Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    I have a few objections. One...lol..Mosport didn't make the list.
    Why did IMSA shorten the races in the 1980s?

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    Having two 1 Hour races is most certainly not the way to go. Big mistake, methinks. GT and Endurance go together......
    I basically agree. I can see Ratel's point absolutely, but while shorter races are fine in formulae where the racing is close and exciting, GTs or other forms of sportscars are another matter.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    I'm for anything that raises the profile of sports car racing globally, and especially in the U.S. I'm not sure if or when this will be seen in the U.S. (please, let it not be on Versus!), but maybe the FIA GT1 World Championship will be a good start.

Of course, my only (major) gripe is that Jaguar isn't in the mix. : But from the list, it looks like there will be some very interesting vehicles in there.

Six manufacturers and twelve teams will line-up to contest the inaugural season, Aston Martin, Corvette, Ford, Lamborghini, Maserati and Nissan will each supply two private teams with two cars, making up a grid.of 24 GT1 super-cars. The series will be the FIA's only world championship aimed soley at private teams, a move designed to keep control of costs.
    FIA launch GT1 World Championship
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    Why did IMSA shorten the races in the 1980s?
    TV....and costs. IMSA runs all the ALMS events outside of Sebring and Petit to fit in a 3 hour TV window at 2:45. THAT ensures a lead in show and the winner's circle at the end. When you are buying TV time, extra hours cost money AND the teams also know the extra hours are expensive, and you see only 2 long events on the sched for that reason.

For most sportscar events, I think 3 hours is a fine distance.....but I do like the idea of 2 to 4 events like LeMans, Sebring, Petit, and maybe a 6 hour race some place.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    TV....and costs. IMSA runs all the ALMS events outside of Sebring and Petit to fit in a 3 hour TV window at 2:45. THAT ensures a lead in show and the winner's circle at the end. When you are buying TV time, extra hours cost money AND the teams also know the extra hours are expensive, and you see only 2 long events on the sched for that reason.

For most sportscar events, I think 3 hours is a fine distance.....but I do like the idea of 2 to 4 events like LeMans, Sebring, Petit, and maybe a 6 hour race some place.
    Ah, I've wondered why the short races are run 2hr 45mins.

It's a good mix of race distances. I would love to see a 6hr race at Millers.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Cool

I don't care what the schedule is or how it gets done, only that it gets done. Le Mans NEEDS a world championship, and the sooner it gets done the better!
    #4 2014 Sprint Cup Champion, 2007 Daytona 500,2003 Brickyard 400,2x Coke 600,2014 Southern 500 Champ: 962 starts,90 wins, 345 T5s, 544 T10s, 44 poles, 2x NNS champ