Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Liked 65 Times in 28 Posts
    Dan Clarke? You mean that guy who recently claimed the IRL was into race-fixing???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lousada
    Dan Clarke? You mean that guy who recently claimed the IRL was into race-fixing???
    Sure, need some controversy in the league.
    The Other Side - "2011 Silly Season Update" Dec 17/2010
    Bookmark Us!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURN3
    Bingo on the crashing issue...he doesn't drive full time. That is part of what I didn't get but more so, what bad moves is he making off the track? That is really what I'm curious about now that we got passed the smart talk with each other.
    The fact that he doesn't have a ride would be the bad moves he's making off the track. If he really is as great as everyone says he is (and I'll admit, he has talent), shouldn't he be rumored to be in talks with some of the "big teams" from time to time? Penske, AGR, and Ganassi have all had open slots in the past couple of years, yet no talk of PT? Other than KV I haven't even heard his name mentioned at any other team. To me that suggests that he might be p!ssing someone off in team management.

In a simmilar vane, if he's so good and such a great draw for sponsors, why is it that the only thing he can seem to (barely) scrape together is the Geico/Monster deal? And even then, he's got to beg his fans to write in to the CEO? That doesn't seem to me that everyone is on board with PT being the best thing since sliced bread, except for PT of course.
    The overall technical objective in racing is the achievement of a vehicle configuration, acceptable within the practical interpretation of the rules, which can traverse a given course in a minimum time. -Milliken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Not to distract from the PT/Speed Dan Hijack, but Gordon Kirby has a great in-depth look at Newman Wachs Racing and John Edwards. Its sounding more and more like they're going to be in the ICS next year with a single car team piggybacking off of NHL.

It's a good read:
    http://www.gordonkirby.com/categorie..._is_no208.html

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    So why not Dan Clarke? he is of higher quality than 3/4 of the current field.
    I'll quote Marshall Pruett on that one:

[quote="an actual journalist"] Dan Clarke earned the nickname &#8216]
    http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...le-stint-1021/

Oh, snap...
    Most posters on this forum can't think past their own screen names...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck34
    The fact that he doesn't have a ride would be the bad moves he's making off the track. If he really is as great as everyone says he is (and I'll admit, he has talent), shouldn't he be rumored to be in talks with some of the "big teams" from time to time? Penske, AGR, and Ganassi have all had open slots in the past couple of years, yet no talk of PT? Other than KV I haven't even heard his name mentioned at any other team. To me that suggests that he might be p!ssing someone off in team management.

In a simmilar vane, if he's so good and such a great draw for sponsors, why is it that the only thing he can seem to (barely) scrape together is the Geico/Monster deal? And even then, he's got to beg his fans to write in to the CEO? That doesn't seem to me that everyone is on board with PT being the best thing since sliced bread, except for PT of course.
    A terrible economy and lack of good teams have been more a culprit. Even Penske can't (couldn't) find sponsorshipt of Will Power. Ganassi hasn't been able to jump up to a full-time 3rd car when he had Alex Lloyd in the wings. AGR basically lost Motorola and they were backing the "biggest" draw the IRL has to offer...they still haven't found a full-time sponsor for Marco and he has Andretti as his last name. NHL isn't fully funded for even 1 car, let alone the 2 they are running. I think it is clear that sponsorship is an extremely hard thing to come by and you surely would agree.

The fact PT has yet to find a full-time gig I don't think has anything to do with moves he's made on or off track...and that is why you said. As for the teams, he's drove for Penske (burned that bridge long ago + the 500 fiasco), he's not driving for the Rog. Mikey and he are old enemies and he basically left AGR (Team Green) of his own accord when Mikey took ownership. I think if AGR was on strong ground with sponsorship they'd welcome him considering the steady regression they've had while their talent has moved on...but at AGR $$$ is the only thing keeping the doors open. Chip was reportedly ready to offer PT a ride before Champ Car folded and a contract dispute became public with Gerry. Chip offered him rides for Indy during the split so I don't think Chip would have a hard time giving him a shot if the dollars where available...which they aren't for anybody.

So, seriously, depsite you're disdain for him (which I can understand), wouldn't you agree that your statement was completeley baseless, inaccurate, and false? So I asked for the explanation...that's all.
    It isn't the car Danica...it is the space between the steering wheel and the seat.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURN3
    So, seriously, depsite you're disdain for him (which I can understand), wouldn't you agree that your statement was completeley baseless, inaccurate, and false? So I asked for the explanation...that's all.
    I don't have disdain for him. I was a huge fan when he came into the series in the early 90's. But his actions on and off the track, there were sponsor issues that I didn't go into as well, have changed my mind. So, no, I don't have disdain for him, I just see him for what he is ... A hot-head with a bunch of wasted talent.

You talked about burned bridges and heated rivalries, don't you think that could be considered "bad moves off the track"?

You mentioned a bunch of other excuses about the economy and other things as well, don't you think that if PT was such a great assest as everyone keeps saying, that he could find ways around these other issues? How many drivers have come and gone in this series since he's been sitting on the sideline? How long does it take for the "reasons" he doesn't have a ride to become "excuses"?

The simple fact that he has been looking for a full time ride for at least 2 years now with nothing to show for it is the bassis of my comment "bad moves on and off the track", and you have done nothing but give the same old lame "reasons" everyone else always gives, PT included. For me, those "reasons" have now turned into excuses, and I stand by my statement. If you don't like it, that's fine, I'm not asking you to agree with me. But perhaps you can look at things from a different standpoint from time to time.

Hijack off/
    The overall technical objective in racing is the achievement of a vehicle configuration, acceptable within the practical interpretation of the rules, which can traverse a given course in a minimum time. -Milliken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Again, not to detract from this excellent flame war that wouldn't at all be better served by moving to another thread, but Panther has all but ruled out running two FT teams next year

http://www.pantherracing.com/pantherpack/qa.cfm#q664

The Panther Q&As and twitter feeds are always good reads btw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDS
    Again, not to detract from this excellent flame war that wouldn't at all be better served by moving to another thread, but Panther has all but ruled out running two FT teams next year

http://www.pantherracing.com/pantherpack/qa.cfm#q664

The Panther Q&As and twitter feeds are always good reads btw
    When did anyone think Panther would run 2 FT teams next season? They barely had enough cash to get Wheldon in the top ten this year, and I got the impression they were shutting down their Lights program to get a few more bucks into Wheldon's team, certainly not starting up another.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It was rumored for a while that Scott Sharp was going to take his Patron sponsorship to Panther for a full time effort. I don't think anyone thought Panther would do more than an Indy-only one off, but to see it officially stated is interesting I think