Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Pat Richard (A Canadian) ran quite a few WRC event's in group N car's a few years back, quite unsuccessfully however.. but still, there have been a handfull of North American's in the WRC in some shape or form over the years...

Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa
    Hope he learns some history:
    quote: "Rally just hasn't been as popular in the States because it's been deemed more a European-type sport," Block says. "We haven't had many U.S. drivers that have gotten to that level. There have been a few people that have done one-off events. No one has done multiple events. It's a huge honor to go try to do that.

"There's a lot of pride, and to do it in an American brand, I'm really stoked to have this opportunity."

he forgets John Buffum who is still, in equal machinery, quicker than Block. See Colin McRae Stages 08.

Shameful he is so full of himself he totally misses Buffum who did do multiple events and did quite respectable placings in tough events, as in top 6.

But he's from SoCal, if it wasn't on TV last week it never happened.....
    Follow me on Twitter @jasonhjustin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    thanks rallymutt, i didnt know that, but thats good, is he in a team with Kyle Sarassin? i thought i read he got a drive?, and yeah Richard entered some rounds of the British championship as well.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Never give up...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProRally
    Car must be road legal, maybe a bit too much for the Rallycross version.
    Manufacturer...

Should be able to bring the cars into the US for limited amount of miles for up to two years under a carnet...

Could always stamp them with a VIN and register them in a state with less strict inspection laws.

I know a certain driver who needed some help with plates because of emissions where the team was based making it difficult to register the car back in 2007 (I believe you should be familiar with this particular circumstance).
    US Hillclimb and Rally Photos
    KevinHahnPhotography.com

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by L5->R5/CR
    Manufacturer...

Should be able to bring the cars into the US for limited amount of miles for up to two years under a carnet...

Could always stamp them with a VIN and register them in a state with less strict inspection laws.

I know a certain driver who needed some help with plates because of emissions where the team was based making it difficult to register the car back in 2007 (I believe you should be familiar with this particular circumstance).
    hahhaa you gave me the dealer plates .....
    Passion will make you crazy, but is there a other way to live ? :burnout:

Liked 353 Times in 209 Posts
    You guys speak of advertising in the WRC, Ken and his DC Shoes + Monster Drink.... so what.

Remember when oh no Abu Dhabi were and still are all over the Ford WRC cars? Complaints here and there.

Pirelli on Gigi Galli's Pug and Xsara. GOOO!!! on Loeb's old car and Stobart + Expro with Henning.

Petter Solberg was a marketing tool for many of Subaru's sponsors. With out him Subaru wouldn't have been so big, same with it's sponsors.

You watch the WRC and once a camera pans a car it stops right where the sponsors have been placed with big (bill)boards on the side of each stage. If you haven't noticed watch coverage from any round! The WRC, with Ken Block; will get more notice in the US of A no doubt - more money invested into the sport - Yes, just as Abu Dhabi has with Ford and it's WRC sponsorship. Don't forget now that the ISC has changed to North One Sport. Is that good news? What will we see from that?
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 78 Times in 27 Posts
    Sponsorship and who-pays-the-bills rules this sport not matter what level you are at, from club rallying to WRC. You act and perform to cater to the needs and tastes of the people who are supporting you.

That is why there is always a big push for a French driver to be seen driving a French car in the WRC. Luckily for the past few years, Loeb has been able to provide, but in the past there have been lack lustre efforts made by people who got their drive simply because they fitted the marketing strategy at the time. There are many other drivers who were knocked back because they were not the right person from a marketing point of view, despite their obvious talent.

Ken has a specific support base that is not from a traditional rallying background and so he has to pander to their needs in a non-traditional way. Heck, if I was to be supported by opera singing bingo players in my rallying efforts, I would be more than happy to sing falsetto while calling out bingo numbers in order to get it done.

The important thing here is that we have an extra car competing which is always better than have none.
    Happiness is using the side windows more than the windscreen

In reply to being asked what 240Kph on Watagans Road was like:-
    \"Wait till I check my pants, I didn\'t know whether to sh#t myself or orgasm!!!\"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    http://www.monsterworldrallyteam.com/
    no sign of Chris Atkinson. Ken will do "some" WRC rallies, not news yet which ones, and drive a Fietsa S2000 in Rally America Series.
    R.I.P. all WRC heroes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    First event looks to be Mexico. Ken drove there already.... good place to start.
    Passion will make you crazy, but is there a other way to live ? :burnout:

Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts
    WRC coverage can be tailored to a certain market to give it a regional balance. So I'm sure coverage in America can be made to heavily include Ken, a bit like what Dave in the UK did with Matt Wilson.

But in Europe I doubt he will get any more coverage than a Villagra or a Rautenbach. Obviously when he debut's he will get a decent mention/interview but beyond that he will be lucky to get a couple of glimpses per show in Europe IMO. Unless he crashes that is.

That is why hiring Atko would increase visibility for the brand and hence make it a more worthwhile marketing exercise for Monster. That can be the only issue really and is something that a few people on the forum share. I have no problem with any new sponsor or driver entering. The more machinery the better. The car will look great also I have no doubt.

But if they want to be taken seriously they need a top 8 calibre driver like Chris to back up all the posturing with some actual results. If you're going to do it then why not do it properly.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia