Page 73 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Thread: R-Classes News

Liked 11,150 Times in 4,426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazza555)
    He doesn't need a source. He stating his opinion, not a fact. "I think..., but imagine..."

I tend to agree with him I can see R5 becoming the next top flight category or the basis of. Make manufacturers homologate a R5 car and then allow a spec upgrade from R5 to WRC, basically bigger restrictor and more wing . So sort of the opposite way round to RRC/1.6T S2000. And the spec upgrade from R5 to WRC should be available to all, with a price cap. The move to production based engines is vital I believe. The next evolution of the Fiesta WRC could quite easily be an R5 with 300 horses, some aero and 6 speed 'box.

If this was to happen there would be huge number of potential manufacturers and cars available already with such interest in the R5 category, probably much to the dismay of VW.
    You suggest almost same thing what was tried with RRC/WRC and didn't proved itself as healthy solution. It didn't help bring cost of WRC down but helped bring cost of RRC up on WRC elevel. There is no need to repeat same mistakes.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek
    Doesn't matter what was the idea, it will never work unless there are no big players directly involved in the competition. It can work in feeder classes but never in top category.
    My understanding is that manufacturers will build cars to Group R specifications, and make them available at a fixed price that is determined by the FIA. That way, competitive cars will be available at relatively low prices, theoretically opening the sport up to more competition. Manufacturers could support selected teams so that they have a stake in what is happening, but the idea is to keep costs down.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    But wasn't that the same idea for S2000 cars and for RRC cars as well? No one stuck to the fixed price.
    2009 Colorado Rally Cup Champion & 2009 CHCA Rookie Of the Year

Liked 11,150 Times in 4,426 Posts
    Even for current WRC cars there are limits of prices, even for particular components...
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The R5 cars will just become like the current WRC's. They will look no different and speed wise be the same to the spectator.

They will become as expensive as the current WRC's and the biggest problem will be no self build possible from a road car. ie you can only buy from the manufacturers approved motorsport company if it is not the manufacturer themselves.

What the FIA need to do is bring the top end cars to road car bodywork and driven wheels. That will take a chunk out of the cost of the cars for starters.
    Nav

Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    I don't believe R5 will become as expensive as the Current WRC's, at least if FIA keeps the rules they made now. Talking about time before revision etc. For S2000 they started making engines that lasted just one rally... Also there are more manufacturers I think (Ford, Peugeot, Skoda, Citroën, Opel, any others?), so there should be some competition, not just to have the fastest car, but also to sell some number (and keep the price on a realistic number) of cars.

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommeke_B
    I don't believe R5 will become as expensive as the Current WRC's, at least if FIA keeps the rules they made now. Talking about time before revision etc. For S2000 they started making engines that lasted just one rally... Also there are more manufacturers I think (Ford, Peugeot, Skoda, Citroën, Opel, any others?), so there should be some competition, not just to have the fastest car, but also to sell some number (and keep the price on a realistic number) of cars.
    I think that might be the truth, I heard form many "rally" people that even current WRC cars are cheapier than 2.0 ones it is still more expensive to run them. I mean a team needs to have much bigger budget for a season than they used to.

Liked 213 Times in 107 Posts
    I just look at homologation by FIA, and see a new thing on engine for the Corsa S2000...
    whereas nothing was homologated on the car since 2009.
    Why, and what could be it ?

Liked 213 Times in 107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vino_93
    I just look at homologation by FIA, and see a new thing on engine for the Corsa S2000...
    whereas nothing was homologated on the car since 2009.
    Why, and what could be it ?
    And I just discover that Toyota has homologated a Vitz R1B last year (it is different car from the new runned in APRC).

Liked 34 Times in 17 Posts
    Breen test today
    Petter we want u back in WRC