Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What are FIA doing to attract new manufacturers?

Hello,

I've just been watching some old World Rally Championship DVD's from 1985, and could not help but notice the diversity of manufacturers taking part back then..... Nissan, Mazda, Audi, Opel, Lancia, Renault, Porsche, VW, MG ..... etc

My question is why is there a paltry and embarrising 2 manufacters left in 2009 compared to back then?

And what are the people in charge of running the WRC doing as a matter of urgency to attract new manufacturers (not teams) to compete again.

Liked 199 Times in 118 Posts
    They're doing nothing.. Mr Chandler lost control unfortantely (that means Citroen and Ford are chiefs)..

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Barreis is once again presenting total nonsense. Just like your claim about "three paid drivers". Allow me to grin.

It's very difficult to attract new manufacturers to an expensive sport during these very difficult times when many car manufactures are fighting to survive the recession.

Even though motorsports are a vital marketing tool for car manufacturers, during difficult financial times they don't want to be seen as a right-wing brand continuing their expensive motorsport programs when at the same time the companies are laying off workers. There's no doubt that leftist media would bash them to death. That would create (very) negative publicity and it's not wanted.

Therefore, we should wait for the economy to rise - and after that, present some new regulations that guarantee cheaper cars. FIA has already done this.
    Satakymppi, oikee yks

Now I'm really happy that FIA president is Frenchman and WRC champ is Frenchman.. How about so many manufacturers did homologations for their S2000 cars but not for WRC 'cos they want to invest in something that will give them profit.. They don't throw their money into nothing.. For the end -

Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdhan
    Hello,

I've just been watching some old World Rally Championship DVD's from 1985, and could not help but notice the diversity of manufacturers taking part back then..... Nissan, Mazda, Audi, Opel, Lancia, Renault, Porsche, VW, MG ..... etc

My question is why is there a paltry and embarrising 2 manufacters left in 2009 compared to back then?

And what are the people in charge of running the WRC doing as a matter of urgency to attract new manufacturers (not teams) to compete again.
    The ONLY way FIA can do thet is by keeping the tech regs so simple that the price tag of building a new WRCar for 2011 is so low that the manufacturers see the benefit commercially !

If they miss at this crossroads they can kiss rally goodbye for a long time !

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Which is why opposition to S2000 by rally fans is dumb.
    :champion: WRC3 championship, WRC4 championship, WRC4 PCWRC, WRC4 ERC
    Winner - TRD2 Bathurst:burnout:

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordini
    The ONLY way FIA can do that is by keeping the tech regs so simple that the price tag of building a new WRCar for 2011 is so low that the manufacturers see the benefit commercially !

If they miss at this crossroads they can kiss rally goodbye for a long time !
    I'm inclined to agree. While S2000/S1600T are at least a start, they are still going to be fairly expensive, and prohibitive for most Privateers. Take the current S2000's, they are allowed in the BRC - but hardly anybody uses them, if at all, as they're just too expensive.
    I've said before, that in an ideal world the cars used would be similar to the current 'Hot Hatches' we see lots of Manufacturers making. The only modifications would be for safety, brakes and suspension.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 212 Times in 133 Posts
    The problem with this is that people only see the cars as the target for cost cut. But if you see what a team spends a year with hotels cost, mechanics, manager's, rally entrie fee's and deslocations it's quite overhelming, if they cuted on that there was going to be no need of cheaper cars.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Nothing.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    I'm inclined to agree. While S2000/S1600T are at least a start, they are still going to be fairly expensive, and prohibitive for most Privateers. Take the current S2000's, they are allowed in the BRC - but hardly anybody uses them, if at all, as they're just too expensive.
    I've said before, that in an ideal world the cars used would be similar to the current 'Hot Hatches' we see lots of Manufacturers making. The only modifications would be for safety, brakes and suspension.
    I agree..