Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    There's no further news on how road positions will be decided. This information was given out by AKK Sports CEO Jarmo Muhonen in his article on rally's newsletter. It said, translated from Finnish:

"We'll start on Thursday 29.7.2010 with little celebration and driving one stage in the city, by which results' will the running order for the next day be decided. Idea in itself isn't new, we have thought about it for years. Now we want to pilot it for the whole series in Finland".
    He placed his words so that it can't be ruled out either way that whether the running order is decided normally throughout the field or perhaps so other way for Top 10 or Top 15. Like you mentioned, it propably isn't a stage win anyone desires to take if it means you're running first the next day.

Mahonen also promised that there'll be plenty of positive surprises according the route and show surrounding it. It must be remembered that it is the 60th 1000 Lakes.
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Damn...! I have to be conducting my service to this country just the same year when the 60th anniversary edition of Finnish world rally. I'd say what a great timing...not.

I'm hoping getting to see Saturday's action live though. So that I can keep my consecutive Finnish world rally visits going. That would be 17th.
    Satakymppi, oikee yks

Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts
    I would hope they do some reversing of the road order. If you're a driver and you think if I win this I can be tenth on the road tomorrow then that is real incentive to push. But if not then I feel it would be a tactical nightmare.

Too much we see drivers not wanting to push so this would be a good idea if they do the reverse. I suppose there is also a question of whether this will be allowed by the FIA. It looks like they are trying to give organisers more freedom so lets hope so.

Also here's hoping they can get some cameras there and make this a live tv stage.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Quote Originally Posted by Simmi
    I suppose there is also a question of whether this will be allowed by the FIA.
    "The concept had FIA's and ISC's approval last week", said Mahonen, but again he could be referring to Saturday finish only.

Liked 2,839 Times in 1,612 Posts
    I remember in 99 they had a stage in the city of Jyväskylä, in the area of Savela. In and out of the houses and finnish at the icehockeyarena, I do think.

Can it be like the same in 2010?
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Clerk of the course Kai Tarkiainen said in an interview for YLE news that they've been in contact with Finnish and other drivers that own historic rally cars used in 1000 Lakes. Intention is to drive the cars through some of the stages plus an exhibition to Service Park area.

At this stage of the planning, there are 19 stages: 140 kms for Friday and 160 kms for Saturday. Route will be published as usual at the time Rally Guide 1 is published. 2009 RG1 was out February 27th.

Liked 578 Times in 210 Posts
    So then, there will be more stages per day to get to then, i.e. with timing that lets you get to 3-4 per day instead of the usual stay for two runs and maybe one other if you're lucky?
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 311 Times in 207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJippo
    NORF 2010 will start on Thuirsday evening with one SS in Jyväskylä (maybe Harju?) and road positions for Friday will be based on results of this stage. Rally will end on Saturday evening so no stages on Sunday and total stage mileage is a bit over 300 kms.
    Good news! I was tired of wasting my time with boring driving on Sunday, when the game was already over. Let's now hope the event will keep the excitment until the end of the day. Can't wait...
    When you're tired of rallying...you're tired of life

Quote Originally Posted by J4MIE
    So then, there will be more stages per day to get to then, i.e. with timing that lets you get to 3-4 per day instead of the usual stay for two runs and maybe one other if you're lucky?
    Not necessarily if rally totals only 300 km. This year it was 345 km, 131 km on Leg 1, 167 km on Leg 2 and 47 on Leg 3. Clerk of the Course Kai Tarkiainen has already mentioned that it could be 140 km on Leg 1 and 160 km on Leg 2 which would mean that Saturday would actually be shorter than this year.

In an interview for local newspaper Jämsän Seutu (Saturday November 28th) Route Manager Pekka Tähtinen mentioned that there won't be many changes to the stages around Jämsä region (Leg 2), however they're just starting to make deals for which roads are available. I understood from the interview that Himos stage could be in danger. From another source I've heard a rumour that Kaipolanvuori stage which was used in 2007 and 2009 could make a comeback next year.

I remember reading from some FIA regulations or related material that WRC events should end (meaning: podium) before 6 PM so that media coverage could be done in time. I should find out about that where it was, but could this be the case with Saturday-finish rallies as well. I really hope not.

Other new things I learned from the Jämsän Seutu article was that the podium will be at Lutakko harbour (which is on the other side of the road from the Service Park) and also - alas - that there will be no additional Group F Vetomies race in 2010.

Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts
    So on the face of it it doesn't seem like the Finnish fans are getting a better deal here.

Probably an earlier start too on the Saturday morning. I was expecting rallies to be adding km's rather than shaving them off.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia