Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New rules put LMP coupes in doubt

Coupe prototype designs could disappear from the Le Mans 24 Hours as the result of new rules planned for 2011

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79443.
    the big print giveth the small print taketh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    wow, sort of a shocker and a reversal, the Spyders were suppose to be gone by 2011.

I do believe both styles are just as safe, as the Acura proved this year at Petit and same for the Oreca in 2008.

I believe the ACO didn't want a mix coming together so they prolly went with their gut.

I'm glad the Spyders will stay because IMO they look alot better than the coupes
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    That's a shame, if either the open or closed tops were done away with. Prototype racing's biggest draw over F1 and such is the variety in the machinery, in both shape, engine layout, different technologies and so on. It'd be a shame if one of those variables was removed.

EDIT: I've just read the article (should have done so before posting!) that's actually fair enough to be honest, they are actually saying you can still build what you want, but the engine regs will be the same for both. Still a shame to lose the coupes as a by-product but still, it's not quite the same as F1 saying "you must run an engine with 10 cylinders no more no less"

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Shame

I'm in the camp that prefer the coupes

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    Shame

I also prefer the styling of the coupes. But I'd like to see both in the field. But since it's the ACO we're talking about, anything could happen between now and... the end of the year.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    Shame

same here. they look better for a start, and most le mans winners prior to the audi-era had been closed cockpit cars. its a le mans way. Group C was all closed cockpit-i want to keep the magnificence of closed cars. and, if Aston are building their own LMP1 for 2011, it would be much cooler as a closed car over an open car. silly move by the ACO. again.
    Congratulations Sebastian Vettel. Champion of the season of seasons.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I prefer coupes, but if I were a constructor and both were an option I'd have to build a spyder. faster driver changes, visor tear-offs as opposed to smeared windshields, etc...all adds up to more reliable pace.

But, looking over my scale race-car collection, the only spyder i bothered to purchase was the jules-liveried 936.
    Formula Platypus 2012