Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by indyracefan
    The fact that the ICS finally signed a title sponsor is a big step. That it is with a large, respected corporate sponsor wanting to make an impact on their investment is huge. And IZOD's marketing expertise and what they've stated their committed to doing makes this a good deal even if no money changed hands. There's no way the ICS could even try or expect NASCAR-type numbers for numerous reasons and I would imagine most recognize that. A comparison of the two is pointless other than for chest-thumping as it's not even an apple-to-apple discussion. The hope is that now with a title sponsor the series can seriously start addressing the other key issues holding the series back....namely attendance, television ratings and a new set of rules that abolishes 'spec' cars and motors and invites innovation and experimentation.

I applaud the signing of IZOD.
    Good post. I agree with that. One point though, when people say NASCAR, it's important to distinguish between the various NASCAR series: Sprint Cup Series, the Nationwide Series and the Camping World Truck Series. But I think you meant Sprint Cup, and you're right: to compare the IRL to Sprint Cup is like comparing your local Realtor to Donald Trump.

I took a quick glance around to get an idea of some other title sponsorship values. And with that, this Izod deal really is nothing to sneeze at. I have no idea what the opt out clauses are, but on the face, if the rumored numbers are at all accurate, the IRL has nothing to be ashamed of.

I wouldn't expect the IRL to even be in the same conversation with someone considering Sprint Cup or the Natiowide Series. From the ratings, it seems that the IRL slots in somewhere around or above the truck series. And this deal seems to reflect that. So it seems like a fair enough deal.

Sprint Nextel: $75 million/year
    Nationwide: $25 million/year
    Camping World: $5 million/year

Camping World to sponsor NASCAR truck series
    24/10/2008

Camping World, a recreational vehicle retailer, signed a seven-year deal to sponsor Nascar's pickup truck racing series, replacing the toolmaker Craftsman, which had sponsored the series since 1995.

Camping World's deal is worth about $5 million a year, said a source familiar with the deal who requested anonymity. Sprint Nextel Corp (S.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) and Nationwide Insurance pay an estimated $75 million and $25 million a year, respectively, for their title sponsorships in NASCAR's two popular car race series.

The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing boasts a fan base of about 75 million, a large stable of corporate sponsors and TV deals worth almost $4.5 billion through 2014.

However, attendance, merchandise and concession sales at Nascar events has suffered amid a weak U.S. economy and high gasoline prices.

Lincolnshire, Illinois-based Camping World already sponsors a truck driven by Ron Hornaday Jr., who won the championship last season.

"We feel strongly that this sponsorship will dramatically increase our customer base," Camping World Chief Executive Marcus Lemonis said in a statement.

Craftsman, a unit of Sears Holding Corp (SHLD.O: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz), has sponsored the truck series since it began in 1995. It said last year that 2008 would be its last season as the lead sponsor.

The sponsorship was attractive to Camping World because many NASCAR fans treat trips to the track as mini-vacations, driving long distances and parking their RVs at nearby campgrounds.

"Camping and tailgating is an essential part of the NASCAR race experience," NASCAR CEO Brian France said. "Thousands of RVs pack the campgrounds at every NASCAR event, often for three or four days at a time. This makes Camping World the perfect match."

(Source: Reuters)
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    my apolgies gary... i had asked a question of another poster on another forum and got you/them confused...

anyhow... to answer your question

because they have higher expectations going forward...

dont we all?

Fair enough. And yes we all have higher expectations going forward. Izod must see something on the horizon and must not be too disappointed by what they saw this year.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickFalzone
    Gary I think Ken is just looking to troll, fwiw. As far as I can tell, his first post on the subject was to try and find some negative way to construe it, which is really a stretch, even for him.

But I agree with the above point completely. The numbers the Izod deal is bringing in are pretty good news for IndyCar, but my guess is that they looked at either a single NASCAR team sponsorship for the year, or a title sponsorship for IndyCar, and saw more value in the IRL. But clearly, there's a big discrepancy when you can have a single car in another series be as valuable as the entire title sponsorship in another.

Of course there is a huge discrepency, so what else is new. We have King George and his vision (myopic as it was) to thank for that. But the thing that excites me most about this is not the dollar amount, it is that the deal is with a consumer facing company and not some B2B.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    Fair enough. And yes we all have higher expectations going forward. Izod must see something on the horizon and must not be too disappointed by what they saw this year.

Gary
    Maybe that something is Comcast/NBC?
    The Other Side - "2011 Silly Season Update" Dec 17/2010
    Bookmark Us!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My perception of Izod is it's geard to the golf and tennis crowd. Izod seems like a good fit at Indy but places like Mid-Ohio, not so much. My speculation is they are ether losing market share with their traditional customers or they are making a play for a more broad based market share.

Winston helped build the NASCAR brand maybe Izod will help build the ICS brand.

If it works, nice stratigic move.
    Don't waste your time having a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blancvino
    My perception of Izod is it's geard to the golf and tennis crowd. Izod seems like a good fit at Indy but places like Mid-Ohio, not so much. My speculation is they are ether losing market share with their traditional customers or they are making a play for a more broad based market share.

Winston helped build the NASCAR brand maybe Izod will help build the ICS brand.

If it works, nice stratigic move.
    I have to disagree about the Mid-Ohio aspect (and not just because it is my home track). I think the demographics of that place, the Glen and other road courses is exactly the market for Izod's clothing.

Gary

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I agree with Gary.

Road courses are the "wine and cheese" (that always cracks me up) crowd. The IZOD and Van Heusen line goes with that perfectly.

I guess that makes me a cheesy whiner
    Chrome Horn Racing
    Will Power, 2011 Champion!!!