stressed at 1000cc (making the same power - they can't realistically use any more), but it won't be cheaper, and there won't be any more powerslides than we see now. In simple terms, a return to 1000cc just means - re-tool for a new motor and parts, re-calibrate the onboard electronics and pit equipment, revise the gearing and chassis etc. etc. All of which costs... money money money money money.

As for production-based motors - it won't be one or the other, the proposal is for both prototype and prod-based motors to run in the same class. The latter would be an option for the funding-challenged teams. I see this idea as Dorna's stop-gap measure, designed merely to get more players in, with - hopefully - a longer term strategy to return to prototype only when a cost effective model is dreamed up. I can see some savings here for non-factory teams, it remains to be seen how a) the prod-based bikes will go against the factory bikes, we don't want mobile chicanes out there, and b) what Infront has to say about it... MotoMatters has some interesting insights into this.
    Phantom... Bike Who Parks

"It's a tour, not a race... but don't get in my way while I'm touring!"

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    +1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    1000cc(or 990) + no electronic rider aides = something I wanna see!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's supposedly the teams and manufacturers who are pushing for the rule change, IRTA are the ones behind the push.

The rules are supposed to be just like Moto2, prototype chassis, production engines, although the engines won't be one make.

In theory it's a good thing, imo. I never liked the 800's.
    Jono Porter 12/05/81 - 09/06/04
    MX's Celeb Crush - Sue Bird :love: